!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longcroft  (Read 93860 times)

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
Longcroft
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:47:42 am »
I thought it was about time I started a layout thread even though I don't have any track laid yet. That's not strictly true though. I do have a twin test track made using Kato track so I can play with test some of my many locos bought over the last few years. So far my rolling stock is 63 x locos/DMUs, 131 x coaches, 190 x wagons. It will be quite a big layout to accommodate these and obviously needs to be.
I started in OO, sorry, so please try to ignore anything you see in the pictures which is obviously toy sized. I was lucky in that when I bought this house the previous owners had used the loft to store 2 of their kids in so it had 2 built in bed frames and was reasonably 'converted' into a room already. However, there has been a lot of change up there and all previously fitted woodwork etc was removed. I don't have pictures of what it was like, only pictures of when I started to build baseboards.
Anyway, enough of that, here we go with the first set of pictures taken in October 2007. Bear in mind that I'm not a fast worker as I have other interests which take me away from this hobby on a regular basis. I am however determined to spend more time on it now though as I have a huge amount of stock ready to be shown off.

First, how the room looked before I started building the baseboards.
The room is roughly 15' square and the layout will be based around the 1970s/1980s.

On the way up to the loft with some good solid stairs.

Next, if you take a left at the top of the stairs we start to look around the room starting in the stairs corner. There will eventually be a tunnel rounding this corner. The main station will be to the right and the TMD to the left.

Then the next corner. This will be the back of the TMD.

The third wall. This will incorporate a smallish town at a higher level than the track although there will be some hidden tracks at the higher level.

The opposite corner to the stairs which lets in a decent amount of natural light.

More pictures to come shortly if these work.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:13:44 am by Trainfish, Reason: Edit: forgot to add numbers of locos etc »
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Longcroft
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 01:10:37 am »
Now onto building the baseboards

John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline UPINSMOKE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25171
  • Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 01:19:26 am »
Looking good so far. Its going to be a bit bigger than my layout. Keep the pics coming on how you are getting on.
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 01:28:38 am »
More from when I built the baseboards. I admit there are a few OO items in these but I have left them in there to give you a better idea of the size of the layout. I promise they have now all been sold/scrapped.

The next couple of pictures show the centre section which will be a fiddle yard. This has actually been widened in the past couple of days so pictures will be posted soon of that part.

This one also shows how I got over (literally) the problem of the stairs. This will become a tunnel section partly so I can cover it up and reduce the risk of any expensive stock falling down the stairs.

Another view of above the stairs.

By this point most, if not all, of the boards have been fitted.

This is how it looks on the way up the stairs. Note the room below has now been decorated too.

Look away now if you're easily offended by that oh so OO stuff. I know I am these days! If nothing else if gives you an idea of what type of stock I will be running.

John

<*))))><

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 01:30:17 am »
Looking good so far. Its going to be a bit bigger than my layout. Keep the pics coming on how you are getting on.

Thanks mate. Maybe some more pictures to come tonight but loads to come over the next few months/years.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:38:14 am by Trainfish »
John

<*))))><

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 02:10:57 am »
Top stuff. Or it will be once the big toys go!  ;)

Seriously, great work.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 02:43:24 am »
Honest guv, all the big toys have now gone!

Here's what I have done recently. I have widened the fiddle yard area to cater for the higher level double testing/running in loops. These loops will be part of the layout but will have minimal points etc, probably just a passing loop each. I should be fitting the actual board to them this weekend and maybe even make a start on the upper level before the lower level. Believe me, I've given it a lot of thought and this will be the easiest way to do it. I think.

Please excuse the track towards the bottom left hand corner, this will be removed this weekend. The raised tracks will go on the framework which doesn't have a board on yet. The rest of this area will be my fiddle yard.

And a view from the other side. Apologies for a couple of these being out of focus. I noticed at the time that the flash didn't fire so the shutter speed will have slowed down, hence the blur. I will make sure it fires next time.

The end of the added section. This also shows 1 of the 4 emergency stop buttons I have installed in line with the power to the controllers so that if I see a disaster about to happen I can hit one of these and all trains will stop. The wife wants to know if she will be fined 200 for improper use, at least that's what it cost when I were a lad.

And finally this is where the fat controller will sit. I will be using 2x Vortrak controllers as there will be 6 tracks which can run continuously. Then there's the fiddle yard and TMD. You can also see here 1 of my storage cabinets. A 10 drawer Bisley cabinet with a piece of foam fitted in each drawer. Each of the drawers will hold up to 20 coaches or large wagons (40 small wagons) without having to remove them from boxes and put them back in boxes each day. I will have 3 of these cabinets, 1 red one for tools etc and 2 blue ones for rolling stock.

This thread is basically up to date as of today. Hopefully I'll do a bit more over the next few days and I will post pictures if I do. thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 02:44:40 am by Trainfish »
John

<*))))><

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 06:53:32 am »
Very impressive. Really looking forward to seeing how this will develop. The initial photos of your baseboard supports with shelves are how i envisage (in the distant future) my (planned) layout running on three sides of an upstairs room.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 09:52:44 am »
Fabulous space to playmodel in, Trainfish, and great to see the progress being made :thumbsup:
Not sure my back would allow me to have the layout at that height but the roof slope has dictated that, I guess. What height from the floor are the baseboards please?

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 12:03:02 pm »
You're really cracking on with your layout!  Well done indeed.  A wonderful space and you've used it to it's full.  :)  Great idea with the emergency buttons.  :D 

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 01:13:54 pm »
Wow - looks like it's going to be a monster! (Meant in the nicest possible way ofcourse). Absolutely fantastic - really enjoyed the pictures and will be looking forward to future updates.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 03:22:33 pm »
That's one problem of living in Spain, you don't get lofts and I'm real envious of all at lovely space and the great use you've made of it, looking forward to seeing this one develop.    :thumbsup:

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 10:48:09 pm »
No picture update today as all I have done is to cut the boards for the extension to the fiddle yard.

Nobby, the underside of the boards is a shade over 2 feet high which may not sound a lot and surprised me when I measured it, but it's pretty easy to crawl underneath for a 5'9" 18 stone frame.

Caz, I'd hate to live somewhere like you with all that sun, sand, sea and no lofts. Really I would.

Tank, even with just a twin test track the stop buttons have been used a few times  :goggleeyes:

Dan, I'm sure I know what you mean and yes, it will be a monster.

Chris, with the amount of stock I have the shelves are essential. In fact I could do with some more. Either that or some of the other junk has to go. I ordered my 3rd set of drawers today which will help a lot as it means I can then store a lot more stock boxes in another of those recycling boxes which the council are very good at giving away if you tell them your old one has been stolen or blown away in the wind. Surely they'll cotton on one day?

Anyway, hopefully a small picture update over the weekend and then I have to set to work removing all the PVA left over from the old layout. As promised I did today remove the last 2 pieces of toy track from the fiddle yard which will please some people  :thumbsup:
John

<*))))><

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 03:12:45 am »
Boards and cork now fitted. Hopefully on Sunday I'll get to start fitting the polystyrene to lay the upper level on. First though I need to have a good tidy up and ideally remove all the old PVA used to hold the old track down. Any ideas on the best way to do this will be welcomed. At the moment I think it will be a combination of a scraper and an electric sander. I have no idea if it will work but I'm willing to give it a go. Plus of course the wife will want other jobs done around the house.
Just 2 pictures of the completed fiddle yard extension, I reckon I could get up to 6 tracks in here.

Also found during testing that 1 of my 6x HSTs is running VERY slowly with dimmed lights and 1 just a bit slower than the others. Again, any ideas will be made most welcome.

John

<*))))><

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 12:14:32 pm »
Very impressive TF. It's certainly going to be a spectacular. I do envy you being nimble enough to get under those boards to wire up. My back is shot due to heavy lifting when I was much younger, so my modest 6 x 4 layout is hinged and on castors so I can get to all parts of it.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything