!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: SHAPEWAYS PRICE HIKE ON THE 30TH  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Doc Pye

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: SHAPEWAYS PRICE HIKE ON THE 30TH
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2019, 06:35:04 PM »
Prices will go up...that's for sure. Getting to the point of getting my own 3D printer...

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2019, 06:48:16 PM »
I have two, a big scale extruder that is no use for modelling in N except for rough structures for buildings etc. and an MSLA which is perfect for small items with a great level of detail but only a 25mm by 50mm max build plate.

My next printer will be an MSLA with a print area of roughly A5 which will allow a Mk3 coach or a class 66 to be printed.  These printers will begin to become available later this year.  Its going to be worth the wait.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2019, 12:20:11 PM »
 :hmmm: I'm not sure that the affect of the price hike warrantied the frenzied buying that it prompted - for me anyway. My order of Jan 29 came to a total of €156.72 (inc. VAT and P&P). Today that same order comes to a total of €179.93 (inc. VAT and P&P).

I'm not saying £20 is nothing, but I'd be getting a lot less grief from MBH if I'd spread that order out over the coming months and the £20 hike wouldn't have registered as much that way. :'(
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2019, 11:32:02 AM »
It has all gone very quiet on the repricing of FUD.  Historic models are still priced at the old price and the new ones at the new price.

I wonder if the howls of anguish from the user community has had an effect and they have backed off.  I guess they can leave the situation as it stands which helps old designs as long as you don't "revise" your design.

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2019, 11:34:40 AM »
I think it is more a case that they haven't gotten around to do the old ones yet...it will come...greed always leads!

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
From my point of view, it is not just the price rise for the material, there is also the three tier delivery charge system.

Pay through the nose to get it extra quick.
Pay and arm and a leg to get it fairly quick.
Or pay like we used to pay and take pot luck.

The funny thing being, that most of my recent orders have arrived very quickly indeed and I refuse to pay the extra. If I have to wait, I have to wait.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2019, 12:40:21 PM »
Folks - I have decided to sell my Shapeways Ferry Vans and Wagon kits on EBay as they are stunning kits and to 1:148 but I have way too much in my gloat box to ever get around to these.
They are to British N scale 1:148 rather than 1:160 so that's even better news.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254138221968?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

If you are interested, they are there for all to see. With a decent cost saving on new :)

Offline m0rris

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2019, 01:34:18 PM »
It has all gone very quiet on the repricing of FUD.  Historic models are still priced at the old price and the new ones at the new price.

I wonder if the howls of anguish from the user community has had an effect and they have backed off.  I guess they can leave the situation as it stands which helps old designs as long as you don't "revise" your design.

I suspect they've totally knackered their algorithms and don't know how to put it all back on a sensible footing. Some of the issues that they raised that they had missed seemed to be really basic like not recognising both height and length effectively. Avim has hinted at some of the wider issues, individuals leaving during the middle of the switchover, even Avim came in to deliver this after the process had started...

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2019, 06:45:21 PM »
It seems all this uncertainty about pricing is causing a lull in orders. An item I wanted hadn't increased so I ordered it on Thursday with the cheapo delivery option with expected shipping date the 18 March. It was dispatched today :)

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »
The way I see things they run the danger of out pricing themselves, after all lets be honest the prints available are really 'scratch aids'.

What is really deceiving are their 'Digital Preview' pictures which are not actual photo's but display perfectly smooth prints, in fact in the flesh they are not, and even printed in the best resolution available they resemble a master that was originally built in concrete and scaled down!

But really does annoy me is that they now possess a large catalogue for the customer, which has been compiled from those who have given up their valuable time and I suspect the odd late night to design and upload their files,  only to receive a pittance in royalties every time Shapeways sell a print using one of their files!

If what I have posted is not fact then please correct me as I have been otherwise misinformed!

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2019, 08:11:17 PM »
The way I see things they run the danger of out pricing themselves, after all lets be honest the prints available are really 'scratch aids'.

What is really deceiving are their 'Digital Preview' pictures which are not actual photo's but display perfectly smooth prints, in fact in the flesh they are not, and even printed in the best resolution available they resemble a master that was originally built in concrete and scaled down!

But really does annoy me is that they now possess a large catalogue for the customer, which has been compiled from those who have given up their valuable time and I suspect the odd late night to design and upload their files,  only to receive a pittance in royalties every time Shapeways sell a print using one of their files!

If what I have posted is not fact then please correct me as I have been otherwise misinformed!

And if a competent rival came into existence these designs can all be migrated to a new provider overnight.  Fortunately they don't try to own the designs (yet).

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2019, 09:15:45 PM »
And if a competent rival came into existence these designs can all be migrated to a new provider overnight.  Fortunately they don't try to own the designs (yet).

I don't think they would be able to own the files without permission would they?

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2019, 09:18:32 PM »

I don't think they would be able to own the files without permission would they?

Not as it stands but they could try and slip a change of commercial conditions in without it being realised.

Offline Mr Sprue

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2019, 09:27:35 PM »

Not as it stands but they could try and slip a change of commercial conditions in without it being realised.

But then surely they would have to notify people! However copyright laws in the world of models are frail as the only master is the real one!

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2019, 09:39:12 PM »

But then surely they would have to notify people! However copyright laws in the world of models are frail as the only master is the real one!

They would do it like this, amongst lots of copperplate verbose to hide it.

"If you don't want us to have sole rights to manufacture this item then please remove it from our site in the next seven days."

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
April Donations

Advertise Here