!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Minitrix dinosaur  (Read 391 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Minitrix dinosaur
« on: November 07, 2019, 02:53:05 PM »
This one caught my attention on eBay and I ended up buying it:

Just another old Minitrix Type 2 diesel in chromatic blue, small yellow ends and white window surrounds. Minitrix were a bit quick off the mark getting their model out in BR Blue before BR had actually decided what BR blue looked like. But what's that leaflet under it?

Hand-drawn artwork by someone with some skill.  Note the address at the bottom: Courtaulds gave up on British Trix at the end of 1967 and the assets were transferred to a new company, Thernglade Ltd.  I haven't yet established when the Type 2 first appeared on the UK market, but I believe it was towards the end of 1967.  The box for this model is unusual.  It's actually the wrong box, labelled for a Mk1 coach, but has the correct foam insert and I have found one other Type 2 for sale with the same plain green box design.  I'm pretty sure these boxes were only used on Courtaulds models: the Thernglade models (1968 on) all seem to have been in standard German Minitrix packaging, green and yellow window box with a polystyrene tray.  So I suspect this slightly "playworn" Type 2 is one of only a tiny handful sold in 1967, at the very dawn of British N gauge.  If anyone knows anything more about the very early days of Minitrix in the UK I would be very interested to hear.

Richard

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+17)
    • Awards
Re: Minitrix dinosaur
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 03:33:13 PM »
My first N Gauge loco was this one, bought new for £4 in December 1969 from Bold & Burrows Ltd who had just moved around the corner to 12-22 Verulam Road, St Albans, Herts. So the stock may have dated from 1967 but was still on retailers shelves a couple of years later.

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 04:48:09 PM »
My first N Gauge loco was this one, bought new for £4 in December 1969 from Bold & Burrows Ltd who had just moved around the corner to 12-22 Verulam Road, St Albans, Herts. So the stock may have dated from 1967 but was still on retailers shelves a couple of years later.

£4 sounds cheap.  A new Farish Pannier cost £5.99 in the newfangled decimal currency in July 1971, and inflation wasn't that high then although things were about to get much worse.  Bankruptcy stock?  I admit to a fascination with very early N Gauge: next on my list is a Farish Holden tank in GER blue, in its lovely little imitation velvet lined box.  So pretty, and such a terrible piece of mechanical design.

Richard

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+17)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:17:54 PM »
Good point about the price. The RM for March 1967 gives the RRP at just under £6. This has jogged my memory and I think I part-exchanged this model with some old Hornby tinplate stock which the shop proprietor was keen on collecting, so that probably accounts for the apparently low price. I think the deal might well have included some Minitrix track and half a dozen points as well which I would have acquired at around the same time.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 06:08:15 PM »
Oh my how things have increased in price...or have they?
https://www.officialdata.org/uk/inflation/1967?amount=6
Links the buying power of £6 from 1967 to 2019. Its very interesting to read that £6 then is worth about £108 now. So a six quid loco when I was 4 would cost about £108 quid now. And thats pretty accurate as far as locos are concerned I would say.
Just for the sake of interest.

Cheers
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 06:11:52 PM »
That sort of very early issue of a model is just the sort of thing that piques my collecting interests.  An interesting and unusual find!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online BramptonBranch

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 07:17:41 PM »
I have the blue Holden and it runs! also the black one and that runs to!!
Lovely little things wouldn't part with them for a modern one either. :D

Offline AndyRA

• N Gauge Society Number: 3048
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 08:28:54 PM »
Might be considered a dinosaur, but a brilliant and reliable chassis. I still have some that date back to when they were new in the late 1960s. However they have found a new lease of life under other things.

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 01:09:09 PM »
I have to say the mechanisms of Minitrix locos (even then) were excellent and showed how our German cousins like to over engineer everything.  If only locos today were as robust...  I still have four Minitrix Britannias and they run wonderfully (should have added with all different names and numbers!).  :D

Paddy
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:11:07 PM by Paddy »
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMLEwYTXc6fdwur2wOb0LA/videos

Online BramptonBranch

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 03:29:55 PM »
A Minitrix dinosaur warship just sold for £92 + £5 postage on eBay.....

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 10:47:05 PM »
Despite Fleischmann having the name and the reputation at the time I have found that Minitrix mechanisms of years ago keep going well after their Fleischmann equivalents have bitten the dust.

The only down side is the enormous current they seem to draw by modern standards makes them difficult to find a suitable chip for if you want to fit them for DCC.

Les

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 08:47:09 AM »
The Minitrix 2F/T3 chassis, all bought at-least-2nd hand, all at least 30 years old, powers most of my layout's loco stable.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 08:56:58 AM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00