Number of locos

Started by geofff, January 23, 2021, 01:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geofff

Hello

I've just started the layout again after 10 years. I have 10 locos (incl. a DMU) and now think that I have too many, so I've sold a few on Ebay.

How many locos have other modellers?

Regards

Geoff

Invicta Alec

You'll get  few answers on this, I'll bet.

I'm back into the hobby since Jan 2017. I have a modest 19 (1 kettle and 18 DEMUs).

I know of one member here who has lost count.  :D

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

OffshoreAlan

I'll be interested in the replies you get. As a recent newcomer to the hobby I have 3 locos and one DMU.  Once my layout is complete I will probably increase this number.

Paddy

Quote from: geofff on January 23, 2021, 01:22:07 PM
Hello

I've just started the layout again after 10 years. I have 10 locos (incl. a DMU) and now think that I have too many, so I've sold a few on Ebay.

How many locos have other modellers?

Regards

Geoff

Ah, the proverbial "how long is a piece of string" question!  ;)

The reality is that the majority of railway modellers have more locos than they could ever run on their current layout.

There are people who are very disciplined in their acquisitions e.g. specific time frame, region, liveries and so on.  Others, are advocates of Rule 1 and everything in between.

I have no evidence to support this, but I suspect with the price rises over the last few years the number of impulse buys has reduced.  Those of us who enjoyed the 2000s can attest to the amazing offers/deals that were available.

Alas, those days are behind us and your typical loco is now a more considered purchase for many.  :(

In terms of HOLLERTON JUNCTION, I had over 100 locos at one point and then I came to the conclusion that this was madness (for me).

Since the peak, I have slimmed the fleet down to just under 50.  Even this number is too high and no doubt a few more will be passed on in the future.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

PLD

There is no right or wrong answer. - It's purely personal desires and satisfaction...

Some collect one of everything, some like to build a representative fleet of which could be seen in a particular location at a particular time.

my only rule is that for an exhibition layout, I'd aim to have at least two suitable locos available for every job to cover for failures, so for the 1930s branchline which requires 5 trains, we have a fleet of 12 regular locos. For the 1950s/60s urban layout with fiddle yard space for 18 trains we have approaching 40 appropriate locos and half a dozen DMUs between two of us..

Trainfish

Including DMUs I have 197  :goggleeyes:
John

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Roy L S

Too many and "no idea" would be my response but I really don't see that changing. I am though slowly disposing of my few remaining non-DCC ones (except for my Class 44 and 45 - no chance!).

Roy

ntpntpntp

No such thing as too many locos if you enjoy owning and running them. It's not a competition either!  You may have more than your layout can support at any one time but maybe you like running sessions with different themes and periods of stock?

I'm definitely not someone who can just dispose and change theme as-and-when, I have more attachment to my models than that and truly appreciate them all. The last time I did anything along those lines would have been way back in the 80s when I switched from British N to Continental N. Since then I've found myself re-buying examples of the locos I used to have, purely for sentimental reasons even though I have no British layout to run them on  ;)

I think I may know who @Invicta Alec is referring to regarding losing count  :D   Actually the majority of my Continental N stock is inventoried and individually numbered but that doesn't account for everything (for example my crate of British N)

I agree with @PLD regarding exhibitions, I can populate 4 or 5 different cases of locos, one of which comes with me to a show with enough to run 2 dozen trains and with replacement/spare locos. If the show is near enough that I'm not staying over I may swap to a different case for each day. I can ring the changes and maybe run older period locos for a day if I feel like it.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

daffy

I only have a few as I've not been buying them for long - about 4 years or so - and including EMUs that few number 20.

I use the term 'few' in its comparative sense as from posts on other threads here I've learnt that some folks have 'lots', while others even have 'lots and lots', and some it seems even have a darned sight more than that!

But the real answer is that I have a mixture of what I want, what I like, and what I can afford, with an ever-changing list of others that I want, that I'd like, and only when I can afford them (and sometimes when I can't but what the heck! :D ).
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Ditape

I am not sure of the exact number but it's got to be 100+, and that number is growing regularly. :hmmm:
Diane Tape

ntpntpntp

@daffy yes can be a problem when too many speculative/cheeky bids and offers on ebay in a particular month result in yet another mint un-run bargain priced loco making its way here :D   

I suppose the current situation will curtail my forays into German ebay for a while though  :worried:  A money saver!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

SD35

No idea.  There's a large box of Poole Farish, minitrix and lima stuff knocking around somewhere and the contents haven't seen the light of day for twenty years or so.  Probably better off down the tip to make some space.  Does anyone still collect the old stuff?

daffy

The tip! :o

Please no!

Ads on here, or a list in a thread as I'm sure some of what you have will be wanted by others here.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

railsquid

Quote from: SD35 on January 23, 2021, 03:10:59 PM
No idea.  There's a large box of Poole Farish, minitrix and lima stuff knocking around somewhere and the contents haven't seen the light of day for twenty years or so.  Probably better off down the tip to make some space.  Does anyone still collect the old stuff?

Certainly not  :no:, but as it happens I a run an ecologically sound Model Train Recycling Service, so rather than go to the hassle of taking it to the tip and risk contaminating the ground water, put it in a box with my address on and I'll paypal you the postage.

Paddy

Quote from: SD35 on January 23, 2021, 03:10:59 PM

Hi Mike,

Please do not send to the tip.  There are lots of older models which are still valued by modellers.  Also, older models can be used for conversions etc.

Either list them on the NGF or eBay - you may be pleasantly surprised!

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00