!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Happy thread  (Read 366799 times)

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Happy thread
« Reply #4410 on: March 25, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
Brilliant.  :thumbsup:
It's quite unusual for huskies to be off lead isn't it?
My cousin has 4 and he says the tendency is for them to just run and run if they manage to get free.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #4411 on: March 25, 2020, 04:00:00 PM »
And after a couple of miles, they stop and wonder where the sled has gone. (Sorry, couldn't help myself  ;)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4412 on: March 25, 2020, 04:04:39 PM »
Molly Spaniel came in from walkies about 15 minutes ago, covered in mud as she'd find a puddle in the Sahara.  What melts my heart, though, is seeing her taking her own towel into the bathroom ready for the habitual clean-up :thumbsup:

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • Awards
« Reply #4413 on: March 25, 2020, 04:11:38 PM »
officially when you adopt a husky, you sign to say you'll only exercise them off the lead in an enclosed area.

yeah right, where do you find one of them.

we got Oscar when he was 6 months old, and at the time we also had a seven year old rescue shepherd, Coco, who we had had for 3 years and was quite 'clingy' to me.
it was usual for me to run her off lead, and she was 100% on recall.

after about six months, I tried Oscar off lead, but on a link to Coco, and he soon learned to come back when called, well to start with she'd bring him back, or he'd be put firmly in his place by her.

after a while I was able to remove the link.

when we lost her, I did have concerns about him off lead, but found that if you were sensible, ie
empty field, no other dogs or humans in sight
no neighbouring fields with sheep or cattle
and you kept a firm eye and control of him if he wandered too far
[ie not like 70% of dog owners around here - open car boot - let dog run off - go on phone - sometimes even be in same field as dog, but don't worry if not - allow dog to run up to other dogs, even if they are on leads, and do nothing to try to recall them - allow to mess everywhere but ignore]

then he could stretch his legs, chase around like the idiot he is, and he'll return when called, as long as you keep checking your surroundings and recall him as soon as you see a distraction

if there are any distractions around, then he's on a long lead.
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #4414 on: March 25, 2020, 04:17:27 PM »
officially when you adopt a husky, you sign to say you'll only exercise them off the lead in an enclosed area.

yeah right, where do you find one of them.

we got Oscar when he was 6 months old, and at the time we also had a seven year old rescue shepherd, Coco, who we had had for 3 years and was quite 'clingy' to me.
it was usual for me to run her off lead, and she was 100% on recall.

after about six months, I tried Oscar off lead, but on a link to Coco, and he soon learned to come back when called, well to start with she'd bring him back, or he'd be put firmly in his place by her.

after a while I was able to remove the link.

when we lost her, I did have concerns about him off lead, but found that if you were sensible, ie
empty field, no other dogs or humans in sight
no neighbouring fields with sheep or cattle
and you kept a firm eye and control of him if he wandered too far
[ie not like 70% of dog owners around here - open car boot - let dog run off - go on phone - sometimes even be in same field as dog, but don't worry if not - allow dog to run up to other dogs, even if they are on leads, and do nothing to try to recall them - allow to mess everywhere but ignore]

then he could stretch his legs, chase around like the idiot he is, and he'll return when called, as long as you keep checking your surroundings and recall him as soon as you see a distraction

if there are any distractions around, then he's on a long lead.
Now I understand. We have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (she is 6 today by the way), and she is good with re-call but not when there are distractions. We have never lost her though. Great excuse at the moment to get out for our allowed daily exercise.  :)
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline class37025

• Awards
« Reply #4415 on: March 25, 2020, 05:39:56 PM »
some breeds seem to have a very short 'memory'

so teach to 'sit'  :thumbsup:

now teach to 'heel'  :thumbsup:

oops, sit has fallen out of the memory  >:(

teach to 'here' [recall]  :thumbsup:
got it,

oops, heel has now disappeared  :'(

however, as I was told on the first day of my RAFP QPD course ...

there are no bad dogs, only bad handlers

so, you need to give your dog 100% attention, at all times,
if he messes up, it's not his fault, it is yours

something the majority of IDOs [Idiot Dog Owners] don't understand.

Offline daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #4416 on: March 25, 2020, 05:52:38 PM »
Your are so right!

Iíve had almost identical problems with training, and some commands are never retained no matter how often and carefully I try to teach them.

But then my wife does tell me she tries her best.

:D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline cycletrak9

• Awards
« Reply #4417 on: March 25, 2020, 09:32:44 PM »
We've always had Labradors so training is no problem- if there is food as a reward they'll do exactly what they are told! Mind you their definition of food is a little vague so don't leave half finished models lying around - see Oscar the church eater on one of my earlier posts.

Offline class37025

• Awards
« Reply #4418 on: March 25, 2020, 09:36:05 PM »
Your are so right!

Iíve had almost identical problems with training, and some commands are never retained no matter how often and carefully I try to teach them.

But then my wife does tell me she tries her best.

:D

I'm afraid that in my experience, some dogs / bitches are untrainable and indeed can turn violent, so ...

I'd advise against using a check chain and lead, you could overburden the already overstretched NHS  :'(

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #4419 on: March 26, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »
Well I have to work been a key worker on the 1:1 scale trains so not rest for the wicked here, but with Mrs Acko expecting due very very soon we have received a letter identifying her as high risk so she is confined to the house.

But my boss has been amazing and will I be collecting a work van to allow me to avoid having using public transport to get to/from work, so as much as we all grumble about work I can't say work aren't looking after me, the better half and the babies.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #4420 on: March 26, 2020, 02:51:00 PM »
That's a relief gareth and means you can hum your own tunes  be by yourself . I've been put on other duties as cover. Wish you and mrs acko well

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4421 on: March 26, 2020, 03:17:43 PM »
Thatís really good news Gareth a bit different to my son and daughters experience Glenn works in an open plan ticket office only 18 inches away from the public Iím 73 with high blood pressure and diabetic Val has had a head injury and was in hospital two years ago with pnuemonia so we are both high risk and vulnerable but was told by his boss that he HAD to go to work .
My daughter does the same and she was ordered to go in at half past five in the morning to open up the station ,she has no one to look after her 1 year old and 5 year old girls and her husband has allso been told he has to go to work .
We canít have the girls with us as obviously they both want to see and be with Mum or Dad .
This is really bad and still you see Morons totally disregarding all the information in the news and on  the tele .
BUT IM GLAD THAT YOUR FIRM HAVE HELPED YOU OUT AND WISH YOU AND YOUR WIFE ALL THE BEST FOR THE FUTURE .
SORRY if not all of this is in the wrong thread .
Bob Tidbury

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal