!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Unhappy Thread  (Read 128137 times)

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
Re: Unhappy Thread
« Reply #1050 on: May 27, 2018, 08:05:14 PM »
in my day, back when Pontias was a pilot, there were RTO offices at most London railway stations, and they would I'm sure been ably to sort something out for you.

no doubt all gone now, in the interests of 'efficieny / economy / cost cutting'

just like the military, army, navy and air force, hospitals, as opposed to a couple of wards in an NHS hospital

may I join the others in hoping that all is not as bad as was initially thought.
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Online acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #1051 on: May 27, 2018, 09:21:37 PM »
Hi gents,

Thanks for you good wishes, @StufromEGDL if I knew that I would have got them to get you on call with your driving even from Heathrow it would have taken less time!
@class37025 I won't lie I have no idea what an RTO is, but having been with family and now maybe not calmer but relieved to be with family I can say that Oxford station is the exact opposite of what I experienced at Euston, when returning from tours they use to (and most likely still do) send someone out to meet you and get you sorted and on your way with as much help as they can offer, even offering to carry kit for you (brave when you consider how heavy we like our bags) on one occasion a mate of mine missed the last train home and they sorted him out with a taxi to a station where there was a later train which could get him home.

So I would never slag the entire railways staff off as I know there are plenty of good guys out there just my luck to get stuck with the jobsworths yesterday right at the time I needed it the least

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
« Reply #1052 on: May 28, 2018, 08:41:44 AM »
RTO, I'm sure I've got that right, was IIRC rail transport office, basically a small movements section.
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #1053 on: May 28, 2018, 12:25:11 PM »
Well, here we are, May Bank Holiday, and the start of the annual mad month in our village of Lindfield. Today is the Village Run, when they close some roads and we have dozens of sweaty bodies pounding up the lane near our house with their breath coming in short pants...

Then, on Saturday, it is Village Day. Usually a lovely day, but they close the High Street, so you have to choose your journeys carefully and the sound of the PA can be heard a mile away.

The week after it is the South of England Show for 3 days. The weather is usually vile. They don't close any roads, but for some reason they direct the leaving traffic through our village which clogs up the roads again.

Then a week later, the icing on the cake comes in the form of the London-Brighton Bike Ride. Again, they don't close any roads but the High Street is one-way southbound and you can't cross the road because the stream of cyclists belting down the hill is quite literally continuous, at least during the morning, so it makes no sense to try and go anywhere. The keen ones are practising the route already...

Worthy causes all, but we do wish it wouldn't all come at once.  :uneasy:

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline talisman56

• N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #1054 on: May 28, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »
Well, here we are, May Bank Holiday, and the start of the annual mad month in our village of Lindfield. Today is the Village Run, when they close some roads and we have dozens of sweaty bodies pounding up the lane near our house with their breath coming in short pants...

Then, on Saturday, it is Village Day. Usually a lovely day, but they close the High Street, so you have to choose your journeys carefully and the sound of the PA can be heard a mile away.

The week after it is the South of England Show for 3 days. The weather is usually vile. They don't close any roads, but for some reason they direct the leaving traffic through our village which clogs up the roads again.

Then a week later, the icing on the cake comes in the form of the London-Brighton Bike Ride. Again, they don't close any roads but the High Street is one-way southbound and you can't cross the road because the stream of cyclists belting down the hill is quite literally continuous, at least during the morning, so it makes no sense to try and go anywhere. The keen ones are practising the route already...

Worthy causes all, but we do wish it wouldn't all come at once.  :uneasy:

Cheers,

Chris

I used to live in Lindfield, and that brings back all sorts of memories of 'when I were a lad'...
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1055 on: May 31, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »
Sadly our Maplins has finally bitten the dust :(
Always handy for the odd pack of 'stuff' whilst avoiding postage costs from the major on-liners.
Hey Ho.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #1056 on: May 31, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »
You were lucky, none of the 3 Maplinís branches around here ever had what I wanted without visiting all 3 to get it.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #1057 on: May 31, 2018, 12:46:35 PM »
You were lucky, none of the 3 Maplinís branches around here ever had what I wanted without visiting all 3 to get it.

You had choice? Luxury! ;)

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #1058 on: May 31, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »
One in the city centre, one in Solihull and one in Redditch. About a 30 mile round trip.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:49:48 PM by Malc »
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #1059 on: May 31, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »
Just placed an order with Rapid Electronics

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1060 on: May 31, 2018, 01:42:25 PM »
I used to use Maplin when they were a few people in a shed somewhere around Southend. You ordered a catalogue and it arrived with all the staffs photos on the inside and a free SI-FI poster.
Then they got bought out, moved up north somewhere, built huge warehouses and took shops all over the country and became generally useless.

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1061 on: May 31, 2018, 02:16:20 PM »
The wikipedia page gives some interesting information -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maplin_(retailer)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1062 on: May 31, 2018, 02:40:04 PM »
Their service certainly went down hill a while back but I still feel sorry for those that have lost their jobs.

Good luck to all those looking for other work - been there!

Dave G

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #1063 on: May 31, 2018, 03:01:51 PM »

Then they got bought out, moved up north somewhere, built huge warehouses and took shops all over the country and became generally useless.

You can't stop progress :no: :laughabovepost:

Offline mickeyflinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21893
    • Awards
« Reply #1064 on: May 31, 2018, 05:35:12 PM »
Sadly our Maplins has finally bitten the dust :(
Always handy for the odd pack of 'stuff' whilst avoiding postage costs from the major on-liners.
Hey Ho.
Have you tried CPC Farnell in Fulwood, Preston. Theyíre online, have a physical shop, and are generally cheaper than Maplins are/were.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything