!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Unhappy Thread  (Read 96786 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Unhappy Thread
« Reply #1350 on: February 02, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
Sadly I think rather than being unlucky this time, you've been lucky previously. It's the reason I stopped buying from Japan and the States.

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • Awards
« Reply #1351 on: February 02, 2019, 02:11:59 PM »
I agree, just think you've been lucky so far.

wouldn't dare to suggest HMRC been set new targets  :-[

I've been very lucky with many kits etc for wargames, and ummmm[ SWMBO might see this, so will not commit details] one or two Cl37s  :angel: over the years, and only got the dreaded duty once.

OK, I don't mind the duty, what annoys the hell out of me is that Royal Snail charges me £8 for me to drive to their depot, always one you can't walk / get a bus to, to pay them to take the duty.

why can't HMRC just e-mail me, let me pay the duty on line, and cut out the robbing b******s at RM ?
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1352 on: February 02, 2019, 03:00:59 PM »
why can't HMRC just e-mail me, let me pay the duty on line, and cut out the robbing b******s at RM ?

Because the good ship RM is sinking quickly enough as it is. Without little earners like this to help bailout a little, they'd be sunk already. :D
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #1353 on: February 02, 2019, 04:16:59 PM »

Because the good ship RM is sinking quickly enough as it is. Without little earners like this to help bailout a little, they'd be sunk already. :D

I may be wrong but I believe RM handles it as a delegated customs function and their "markup" pays for the customs shed and to employ dedicated RM staff.  so its the government that are dodging the cost of processing them at customs.

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #1354 on: February 02, 2019, 05:22:04 PM »
Today im unhappy being back in the uk were its a cold,2C outside,and being charged £4  for a pint,compared to yesterdays 34C and 8000 kip(80p) for a pint.Heating is on full bore and im still cold were as yesterday the AC was on full bore and i was still sweating.

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #1355 on: February 02, 2019, 05:33:02 PM »
Today im unhappy being back in the uk were its a cold,2C outside,and being charged £4  for a pint,compared to yesterdays 34C and 8000 kip(80p) for a pint.Heating is on full bore and im still cold were as yesterday the AC was on full bore and i was still sweating.

Interested to know where you have been?
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1356 on: February 02, 2019, 05:42:38 PM »
Laos?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #1357 on: February 02, 2019, 06:02:31 PM »
Indeed Laos PDR. most people mistakenly think PDR means  People's Democratic Republic when it actually means Please Dont Rush,a pretty accurate description of the country

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • Awards
« Reply #1358 on: February 02, 2019, 06:23:00 PM »
WHAT ?
government dodging it's responsibilities ?
how could you suggest such a thing ?
next you'll be suggesting they don't want to comply with the wishes of the people, or that they would use funds to repair their duck houses .....

oh of course some did  :smiley-laughing:
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #1359 on: February 02, 2019, 07:17:11 PM »
I may be wrong but I believe RM handles it as a delegated customs function and their "markup" pays for the customs shed and to employ dedicated RM staff.  so its the government that are dodging the cost of processing them at customs.

Spot on. RM has to operate and staff an entire department to deal with customs charges. Also in order to get the parcels released it (I'm 99% sure it still does) also pays the duty and then has to reclaim it from the customer and, of course, they don't always pay so RM lose out. £8, although a pain, is a lot less than some other carriers and isn't something RM make any kind of profit out of and is part of their Universal Delivery License obligations.
From a retired postie.

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #1360 on: February 13, 2019, 05:20:33 PM »
I was shredding some old documents and receipts when I discovered... an old-style paper £10 note! Great, that's something to put on the Happy Thread, I thought. The next day we were on grand-parenting duty so we took Babygrand into town to the soft-play centre and while we were there I paid the note into my account. When we got back to the car we had overstayed our welcome and we got a £25 parking ticket.  :(

The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away. Ho hum.

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1361 on: February 13, 2019, 06:14:42 PM »
Had some unhappy news today The Essex N gauge show at Weeley has been cancelled it was a really nice show last year ,but Steve the organiser has had to cancel it this year due to unforeseen circumstances .
But there is a good end to this I can now go to the Berkshire Area N Gauge Groups show at Sindlesham on the 30th March and do something to help them as they allways make me wellcome at their running sessions .
The show is not very big but they do set a good standard of exhibits and at least two trade stands John Burnham the stock box man and the local model shop from Twyford  and of course the usual club second hand stall.
Bob Tidbury

Offline JBQFC

• N Gauge Society Number: 9651
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #1362 on: February 13, 2019, 07:15:59 PM »
not a good couple of days for me my colitis has blow up big time spending more time in the toilet than anywhere else
so a trip to the doctors today got some meds but have to wait till tomorrow for the pharmacist to get them in
and on top of that my Dad has been taken in to hospital with eyesight  problems

John   

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1363 on: February 13, 2019, 07:26:13 PM »
Hope things soon improve for you and your Dad John.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1364 on: February 13, 2019, 08:32:33 PM »
Hope things soon improve for you and your Dad John.

Wot David said.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything