Hattons shutdown

Started by guest311, March 24, 2020, 01:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

jamespetts

It appears as though this may go considerably further than Hattons: the website says,

Quote from: Hattons
We are talking with suppliers & traditional competitors about an industry-wide "1 out, all out" decision to suspend all despatch operations. We will be making a decision at 10am tomorrow and an announcement will follow very shortly after.

People will need to consider very carefully what they might need in the next few months for projects and purchase it now while it is still possible.
Peertube > Youtube

crewearpley40

James has made a good point
I've rung a couple of shops and understand their reasoning and being honest, may just take longer than one may like, so rummaging round scrap boxes and James's suggestion and point is thoughtful. Happy modelling

Ali Smith

I've got so many projects unstarted or part done that I'll pick one and work on it until it's done or I run out of supplies then move on to the next one. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

jamespetts

Quote from: crewearpley40 on March 24, 2020, 04:07:24 PM
James has made a good point
I've rung a couple of shops and understand their reasoning and being honest, may just take longer than one may like, so rummaging round scrap boxes and James's suggestion and point is thoughtful. Happy modelling

May I ask what information that you were given by the shops?

I have just had an e-mail from Hornby in the following terms,

Quote from: Hornby
Our web shop currently remains open to customers.

We are constantly reviewing this in light of Government advice and in discussion with fulfilment partners.

However, delays in local delivery may occur which are outside of our control and we apologies in advance for this.

Stay safe.

We will continue to keep you updated through our newsletters, websites and social media channels and let you know if anything changes.

Thank you for understanding

In the meantime, according to the BBC, the Health Secretary has advised people who cannot work from home to continue to go to work, which may or may not be relevant to what model railway suppliers do regarding mail order services.
Peertube > Youtube

crewearpley40

I've been told due to staff shortages in one supplier but one chap works from home and took payment for a card kit or two just needed to get to the post office. Will update as and when

jamespetts

The latest from Hattons is as follows:

Quote from: Hattons
All orders are still being despatched but we have now suspended our "Next Day" service option. We do not currently have any plans to suspend our picking & packing operation.

We will continue to monitor the situation and update our customers as soon as possible if anything changes. We greatly appreciate your business, support and understanding during this difficult time.
Peertube > Youtube

guest311

order placed 24th, for essential locked down items
despatched 25th
delivered today

a big thank you to Hattons, and Royal Mail, for such service in these trying conditions.

thebrighton

They haven't suspended deliveries, only the next day service option as of 10:45 this morning:
https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=758

Ben A

Hello all,

Revolution has been sending out pre-ordered HOAs and some VEAs; packing being done using basic hygiene procedures as shown in the news item on our website.

Hattons did attempt to convene a conference call among traders, manufacturers and wholesalers to agree a complete shut down but this was not agreed for a variety of reasons:

1) Government guidance remains that postal services can continue
2) While Hattons may wish to protect their warehouse staff by closing, that does not apply to smaller retailers who can safely send out models while maintaining social distancing.
3) While hardly essential, model railways provide relaxation, stimulation and enjoyment for many, and mental health in isolation is an important consideration, so until the Government says otherwise most companies will continue to deliver.

Cheers

Ben A.

however I have been advised today that our local post office is closing until Tuesday due to staffing

Chetcombe

I got an email from Metcalfe this morning saying they had suspended online orders. I think we have to respect that each supplier will firstly follow government instructions, but also have to consider their own circumstances. At the end of the day, I have more than enough items on my layout 'to do' list to keep me busy

Stay safe everyone
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Paddy

What I do not understand is why Hattons wanted a sector wide shut down?  If they are genuinely worried about their own staff's wellbeing then close down Hattons for the duration.  What other retailers etc. choose to do (within the limits of government laws and guidance) is down to them.

So because a unanimous agreement to close could not be reached, Hattons' employees continue to work?  How does that satisfy their original concern?

No axe to grind against Hattons, indeed I am and have been a satisfied customer but this is strange.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

honestjudge

I asked myself this same question.  I can only think of a cynical answer but I am genuinely interested if there is another explanation.

jamespetts

Quote from: Paddy on March 27, 2020, 04:34:58 PM
What I do not understand is why Hattons wanted a sector wide shut down?  If they are genuinely worried about their own staff's wellbeing then close down Hattons for the duration.  What other retailers etc. choose to do (within the limits of government laws and guidance) is down to them.

So because a unanimous agreement to close could not be reached, Hattons' employees continue to work?  How does that satisfy their original concern?

No axe to grind against Hattons, indeed I am and have been a satisfied customer but this is strange.

Kind regards

Paddy

One inference is that Hattons might not have wanted people being able to buy elsewhere if they were shut down.
Peertube > Youtube

njee20

Well yes. That's the only inference!

It isn't ideal for them I get, but they can't mandate a shutdown of all the one man bands that can carry on merrily without talking to anyone.

So either they stay open, retain market share and risk staff, or they close, lose sales, but protect staff.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations