!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The angry thread  (Read 495470 times)

Offline Nick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
Re: The angry thread
« Reply #6165 on: September 29, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »
am I expecting too much to get a reply, even if only of 'sorry, changed my mind / too expensive / etc' or is this the general level of manners to be expected these days ?
This drives me up the perishing wall, it really does. And it seems to be getting worse. It's happening regularly with business emails - I ask client  contacts for information that they have to supply to me or I can't give them what they are paying me for, and I receive no response. I don't know whether the email is lost in the ether, they are sick or on holiday or just too busy. "Thanks, Nick, I'll get round to that next week" would be fine. I'd know where I was.

Worst of all is asking Americans for something problematic. If they can't answer positively, they just go dark. For weeks sometimes. All I can think is it's a unwillingness in US business culture to admit failure.
Grrr.  :headbutt:
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #6166 on: September 29, 2019, 05:37:36 PM »
am I expecting too much to get a reply, even if only of 'sorry, changed my mind / too expensive / etc' or is this the general level of manners to be expected these days ?

I am afraid this is the way of things now.

It’s known as “Ghosting” and places like Gumtree are rife with it. Person contacts you asking if the item is still for sale and you answer “yes” and never hear from them again. Sometimes they get as far as asking where you are but then.....

Worst of all is tradesman / women.

I am trying to PAY for a service, but there is no sentence that fills me with dread more than “leave your phone number and we will call back”.

:veryangry:

Skyline2uk

Offline Jon898

• Awards
« Reply #6167 on: September 29, 2019, 05:40:12 PM »

You should expect a reply, but also should not be surprised if you don't get one.

One thing I've noticed is that many (maybe most?) people are using their "phones" to scan emails and other communications.  Once they've done that and unless they reply immediately, the message is lost into the miasma of newer messages and cannot be found ever again.  I suspect this is happening more and more as the (anti)social media trend continues to grow.

Just speculation on my part...

Jon

Offline emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #6168 on: September 29, 2019, 06:03:02 PM »

It’s known as “Ghosting” and places like Gumtree are rife with it. Person contacts you asking if the item is still for sale and you answer “yes” and never hear from them again. Sometimes they get as far as asking where you are but then.....

I am trying to PAY for a service, but there is no sentence that fills me with dread more than “leave your phone number and we will call back”.

Skyline2uk

On the tradesman front allow me to defend a little.

I used to get calls on the landline, they'd leave a message and I'd respond.

Now, I get calls on the landline and the mobile. Probably 70% are sales/scam calls where they've gleaned my information from the web, but the telephone numbers look like local numbers or mobiles. I used to answer all calls immediately, but found it felt like the phone was never out of my hand, affecting my work rate. So I let the answerphone/s take it. You listen the call and it just says this is 'abc' please call me on '123'. Some of these are sales/scam calls. It gets wearing and time consuming answering these.

If the person has left name, number, brief description of requirements and location they'll get called reasonably promptly.

Then you're getting email enquiries, text enquiries, WhatsApp enquiries. In amongst all this you actually have to find time to call these people, some of whom chat for an hour about nothing, visit people to have a look at jobs, write quotes, eat a meal, breathe and occasionally talk to the wife.

It's a constant battle to sort the wheat from the chaff. I'll be the first to admit I prioritise regular clients and those leads that sound the most promising. I won't call people after 9pm, because they don't answer, inevitably some people don't get called for a few days, sometimes a week or so. People get missed, and some get forgotten. Sorry, I'm only human.

In an ideal world I'd have a secretary, but I can't afford it.

Please don't be too harsh on us.

:'(
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #6169 on: September 29, 2019, 06:21:07 PM »

Skyline2uk

On the tradesman front allow me to defend a little.

I used to get calls on the landline, they'd leave a message and I'd respond.

Now, I get calls on the landline and the mobile. Probably 70% are sales/scam calls where they've gleaned my information from the web, but the telephone numbers look like local numbers or mobiles. I used to answer all calls immediately, but found it felt like the phone was never out of my hand, affecting my work rate. So I let the answerphone/s take it. You listen the call and it just says this is 'abc' please call me on '123'. Some of these are sales/scam calls. It gets wearing and time consuming answering these.

If the person has left name, number, brief description of requirements and location they'll get called reasonably promptly.

Then you're getting email enquiries, text enquiries, WhatsApp enquiries. In amongst all this you actually have to find time to call these people, some of whom chat for an hour about nothing, visit people to have a look at jobs, write quotes, eat a meal, breathe and occasionally talk to the wife.

It's a constant battle to sort the wheat from the chaff. I'll be the first to admit I prioritise regular clients and those leads that sound the most promising. I won't call people after 9pm, because they don't answer, inevitably some people don't get called for a few days, sometimes a week or so. People get missed, and some get forgotten. Sorry, I'm only human.

In an ideal world I'd have a secretary, but I can't afford it.

Please don't be too harsh on us.

:'(

@emjaybee

That’s all very understandable.

But what I was referring to was when I actually speak to a person, not a machine.

That person then promises to call back by x time.

9/10 that never happens and I give them 1 extra day and then ring somebody else.

I am sorry but why commit if you can do it?

Skyline2uk

Offline Nick

• N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
« Reply #6170 on: September 30, 2019, 11:52:51 AM »
One thing I've noticed is that many (maybe most?) people are using their "phones" to scan emails and other communications.  Once they've done that and unless they reply immediately, the message is lost into the miasma of newer messages and cannot be found ever again.  I suspect this is happening more and more as the (anti)social media trend continues to grow.
It is. Another side effect of people checking emails on their phones that I've noticed is that many don't read beyond the first screen. They never read what scrolls off the bottom. You have to write emails as though they were tweets to get through to these people.

Which is a slight problem as not every idea fits in 280 characters... :headbutt:

Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here