!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Happy thread  (Read 355694 times)

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Happy thread
« Reply #4365 on: December 07, 2019, 01:36:11 AM »
I found a mobile phone at my local station (here in Tokyo) in front of the ticket machines on top of a pile of paper, obviously someone had put it there while purchasing a ticket and forgot about it, so being a good Citizen-of-Nowhere™ I handed in to the station staff before someone trod on it.

In other happy news,  the local authority munificently and unexpectedly transferred a retroactive lump sum of kindergarten subsidy which I wasn't aware we would get  :beers:
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Jon898

• Awards
« Reply #4366 on: December 07, 2019, 01:43:19 AM »
I found a mobile phone at my local station (here in Tokyo) in front of the ticket machines on top of a pile of paper, obviously someone had put it there while purchasing a ticket and forgot about it, so being a good Citizen-of-Nowhere™ I handed in to the station staff before someone trod on it.

In other happy news,  the local authority munificently and unexpectedly transferred a retroactive lump sum of kindergarten subsidy which I wasn't aware we would get  :beers:

Karma in action...

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #4367 on: December 07, 2019, 03:30:02 PM »
Sleep well tonight Ian

Online Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #4368 on: December 07, 2019, 05:08:37 PM »
My wife and I had a query about our income tax so we phoned HMRC. God bless 'em, within a week we got a cheque for £900!

I know HMRC get a lot of stick, but we've always found them to be really helpful. Might be able to afford new wardrobes after Christmas now.

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Online Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #4369 on: December 14, 2019, 06:43:25 PM »
........... and now my pension payslip shows a £40 rebate!  :laugh3: :claphappy: :bounce: :claphappy: :laugh3:

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #4370 on: December 14, 2019, 06:49:35 PM »
And with that £40 you can buy some coat hangers for the wardrobes.  ;D
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4371 on: December 14, 2019, 10:34:28 PM »
Meanwhile HMRC have just told me that I’ll underpay tax by nearly £2,000 this year, so they’ve ‘adjusted’ my tax code to recoup it before April. Grumble grumble. Sorry, wrong thread!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 10:37:12 PM by njee20 »

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #4372 on: December 25, 2019, 12:59:56 AM »
WE GOT RAIN!  35mm.
A very nice Xmas present.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #4373 on: December 30, 2019, 02:06:17 PM »
So anybody who saw my rantings about Eon, a smart meter and broken boiler in the Angry Thread will know the story and how we submitted the case to The Energy Ombudsman.....

Who have just found entirely in our favour, deeming that we are due the full £90.00 repair bill plus £60.00 compensation.

Result!

So anybody who has problems with an energy company: The Ombudsman system seems to be fairly easy to use, and quite fast.

Skyline2uk

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #4374 on: December 30, 2019, 02:15:40 PM »
Nice result to end one year and start the next on.

Good for you.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline TrevL

• N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
« Reply #4375 on: December 30, 2019, 03:00:27 PM »
Who have just found entirely in our favour, deeming that we are due the full £90.00 repair bill plus £60.00 compensation.

For me, that would be like getting  free gas and electricity for the next three months.  Top result there. :thumbsup:
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4376 on: January 03, 2020, 11:22:44 AM »
I received the car insurance renewal quote just before Christmas. So, as you do, I started looking round and found a quote from anther company that was €50 cheaper, although the cover was not quite the same. I have just contacted the current company, (well, one of those on line chat things), and the upshot is that they have reduced my renewal by €40. Still €10 dearer, but I do not now have the bother of setting up anew with the other company and the current company does have slightly better conditions, so quite happy with myself.  :thumbsup: . I know €40 is not a fortune, but it is money that is better in my pocket than the insurance company and I was only on the chat thingy for about 15 minutes. (Plus, I got the household insurance company to reduce their asking price by about €100 a few weeks ago, so doubly happy).

As has often been said, it pays to shop around.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:24:23 AM by dannyboy »
David.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4377 on: January 03, 2020, 05:51:49 PM »
Further to the above, Louisa's wage went into the bank today and there was nearly €40 more than normal. I checked her payslip against the one from last week and saw that she had paid no tax. I checked a letter she had received a couple of weeks back from the Tax Office and, sure enough, our combined tax credits have all been moved to Louisa as I am not working. The tax due on her wage and my Irish pension is a couple of Euros less than her tax credit, so no tax to pay.  :claphappy:

Then what? I get an email from the Motor Tax Office reminding me that the car tax is due this month. Oh well, 'swings and roundabouts'. Still, what I have saved on insurance renewals will go a long way towards the motor tax.  ;)
David.

Online Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #4378 on: January 03, 2020, 06:07:33 PM »
In a similar vein to Davids' post above, Della had her insurance renewal through, for no apparent reason it had gone from £220 to £280 (it's only a 1L fiesta for goodness sake!)
A quick compare the meerkat search got that down to £170 with Churchill for the same level of cover. Sick fed up with being penalised for loyalty and being good, law abiding citizens.
Bottom line, Della (potentially) saved £110, so happy days and a gold star for me  :D

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4379 on: January 03, 2020, 08:52:02 PM »
In a similar vein to Davids' post above, Della had her insurance renewal through, for no apparent reason it had gone from £220 to £280 (it's only a 1L fiesta for goodness sake!)
A quick compare the meerkat search got that down to £170 with Churchill for the same level of cover. Sick fed up with being penalised for loyalty and being good, law abiding citizens.
Bottom line, Della (potentially) saved £110, so happy days and a gold star for me  :D

Just saved myself £200 on my car insurance renewal so that's paid for my pair of 56xx locos :D

As my current insurer is on automatic renewal I had to ring them to say I would not be renewing with them this year and they then tried everything to keep me with them such as 'loyalty bonus' which their underwriters would not be aware of. I just told them they should have offered me their best price in the first place and not rip me off for the higher premium. That made the guy cough a bit but still he tried to persuade me to stay with them. In the end I just asked what part of 'I'm not renewing' could he not understand and he said my paperwork inc NCB proof would be in the post in the next 4 days >:D
I'm looking forward to being on personal terms with Winston Wolf with enough savings to buy Morag's coffee :D

Agree with Lawrence wholeheartedly. My loyalty henceforth will be to my own wallet.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal