!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.  (Read 709843 times)

Offline TalyllynJon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.
« Reply #4635 on: July 05, 2019, 08:27:16 AM »
no I couldn't bring myself to weather the loco - it's far too pretty!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #4636 on: July 05, 2019, 09:13:25 AM »
The S&D blue livery has been a favourite of mine. I wouldn't weather it either.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #4637 on: July 05, 2019, 09:53:37 AM »
no I couldn't bring myself to weather the loco - it's far too pretty!

Phew! It is quite beautiful. :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #4638 on: July 05, 2019, 12:50:49 PM »
Good idea - I'll try to pick up a couple of cheap old Farish coaches, spray them blue and then add a hefty dose of weathering. Normally I like to have most of my models in pristine condition (I'm only interested in pre-WWII, when locos and carriages were usually looked after much better than in the '50s & '60s|). But the S&D's nickname was the 'Slow & Dirty', so a couple of grimy coaches might be justified!

a good thread here

the weetabix coaches are usually very cheap and easily repainted into generic blue four wheelers., and you can add staple connectors

Halfords Balliol / Oxford blue is an alternative colour.

An NGF search on SDJR coaches will turn up a lot of extra info.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:20:41 PM by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4639 on: July 05, 2019, 03:41:28 PM »

So I've been slowly collecting stock for my planned layout, set in mid-Wales. Well that's the theory anyway. In practice I keep going 'off script'!

Of course now I'm going to need a train for it to pull, which could be a challenge. Best bet is probably to look out for old Grafar 4 wheel coaches in S&D livery - but they seem to go for silly money (what were they made out of - solid gold?)

Oh my gosh this is so so pretty! 

Offline TalyllynJon

• Awards
« Reply #4640 on: July 06, 2019, 05:11:42 PM »
So I've been spending again (might be time to lock the credit card away for a bit!). I've been after one of these for a while though - so I grabbed it as soon as I saw it. Question is - what is it? Yes I know it's Flying Scotsman! According to the box Dapol claim it is an A1. But it has the square cover plates on either side of the smokebox which was one of the distinguishing features of the 220psi A3 boiler. It also has the pipe down the left hand side of the boiler showing it was left hand drive - I believe it was converted from right hand drive at the same time it was rebuilt as an A3. So that makes it an A3 right? Well no, because by the time Scotsman was rebuilt as an A3, in 1947, it had been renumbered as no. 103, so it can't be an A3. Unless somebody knows something I don't (quite probably - I'm far from an expert at spotting the difference between the A1s and A3s) it looks to me as if Dapol have just stuck a round dome onto their A3 model - right dome on the wrong boiler! (I know some A3s had round domes, but I believe Flying Scotsman only had a banjo dome after rebuilding). Maybe I should stop being pedantic and just admire it for the thing of beauty that it is!

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #4641 on: July 08, 2019, 12:49:16 PM »
The S&D blue livery has been a favourite of mine. I wouldn't weather it either.  :thumbsup:

I'd repaint it black - the correct livery for this loco ;)

Offline TalyllynJon

• Awards
« Reply #4642 on: July 09, 2019, 12:10:39 AM »

Don't even joke! I don't know what it's like in the model railway world, but on the full-sized railways there are whole armies of boggle-eyed fruitcakes who work themselves into a frothing frenzy every time somebody dares to paint a loco in anything other than BR livery!!!!

Offline scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #4643 on: July 09, 2019, 12:15:20 AM »

So I've been slowly collecting stock for my planned layout, set in mid-Wales. Well that's the theory anyway. In practice I keep going 'off script'!

Of course now I'm going to need a train for it to pull, which could be a challenge. Best bet is probably to look out for old Grafar 4 wheel coaches in S&D livery - but they seem to go for silly money (what were they made out of - solid gold?)

It's utterly gorgeous!
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline TalyllynJon

• Awards
« Reply #4644 on: July 09, 2019, 09:10:05 AM »

Ahhhhhh! - I was being a bit slow on the uptake yesterday (not unusual I'm afraid!). Just been looking at a couple of books and you're absolutely right - the 3Fs were painted in lined blue, but the 4Fs were only ever unlined black.

In a strange way that makes me like it even more! One of the reasons for buying it was that it reminds me of the S&D Trust's 7F no.88, when it was also inaccurately painted in S&D blue livery. Personally I always loved seeing it in blue and was sad when they repainted it in BR livery a couple of years ago. I know it isn't accurate - but, the Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust are bound to want a blue engine and with no suitable locos surviving the 7F is the closest they could get (plus, of course, no. 89 also survives and is painted a more authentic black).

Offline Jeff_W

• Flickr - Bluegrass Railfan
    • Awards
« Reply #4645 on: July 13, 2019, 11:04:52 PM »
Bought the new Kato ICE 4.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #4646 on: July 15, 2019, 05:57:51 PM »
Bought the new Kato ICE 4.

A lovely looking train. Probably runs more reliably than the real ones! (I am a frequent overseas traveller to Germany and despair at DBahn sometimes)
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline Jeff_W

• Flickr - Bluegrass Railfan
    • Awards
« Reply #4647 on: July 15, 2019, 06:28:48 PM »

A lovely looking train. Probably runs more reliably than the real ones! (I am a frequent overseas traveller to Germany and despair at DBahn sometimes)

Thanks!

I've never heard about the reliability of this train or any issues they have. I am kinda envious of the accessibility of passenger rail in Europe. I've ridden a few trains, all on museums, save for a Norfolk Southern steam excursion on the CNO&TP in 2014. I have to drive at least 2 hours to ride Amtrak, and the closest train (the Cardinal?) makes its stops in the middle of the night. I can also drive west for about 4 hours and catch Amtrak, either the Illini/Saluki from DuQuoin/Carbondale,IL to Chicago, which runs in daylight, or the middle of the night City of New Orleans, which stops in my home state at Fulton,KY. Not viable options!

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #4648 on: July 16, 2019, 09:58:36 PM »

Thanks!

I've never heard about the reliability of this train or any issues they have. I am kinda envious of the accessibility of passenger rail in Europe. I've ridden a few trains, all on museums, save for a Norfolk Southern steam excursion on the CNO&TP in 2014. I have to drive at least 2 hours to ride Amtrak, and the closest train (the Cardinal?) makes its stops in the middle of the night. I can also drive west for about 4 hours and catch Amtrak, either the Illini/Saluki from DuQuoin/Carbondale,IL to Chicago, which runs in daylight, or the middle of the night City of New Orleans, which stops in my home state at Fulton,KY. Not viable options!

But the USA put a man on the moon 50 years ago this week. And we need to reduce CO2. And planes are full. So how about some nice 300mph dead straight High Speed Rail?

I hear California and New York State are experimenting with high speed rail - will it take off?

I also found this video: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/07/why-is-there-no-high-speed-rail-in-the-us.html what do you think?

(Sorry mods this is off topic - Started a new post at
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45898.0)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:06:53 PM by DarrwestLU6 »
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #4649 on: July 17, 2019, 11:36:16 PM »
I have managed to aquire 2 of DR Al's locos, 1 is a Princess pacific, the other a 7F 0-8-0 otherwise known as an "Austin Seven". not really my region, but I will plead rule 1 happily as they are both exquisite.

Regards,

Alex

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything