!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Chetcombe - West Dorset in the late 1960s and early 1970s  (Read 62231 times)

Offline Chetcombe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
Chetcombe - West Dorset in the late 1960s and early 1970s
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:55:38 pm »
Hello all

After several months of reading about others layouts, I thought it was time to share some of my own work! Your comments and suggestions are most welcome!

Just before my father died in December 2010, I promised him that I would build an N gauge layout for his grand kids to enjoy. I told him I would find a home for some of his trains, including a few that dated back to when I was a child in the 1970s. A great idea in principle, but after getting a back home to Pennsylvania I realized that putting it into practice was going to be quite a daunting task. Despite having grown up with a model railway going round all four walls of my bedroom, my input had been restricted to the detail items - building buildings and rolling stock from kits, painting, landscaping etc. Dad had taken care of the carpentry, the design, track laying and all the wiring; there was a lot of work ahead of me before I got to the part I felt most comfortable with. An uphill task confounded by the fact that my last modeling experience was well over 30 years ago!

The first thing was to decide on a them; this was easy. My father's hometown is in a beautiful rural corner of the county of Dorset in southwestern England. It comprises picture postcard countryside with sleepy little market towns and villages. The small town of his birth, Beaminster, never benefitted from the investment that a railway would have brought. Although who knows, a railway might have spoilt the incredible character and beauty that the town retains to this day. So my theme: Imagine if the railway had reached Beaminster... This conjured up thoughts of West Country main lines with junction stations also serving rural single track branch lines, the interchange of Western and Southern Region trains and tracks, rural industries such as agriculture and brewing and of course train tracks amidst that fantastic countryside.

Having grown up with Minitrix Warship's and Britannia's deciding on an era was easy! Late 1960's through early 1970's to focus on the diesel-hydraulic era in the West of England. The Warships and Hymeks of my childhood could hopefully live again, along with others that we hadn't had the luxury of modeling before such as Westerns and the ubiquitous Brush Type 4's (Class 47). With a bit of modeller's license that includes green, maroon and BR blue liveried diesels, with the beginning of HST operations in 1976 representing the extreme end of the era.

So after a good 6 months of planning, I got started in September 2011. 11 months later I now have a double track mainline loop as well as a single track branch loop in operation. There have been a lot of lessons learnt along the way as I embarked on new experiences such as building a baseboard, track laying, wiring for DCC, installing point motors and lighting. Many mistakes have been made along the way, although I have to say many more were avoided by reading some of the wise words found on N Gauge Forum!

I am now working on the scenery when time allows - about a quarter of the layout is close to being finished. The video below shows the branch line station at 'Chetcombe' with the double track mainline in the foreground. Dreams of recreating sleepy Dorset towns with their golden sandstone cottages with the currently available N gauge buildings is, of course, an impossible challenge. A lack of time (and skill) means scratchbuilding is not an option! But with a degree of modeller's license, I am happy with an approximation!

http://youtu.be/mrsJASiozX4l

Mike
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:40:35 am by Chetcombe »

swisstony

Re: Chetcombe - West Dorset in the late 1960s and early 1070s
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:26:32 pm »
 Looking brilliant, keep us updated!

Offline K-N-Gauge

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 09:28:45 pm »
looking good, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Offline cudders

• N Gauge Society Number: 21730
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:30:10 pm »
Nice indeed.. I can't make out where on the layout where the scenic part is though  ???

I am half asleep which doesn't help  ::)

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:31:33 pm »
That looks like it is going to be great fun, look forward to following its progress, don't forget to keep up us up to date with lots of  :camera: 'cos we like them  :)

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 09:39:36 pm »
Welcome to the forum Mike, great to have you on board.

i do know the Beaminster area and agree with you that it is beautiful.

Cracking layout - looking forward to seeing how this develops.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 09:46:53 pm »
Hello Mike, and welcome to the forum :wave:
It strikes me you have learnt well as your baseboards look just fine and I'm sure you will make a good job of the layout you promised your Dad. The era and location really appeals to me as I too love the hydraulics, and we are blessed in that we already have Warships, Westerns (and the Dapol Western on the way), Hymeks, Class 14's, and the yet to come Dapol class 22. My era is green/green with small yellow warning panel, but of course, I have Westerns and Warships in both green and maroon.
Please don't just report success though. If you have dropped a clanger and then remedied it, let us know as we can all learn from each other and it certainly helps the lesser skilled of us.
Best wishes in your modelling :thumbsup:

Offline Chetcombe

• YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:00:14 pm »
Apologies my attempt at embedding a Youtube video seems to have backfired! Anyhow - here is a video link to the section that is pretty well advanced

http://youtu.be/mrsJASiozX4

Mike

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 10:06:41 pm »
That does it >:( There are getting to be far too many good layouts on the forum.
I might just as well pack in this modelling malarkey and take up knitting ::)

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
  • MENSA No. 15740
    • YouTube
    • Sprintexnet
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 10:09:28 pm »
Wow!  8)

Some excellent scenic work there  :thumbsup: Nice long trains too, and running realistically  :)

Look forward to seeing more of this.

Paul

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
  • MENSA No. 15740
    • YouTube
    • Sprintexnet
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 10:14:27 pm »
That does it >:( There are getting to be far too many good layouts on the forum.
I might just as well pack in this modelling malarkey and take up knitting ::)

Just for you  ;)

Paul

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 10:17:50 pm »
I got some lovely little twee village cottages and a pub from

http://www.villagescenecraft.co.uk/

dunno if those are Dorset-ish at all (at least if painted the right browns). Nice castings, excellent prices.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Chetcombe

• YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 10:21:37 pm »
Many thanks for the tip "etchedpixels" - definitely a Dorset feel to those buildings. Good prices and International shipping as well - it can be a challenge sometimes to get those small details shipped to the US

Mike

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 10:29:51 pm »
Nice video even down to the Warship with a proper 8 coach formation.

I do like the station, it's nice use of the RTP buildings and has the feel of a lot of those small town stations where they built ludicrously fancy stations in the railway boom.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline galway

• N Gauge Society Number: 21458
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 10:34:41 pm »
Fantastic looking layout, love the video, I'm sure your father would be very proud  :thumbsup:
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £35.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £46.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
131% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything