!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Unhappy Thread  (Read 108039 times)

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
Re: Unhappy Thread
« Reply #1260 on: December 01, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »
This way the receptionists have of asking “is it urgent” always amuses me, as this implies some sort of diagnosing ability by the person seeking help.

And if my own habit, and that exhibited by many patients on Channel 5’s weekly visit to a GP practise is anything to go by, most patients, when initially asked by the Doctor, “How are you today?” will look on the positive side and answer “Fine, Doc”, even if subsequent examination proves they are anything but.

Here’s hoping you get seen on Monday. :thumbsup:

It winds me up when you are in the waiting room and one of the regulars comes in and asks Doris in the corner, "How are you?" When she answers I'm fine, the grandchildren are good etc etc I really want to shout out to her "Why are you taking up a valuable appointment time then if you're fine?" I've refrained until now but catch me on the wrong day and I'm not so sure I could stay quiet when I hear that.
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1261 on: December 01, 2018, 12:32:06 PM »
No idea if it's correct but I'm guessing most appointments are made via the phone.

If you are able to call for an appointment you must almost surely be able to cancel using the same method. If someone has done that for you here again a someone could kindly also make the cancellation on your behalf.

So fortunate where we are as in spite of the everyday 08:00 'appointment-making call jamming', we can be seen by a doc usually on the day.

Good luck!

Dave G

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1262 on: December 01, 2018, 12:37:14 PM »
This way the receptionists have of asking “is it urgent” always amuses me, as this implies some sort of diagnosing ability by the person seeking help.

Indeed, it takes a qualified physician to make a qualified diagnosis.

I have had a 'telephone consultation' before for something else and this was followed by an actual appointment about a week later. I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure I will need to see a GP this time, I don't think it can be cured over the phone.

Sorry John, I wasn't trying to suggest your ailment was trivial - though I sincerely hope it is and hope you get well soon. On at least one occasion (maybe only one occasion even,) a phone appointment resulted in the doctor insisting I immediately attend the surgery. It can be a very quick and efficient route to accessing a qualified physician.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #1263 on: December 01, 2018, 01:11:33 PM »

Indeed, it takes a qualified physician to make a qualified diagnosis.

My tale

It was over 10 years ago but I rang the surgery and asked for a Doctor to call because I’d come out in spots all over my body! “Can you get to the surgery? “, Yes but as I said I’ve come out in spots and I’ve no idea what has caused them. “Well you will have to come in” so off I went, I left my shirt cuffs unbuttoned and when I got to the surgery and saw the receptionist, in a slightly louder voice than usual I related my tale “You said I would have to come in” swept back my sleeves to show the very red spots “These are the spots” She uttered a loud cry “Isolation room!” and I was whisked away past very disturbed waiting patients. It turned out to be nothing infectious fortunately but as the doctor said you should have had a house call.
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #1264 on: December 01, 2018, 01:15:10 PM »
I'm not sure that a missed appointment fee would do anything other than annoy those that genuinely forgot or mixed up the dates for those that have booked a routine appointment weeks ahead. Whenever I have been to my GP or to a hospital appointment, they have always been running late and I have had to wait a considerable time. I am sure they factor in for an average number of missed appointments and would be in real trouble if everyone turned up!

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1265 on: December 01, 2018, 01:47:29 PM »
Sorry John, I wasn't trying to suggest your ailment was trivial - though I sincerely hope it is and hope you get well soon.
No worries, I didn't take it that way

On at least one occasion (maybe only one occasion even,) a phone appointment resulted in the doctor insisting I immediately attend the surgery. It can be a very quick and efficient route to accessing a qualified physician.

So can staging a sit-in at the surgery which is what I will do on Monday if they don't give me an appointment  :(
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1266 on: December 01, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »
Whenever I have been to my GP or to a hospital appointment, they have always been running late and I have had to wait a considerable time.

Yes but if you turn up late it's a different matter. I was a little bit late once and the electronic check-in machine wouldn't accept me. The receptionist did though with a warning not to be late again as it can throw the whole day out just before telling me there would be a 10 minute delay as the GP was running late! This was of course a GP 10 minutes which in reality is a 30 minute delay.
If I keep replying to these messages I'm going to have to go over to the angry thread  :o
John

<*))))><

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
« Reply #1267 on: December 01, 2018, 01:53:05 PM »
 :laughabovepost:
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1268 on: December 01, 2018, 02:38:46 PM »
@Trainfish
And they wonder why people go to A & E to sit for hours and clog the place up, John ::)
Our GP has a 'walk in' surgery on Mondays if you can be prepared to sit for ages with folks with colds who think the doc should cure them. Tuesday afternoons are set aside for training so no surgery. Thursday there's no GP, just the vampirephlebotomist doing blood tests, and there's no weekend surgeries :unimpressed:

@snitchthebudgie
Congrats on reaching the ripe age of 65. I hit this early October and have to say the state pension and heating allowance will help my model train purchases :D

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1269 on: December 01, 2018, 02:58:41 PM »
It was rumoured that my surgery were going to have a regular walk-in session but I think they then realised that the queue would probably end up in the supermarket car park next door.
John

<*))))><

Offline talisman56

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #1270 on: December 03, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »
When I was a lot younger the usual modus operandum was that one went down to the doctor's surgery and sat in the waiting room with everyone else until you got to the front of the queue...

Mind you with all the coughs, sniffles, etc that all the other waitees had you ran the risk of coming out with at least double the ailments you went in with...

Anyone who asks me 'how I feel today' when I'm down at the Health Centre usually gets an answer on the lines of 'I'm here, what do you think?'
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:43:22 AM by talisman56 »
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #1271 on: December 03, 2018, 10:43:53 AM »

Anyone who asks me 'how I feel today' when I'm down at the Health Centre usually gets the answer on the lines of 'I'm here, what do you think?'

It does make you feel like replying "I'm absolutely ticketty-boo. I just thought I'd spend a few hours seeing what I can catch for a future visit" I took my Mum to A & E once (on the recommendation of her GP, and the 2 nurses on reception bickered for a good 10 minutes as to who was going to book her in ::)

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1272 on: December 03, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »
So can staging a sit-in at the surgery which is what I will do on Monday if they don't give me an appointment  :(

Sit-in wasn't required. I went there at 9 and saw a GP by 9:30. Left with a form to fill out for physio  :goggleeyes:
John

<*))))><

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #1273 on: December 03, 2018, 01:23:19 PM »
 :jawdropping:

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #1274 on: December 03, 2018, 06:23:53 PM »
I shall be at the GPs on Wednesday morning,  my answer would be,  I'm fine,  which I am, as long as I keep taking the pills.  The visit is to the Vampire.  The following week,  I shall visit again and my answer will be I'm fine.  I will be prodded, weighed, measured and get the results of the Vampire.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations