!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Happy thread  (Read 417503 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Happy thread
« Reply #4395 on: March 22, 2020, 07:01:57 AM »
Good news!  :thumbsup:

I have visions of you finding it whilst scrabbling around on all fours under the layout ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline TrevL

• N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
« Reply #4396 on: March 22, 2020, 07:34:21 AM »
And I bet it was in the last place you looked :D
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #4397 on: March 22, 2020, 08:57:41 AM »
The sun is shining, the flowers on the beautiful Magnolia tree in our neighbours garden are opening their petals to the sky, acting as a counterpoint to the  two vases of flowers delivered to my wife yesterday, from her children, that are likewise welcoming the sunlight.

The TV is off, sparing us from the latest depressions, a hearty breakfast has just been enjoyed and despite the cold winds I am looking forward to getting out into the garden.

And for my beautiful wife Sheila, there is the prospect of relaxing and being pampered and a FaceTime session or two with her children and grandchildren.

Happy Mother’s Day one and all! :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline talisman56

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #4398 on: March 23, 2020, 11:33:16 AM »
I'm happy today because I was finally able to pick up some bog roll from Tesco (one pack) as the shelf-clearers have transferred their attentions to the alcohol aisle after the Government's decision to order all Pubs, Clubs, etc to close...  :bounce:

I was envisaging not recycling my old newspapers tomorrow and cutting them up into squares...
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Offline TrevL

• N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
« Reply #4399 on: March 23, 2020, 11:48:19 AM »
I was envisaging not recycling my old newspapers tomorrow and cutting them up into squares...

I'm thinking that is recycling at its best.
However, I read an article the other day, that somewhere in the northeast, they have had to clear sewage blockages caused by people using newspaper.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #4400 on: March 23, 2020, 11:56:54 AM »

However, I read an article the other day, that somewhere in the northeast, they have had to clear sewage blockages caused by people using newspaper.

Aye. I for one believe that Times is rough!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:59:28 AM by Delboy »
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #4401 on: March 24, 2020, 05:57:39 PM »
It’s been a John Denver kind of day today, with wall to wall sunshine, and I took the opportunity to make my permitted single daily exercise a cycle ride around the Lincolnshire fenland.

Long, flat straight roads make for easy progress and I was in no hurry, though the southerly wind was keeping the legs working hard. My circuit was a distance of about 15 miles in all and I took my time, the ride made the more pleasurable because of the marked lack of motor vehicles due to the shutdown. Farmers were busy in the fields with all manner and sizes of machinery, but throughout my journey I was passed by only about ten vehicles, one of them a Police patrol car, keeping an eye out for anyone flaunting the new regulations, I suppose.

Villages near me are like my own, a single ribbon of houses along each side of the road and not much more, with a few very small industrial premises, but mainly farmsteads. These latter punctuate the landscape and are of course visible for miles across the open fens where hedges are few and far between, and trees are either solitary or in small copses.

The road scheme is very gridlike, north-south and east-west, enclosing very large fields by some English standards, and drainage ditches usually closely parallel the roads, the larger ones predominantly flowing gently eastward towards the sea.

The beautiful sunshine took my mind completely away from the current crisis, helped by the sight of a group of five Egrets taking flight at my approach from the biscuit-brown waters of a ‘drain’; the gentle paddling of a pairs of Mallards; an ever hungry Moorhen exploring the waterline of a ditch; the gentle murmur of the fresh breeze through grasses and telephone wires as it took the effort out of my northward return to home; and the background thrum of tractors as their drivers worked them across the rich brown earth of the fields.

A wonderful day to remember, and as I gently pedalled along I found a song in my heart that encapsulated how I was feeling:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=diwuu_r6GJE

Sometimes you just need to switch off from all the tragedy that is invading our lives.

Stay well all of you. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:00:48 PM by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline talisman56

• N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #4402 on: March 24, 2020, 06:28:45 PM »

Aye. I for one believe that Times is rough!

...and the Financial Times is for those with a pink bathroom?
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Offline David Asquith

• N Gauge Society Number: 23346
    • Awards
« Reply #4403 on: March 24, 2020, 06:34:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing that with us.  An experience probably very rare these days.  Your description poetic in parts and John Denver, by me, under rated.

Dave

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #4404 on: March 24, 2020, 07:26:45 PM »
It’s been a John Denver kind of day today, with wall to wall sunshine, and I took the opportunity to make my permitted single daily exercise a cycle ride around the Lincolnshire fenland.

Long, flat straight roads make for easy progress and I was in no hurry, though the southerly wind was keeping the legs working hard. My circuit was a distance of about 15 miles in all and I took my time, the ride made the more pleasurable because of the marked lack of motor vehicles due to the shutdown. Farmers were busy in the fields with all manner and sizes of machinery, but throughout my journey I was passed by only about ten vehicles, one of them a Police patrol car, keeping an eye out for anyone flaunting the new regulations, I suppose.

Villages near me are like my own, a single ribbon of houses along each side of the road and not much more, with a few very small industrial premises, but mainly farmsteads. These latter punctuate the landscape and are of course visible for miles across the open fens where hedges are few and far between, and trees are either solitary or in small copses.

The road scheme is very gridlike, north-south and east-west, enclosing very large fields by some English standards, and drainage ditches usually closely parallel the roads, the larger ones predominantly flowing gently eastward towards the sea.

The beautiful sunshine took my mind completely away from the current crisis, helped by the sight of a group of five Egrets taking flight at my approach from the biscuit-brown waters of a ‘drain’; the gentle paddling of a pairs of Mallards; an ever hungry Moorhen exploring the waterline of a ditch; the gentle murmur of the fresh breeze through grasses and telephone wires as it took the effort out of my northward return to home; and the background thrum of tractors as their drivers worked them across the rich brown earth of the fields.

A wonderful day to remember, and as I gently pedalled along I found a song in my heart that encapsulated how I was feeling:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=diwuu_r6GJE

Sometimes you just need to switch off from all the tragedy that is invading our lives.

Stay well all of you. :thumbsup:

Thank you for that! It reminded me vividly of my surveying days around the Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire borders many years ago. You've made this Fenland exile feel quite homesick!

You stay well too.

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #4405 on: March 24, 2020, 07:53:52 PM »
Glad you liked it Chris. :thumbsup:

Oddly enough, when my wife and I moved here a little over 6 years ago I was rather dismissive of the landscape, having the regretful temerity to refer to the vistas as “miles and miles of naff all” (except I didn’t use the word ‘naff’  ;)).

Though my birth and upbringing was in Northamptonshire, and later life predominantly on Buckinghamshire, which are only slightly bumpy, I grew to have a passion for the mountainous lands. So there being no mountains in this area - save for a butchers in Boston, well known for their fine sausages, named Mountain - I think you can understand my initial feelings.

Now however I love it! And that old description has been replaced by a more fitting one: “Big sky country.” And that is true for both day, and night when the lack of light pollution makes for some wonderful dark nights punctuated by the lights of the universe.

:beers:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:55:15 PM by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #4406 on: March 25, 2020, 08:15:20 AM »

So you  live near Denver sluice ?

Except we have a few more slopes I wouldn't call them hills it was a very close description to round here as I look from the garden across the fields and marshes..

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #4407 on: March 25, 2020, 08:26:11 AM »
No, not close to the Denver sluice. I’m on the top edge of the fenland. In fact in the neighbouring village a mile or so away their is a property very aptly named ‘Wolds End’. The low hills of the Wolds give a northerly backdrop to my forays, and I only venture into the hilly bits there on my bike when I’m feeling 100% = which is rare.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4408 on: March 25, 2020, 08:58:46 AM »
@daffy
Reading your post (#4401) made me immediately play Jethro Tull's album 'Heavy Horses' - a wonderful volume describing English countryside and practices
 :thankyousign:

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+40)
    • Awards
« Reply #4409 on: March 25, 2020, 03:49:51 PM »
except for a couple of days when we had heavy frosts, the hairy beast has not been over the fields since well before christmas.

clay is holding the water, and even on a lead he gets plastered with mud, which works it's way into his undercoat and between his paws, so it's been road exercise, which has the advantage of wearing down his claws, and no need to repeatedly wash his coat, removing natural oils.

but, with the last few days of sunshine beginning to dry the fields, yesterday and today we have chanced it, and for the first time in months he's been able to run free, chase squirrels [they cheat and run up trees], chase magpies [they cheat and fly off], and hunt mice [one caught in 6 years, and he dropped it]

so, a happy husky at long last ...

typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal