New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Unhappy Thread  (Read 88309 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Unhappy Thread
« Reply #1275 on: December 03, 2018, 09:20:35 PM »
Finally got through to the tax people at HMRC today and they agreed I have overpaid quite a large sum of tax. I'm told they'll put a form in the post within the next 14 days for me to fill in and return, and that any payment would then take 20 working days to be made. The cogs grind very slowly for them but I think t'would be different if I was at fault :unimpressed:

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1276 on: December 03, 2018, 09:29:17 PM »
 they'll put a form in the post within the next 14 days for me to fill in and return, and that any payment would then take 20 working days to be made

To be continued... in the Happy Thread around mid Jan 2019. :D
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online class37025

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • Awards
« Reply #1277 on: December 03, 2018, 09:53:14 PM »
 they'll put a form in the post within the next 14 days for me to fill in and return, and that any payment would then take 20 working days to be made

To be continued... in the Happy Thread around mid Jan 2019. :D

no - don't forget there is christmas postal delay, closed for HMRC christmas party, christmas, new year, HMRC new years party..........

might get it by easter, if HMRC don't have an easter party  >:D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:54:32 PM by class37025 »
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #1278 on: December 03, 2018, 11:39:20 PM »
No sure whether this belongs on the happy, unhappy, or angry thread.

I reached the milestone (millstone?) age of 65 today.  More time for modelling, perhaps, but a nasty reminder of the advancing years.  No doubt there will be a string of replies saying that I am a mere youngster, but it doesn't feel that way this morning.  :'(
Just wait soon your days will filled so full with NHS appointments that you wonder what leisure time was, and you will know off by heart every poster and magazine in the waiting room. Seriously you will soon find you don't have enough hours in the day with all your new found leisure activities.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1279 on: December 04, 2018, 02:47:51 AM »
Finally got through to the tax people at HMRC today and they agreed I have overpaid quite a large sum of tax. I'm told they'll put a form in the post within the next 14 days for me to fill in and return, and that any payment would then take 20 working days to be made. The cogs grind very slowly for them but I think t'would be different if I was at fault :unimpressed:

As a new State Pension recipient, my wife recently found out that tax on the State Pension is charged on what she has been paid plus the amount sitting in the Government’s bank that she did not receive until two weeks into the new tax year. This means that a new state pension recipient is liable for the tax on up to 4 weeks pension accrued but not paid at 5 April. So if your first pension idue week is in early March you could receive no money in the tax year but be liable for the tax on the 4 weeks of accrued pension!
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1280 on: December 04, 2018, 06:39:42 AM »
That's interesting, Mike. Not sure I understand but no real surprise.

My state pension isn't taxable at source but forms a chunk of my personal allowance. My 'other' pensions get taxed and have their own tax codes.

There's no escape!

Dave G

Offline talisman56

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #1281 on: December 04, 2018, 09:46:06 AM »
I shall be at the GPs on Wednesday morning,  my answer would be,  I'm fine,  which I am, as long as I keep taking the pills.  The visit is to the Vampire.  The following week,  I shall visit again and my answer will be I'm fine.  I will be prodded, weighed, measured and get the results of the Vampire.

Aaah, the annual 'MoT' - I went down to have the blood-sucking bit done last week, and within 24 hours had a phone call from them saying we didn't like something we saw, can we have another lot?  :worried: ???
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1282 on: December 04, 2018, 09:47:25 AM »
That's interesting, Mike. Not sure I understand but no real surprise.

My state pension isn't taxable at source but forms a chunk of my personal allowance. My 'other' pensions get taxed and have their own tax codes.

There's no escape!

Dave G

Yes Dave, it was a bit surprising. She drew down a pension amount which meant the total income she received in the tax year was £12 over her personal allowance. The tax she had to pay was over £70 because HMRC counted the weeks of State Pension due before 5 April but which she did not receive until 10 April. This "accrued" amount put her £350 over her personal allowance.

From the Income Tax (Earnings and pensions) Act 2003, Part 9, Chapter 5 :-

"577
United Kingdom social security pensions
(1)
This section applies to—
the state pension,
graduated retirement benefit,
industrial death benefit,
widowed mother’s allowance,
widowed parent’s allowance, and
widow’s pension.

Taxable pension income
If section 577 applies, the taxable pension income for a tax year is the full amount of the pension, benefit or allowance accruing in that year irrespective of when any amount is actually paid. "

If a person is in employment the relevant date for tax is the date that an amount is actually received, not earned or accrued.

Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #1283 on: December 04, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »

Don't forget to ask for interest on the overpayment - after all, they rack that on any underpayment you have to make, along with the 'late payment' penalty...  >:(

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #1284 on: December 04, 2018, 09:49:58 AM »
I shall be at the GPs on Wednesday morning,  my answer would be,  I'm fine,  which I am, as long as I keep taking the pills.  The visit is to the Vampire.  The following week,  I shall visit again and my answer will be I'm fine.  I will be prodded, weighed, measured and get the results of the Vampire.

Aaah, the annual 'MoT' - I went down to have the blood-sucking bit done last week, and within 24 hours had a phone call from them saying we didn't like something we saw, can we have another lot?  :worried: ???

I sincerely hope your repeat test brings good results..

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #1285 on: December 04, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »

As a new State Pension recipient, my wife recently found out that tax on the State Pension is charged on what she has been paid plus the amount sitting in the Government’s bank that she did not receive until two weeks into the new tax year. This means that a new state pension recipient is liable for the tax on up to 4 weeks pension accrued but not paid at 5 April. So if your first pension idue week is in early March you could receive no money in the tax year but be liable for the tax on the 4 weeks of accrued pension!
Unless they have finally fixed the problem in the first year of retirement the inland revenue computer includes an estimate of earnings that includes the last years earnings plus state pension in the calculation of tax code. When I retired i queried the tax calculation and it was immediately recalculated manually. 

Online class37025

• Awards
« Reply #1286 on: December 04, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »
another point to consider, if your wife does not use all her tax allowance for her pension/s, she can transfer 10% [IIRC] of her tax allowance to you.

We did that when my wife retired, as my various pensions took me over my allowance.

worth looking into, 1d saved is 1d towards an N gauge loco  >:D

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #1287 on: December 06, 2018, 10:47:04 PM »

So I went down for another blood sucking session, and after the deed was done, the nurse went to update the computer and suddenly said 'wait - they wanted a fasting blood test'. The person on the phone didn't say that, says I. 'OK, these are useless, can you come in again, after fasting this time?'  >:(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:48:17 PM by talisman56 »

Online class37025

• Awards
« Reply #1288 on: December 07, 2018, 10:18:50 AM »
left hand - right hand  :veryangry:

Online GroupC

• Awards
« Reply #1289 on: December 09, 2018, 02:23:15 PM »
Quite a few pages ago I posted that my friend had found out he has a brain tumour.

Since then it was diagnosed as the least bad sort, still needing surgery to remove however. He's now had another MRI and they told him it wasn't what they first thought. He's going in tomorrow for a 6-hour op to have it removed. All of this is awful enough but he apart from the initial "access" phase into his head, shall we say, he has to be awake for he whole operation.

Sort of puts stuff into perspective really and I cannot begin to imagine how his wife and family will be feeling tomorrow.

If anyone has 5 minutes spare tomorrow from about noon could they please send positive vibes towards Leeds General Infirmary. I would appreciate it greatly.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything