!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Nbodgers Workbench  (Read 1004 times)

Online Nbodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
Nbodgers Workbench
« on: May 01, 2020, 08:25:42 PM »

Earlier this year I purchased a number (9 in total) of LNER / BR 8 Plank Mineral Waggons from the society shop, today I finally finished them, another job complete and now in service on my layout Hillsden, these took a number of evenings tp paint and weather. Wow only got 9 other kits to build and about 30 waggons to finish, now started painting 6 Southern Vans, that I constructed some years ago.

This modeling lark is never ending

Mike H 8)

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
Re: Nbodgers Workbench
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 08:33:42 PM »
 :wonderfulmodelling:

Nice looking wagons!

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 08:46:25 PM »
Cheers Chris

:thankyousign:

Mike H 8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 07:54:23 PM »
Today at long last I completed the Society Shark Kit, not sure how long I have had this kit but must have been about the time it was released by the society

now only need to paint and weather the outside, the inside already done prior to roof being glued in place. Just need to source some appropriate decals and then all done another waggon will be in service on Hillsden.

Slowly working through all those kits I have bought over the years, some totally unbuilt, some part built an others to paint

Keep well and stay safe

Mike H 8)

Offline EFR

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 10:20:39 PM »
Keep up the good work. I've been working through scenic kits bought 20+ years ago for my Covid-19 desktop layout. You're a better painter though

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 10:36:10 PM »
Keep up the good work. I've been working through scenic kits bought 20+ years ago for my Covid-19 desktop layout. You're a better painter though

I believe there are more unbuilt kits lurking in cupboards and under layouts than ones that have been finished.

I find painting can not be rushed, it takes me longer to paint a kit than usually takes to build it. Take your time, read or ask how other people work, adopt a way that suits you, use the right sized brush, good lighting and a steady hand for the fine detail work.

Keep practicing, I have a bad habit of building kits, using them on the layout and only painting years later.

Good luck with you kits
Remember We are all here to help others learn, you only have to ask “How do you do that”

Keep Safe and Well

Mike H  8)

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 11:09:21 PM »
"I believe there are more unbuilt kits lurking in cupboards and under layouts than ones that have been finished."
You are right there, I have some kits bought years ago not built yet.
Nice looking wagons by the way, the weathering is just about right.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 03:22:01 PM »
Bus Shelters for Hillsden

I am having a break from building and painting waggons, so today I have started building three bus shelters for my layout Hillsden, these shelters final home will be on an inclined road  to the station.

A few days ago I constructed a couple of prototypes detailed under my Hillsden Layout posts, the final prototype is far right in the picture below, which looks in a sorry state, but I had glued it the wrong way round for the slope and had to pull to bits to rectify

The shelters are of a pre-cast concrete design type, although end return walls have been added for stability, the photo shows all of the sides cut out and windows have been added to one set of sides. The structures are being built utilising plastkard and microstrip and when complete will be painted and weathered

I will post further update when the project is completed

Stay Safe and Well

Mike H  8)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 05:37:56 PM »
Great work on those wagons Mike, I must share your tendancy to buy lots of wagons and then not get around to building them or if built, not painting them!

I have one of the shark ballast guards vans, you've made a good job of the ballast scraper etchings, think it is that bit that is putting me off the build, still get a nervous twitch when it comes to brass kits.....
Thanks for looking - Andrew

My attempt at a box layout - Bogindollo

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50114.msg652980#new

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 05:49:26 PM »
Today at long last I completed the Society Shark Kit, not sure how long I have had this kit but must have been about the time it was released by the society

now only need to paint and weather the outside, the inside already done prior to roof being glued in place. Just need to source some appropriate decals and then all done another waggon will be in service on Hillsden.

Slowly working through all those kits I have bought over the years, some totally unbuilt, some part built an others to paint

Keep well and stay safe

Mike H 8)

Nice job on the Shark.

I have not long finished one myself, the only decals I found were from Fox. They do a generic engineers sheet, which includes “Shark” lettering.

Skyline2uk

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 05:51:23 PM »
Impressive all round mike.

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 06:23:17 PM »

Nice job on the Shark.

I have not long finished one myself, the only decals I found were from Fox. They do a generic engineers sheet, which includes “Shark” lettering.

Skyline2uk

:thankyousign:

Thank you for the kind comment and decal information, I will add them to my ever expanding purchase list.

Stay Safe and well

Mike H  8)

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 08:33:20 PM »
Following on from Reply #7, I have now completed the building of the three bus shelters to be positioned on Station Road on my Hillsden layout.

If they don't look level on the incline it is because they haven't been fettled to fit in their final location.

They are now off to the paint shop for painting and finally weathered, before final erection on the layout.

I will have to buy a couple of buses now.

Soon be time to get back on building and painting waggon kits

Stay safe and well

Mike H  8)

Offline 37214

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 04:46:58 PM »

Keep well and stay safe

Mike H 8)

I think that I have one of these in amongst about 30 other kits from the NGS shop, Ian Stoate models and a few others that have been in storage for around 20 years or so.

I’ve had some paints delivered and got paintbrushes, thinners, matt varnish spray etc. on order. Have to re-learn how to paint models and then look at weathering techniques.

Online Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 09:00:49 PM »
Finally bus shelters back from the paint shop and installed on my layout Hillsden, just need some buses now!

Stay safe and well

Mike H  8)

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal