A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021

Started by woodbury22uk, February 09, 2019, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

Quote from: woodbury22uk on May 14, 2021, 12:04:55 PM
Quote from: davidinyork on May 14, 2021, 11:59:28 AM
Can they be fitted with a standard coupler to 'drag' them with a loco?

The Kato instructions can be viewed here.

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/schedule/pdf/20210419152438607d22265a324/class800.pdf

You will need to modify the coupler on the dragging loco or the Class 800 just like the real ones need adapters. Kato show the shape of the drawbars used to join two units.

I assume this idea is to push a dummy locomotive or you could have problems.

RailGooner

Trainfish

QuoteYour Rails of Sheffield order has been delivered

:claphappy:

I guess that means I'll be spending time in the loft later then  :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

osborns

to those of you who have not had Kato Locos (EMU's) before I would be interested in your opinions of the way the sets are presented and packaged.

Newportnobby

Mine has been despatched from Rails at the pre order price so all is well in the world of Nobby :)

Vonzack

Grrr, no news on mine yet from Rails, but I did order with the DCC Decoders and they are still showing as pre-order

gc4946

Quote from: osborns on May 14, 2021, 03:28:20 PM
to those of you who have not had Kato Locos (EMU's) before I would be interested in your opinions of the way the sets are presented and packaged.

I'll comment when I receive my LNER Azuma set.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

dannyboy

Quote from: Vonzack on May 14, 2021, 04:05:25 PM
Grrr, no news on mine yet from Rails,

No news on mine either, although I ordered the Gaugemaster Collection set - my account is showing 'Pending' although the price is shown as without UK Vat - so I don't mind waiting a bit.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Jack

Having seen all the pics, I'm eagerly waiting an invoice from TrainTrax for my pre-ordered IET800. I'm just hoping the delay is because I've ordered the dcc chip set to go with it and they may not have arrived yet.

Patience are a virtue I'm told....   :D
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

njee20

Quote from: dannyboy on May 14, 2021, 05:50:24 PM
Quote from: Vonzack on May 14, 2021, 04:05:25 PM
Grrr, no news on mine yet from Rails,

No news on mine either, although I ordered the Gaugemaster Collection set - my account is showing 'Pending' although the price is shown as without UK Vat - so I don't mind waiting a bit.  ;)

They're still a few weeks away I believe. I assume because they've got to be put into a different box.

dannyboy

I don't mind a belated birthday present.  ;). I'll be happy to look at other members pictures - and watch the videos, (where's the hint smiley?).
David.

Nbodger

dannyboy

David.

geoffc

Mine arrived this morning from Hattons, nicely packaged in a slip case box and the models in a semi hard foam insert. Nothing damaged and nothing had fell off unlike some items I have received from else where.
Coupling up is a bit fiddley as the couplings dont stand out too much from the corridor connections.
Once coupled up given a test run, runs smoothly and quietly from an impressive slow crawl to as fast as I dared go, no flickering of the head and tail lights at any speed.

Kato have set the bench mark for N gauge with this model not only with fidelity but with cost as well. The question is now what will the next UK outline model be that will appeal to Worldwide collectors as well to keep the cost down through sheer volumes produced.

Now for the minus points, mostly trivial, except the lights:
The finger recesses in the packaging are to small to get my fingers in and I dont have big hands so it makes extracting the models awkward.
At slow speed it derails going over a Peco Code 55 double slip, in fairness it is not alone in this problem.
There are no lights in the coaches, a kit needs to be bought separately, the cheapest is from Plaza Japan £20.11 plus postage.

Geoff

Trainfish

Seems ok passing over Ummagumma junction both straight through and also changing tracks to include 2x double slips and 1 long point. There is a slight change in speed as it changes over to a second controller which wasn't set at quite the right speed but that was my fault.

And coming back the other way, I managed to match up the 2 controllers this time  :thumbsup:

I agree regarding the finger holes for removing but that's not a big issue to me as it probably won't see the box again until I depart this planet and the wife sells it on  :doh:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations