!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sometimes I wish I modelled in 00  (Read 858 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Sometimes I wish I modelled in 00
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 03:30:58 PM »
Yes indeed. I love your tabletop layout!  :thumbsup:

:thankyousign:
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 03:45:58 PM »
Must confess I've pre-ordered an Accurascale Deltic in OO.

Given that the scaled-down Bachmann OO effort is still a relatively recent release in N, my thinking was that the chances of a better shaped N model of this iconic beast before I pop my cloggs are pretty slim!

Now you mention it, I have a TT-scale Deltic  :D

Lima Class 55 (Deltic) D9003 "Meld" by Rail Squid, on Flickr
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline chrismann

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 10:23:45 AM »
Yes as someone just getting back into railway modelling I made the decision to go for N gauge based on limited space available, but there is undoubtedly a much wider range of RTR stuff available in OO/HO...

My interest is the LMS and I was slightly surprised to find that the choice of RTR locos in LMS livery is limited compared to what's available in OO - even the LMS locos that are available in N tend to be in BR early/late livery not LMS.

I presume it reflects what people generally model, and the fact that OO is clearly a much more popular scale, and has the "toy" market to back it up.

BTW I am not from the LMS era myself although I can just remember the last few years of BR steam when I was very small!!  :D

Offline barnyswain

• N Gauge Society Number: 16326
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 10:35:41 AM »
more tempted by 0 than 00  :laugh3:

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 07:39:54 PM »
My interest is the LMS and I was slightly surprised to find that the choice of RTR locos in LMS livery is limited compared to what's available in OO - even the LMS locos that are available in N tend to be in BR early/late livery not LMS.
:hmmm:
The LMS is in fact the best served of the 'big 4' by the big two RTR manufacturers; and for every loco produced for which LMS livery is appropriate, LMS livery was one of the first batch of releases! Admittedly not all liveries are constantly readily available, from the big name retailers, but they certainly have been produced and can usually be found with a bit of searching...

Offline chrismann

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 07:48:47 PM »
:hmmm:
The LMS is in fact the best served of the 'big 4' by the big two RTR manufacturers; and for every loco produced for which LMS livery is appropriate, LMS livery was one of the first batch of releases! Admittedly not all liveries are constantly readily available, from the big name retailers, but they certainly have been produced and can usually be found with a bit of searching...

You may be right about what's been produced in recent years but is now discontinued, I don't know, but right now Graham Farish only offer the Jinty tank and the Fairburn tank in LMS livery (and the not yet released 8F). Dapol have zero LMS locos listed on their website at present (not even in BR livery). Whereas Dapol offer five GWR locos, three Southern and three LNER.

I guess they are simply offering what people currently want to buy. :)

On the plus side I did manage to find a Farish "Black 5" in LMS black at Peter's Spares... maybe I need to hang out on eBay a bit more!

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:50:55 PM by chrismann »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 09:20:12 PM »
@chrismann
Check out Union Mills (no website) who currently have in stock

0-6-0 tender loco 'Cauliflower' in LMS black
0-8-0 tender loco G2 'Super D' in LMS black
4-4-0 2P class in LMS black

Offline chrismann

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 09:28:23 PM »
@chrismann
Check out Union Mills (no website) who currently have in stock

0-6-0 tender loco 'Cauliflower' in LMS black
0-8-0 tender loco G2 'Super D' in LMS black
4-4-0 2P class in LMS black

Thank you - I didn't know about Union Mills, I will investigate...

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 09:52:50 PM »
In the garden shed that I have recently had built specifically for railway modelling, I am planning to have two layouts, separated vertically: at the upper level, an OO gauge layout set in the 1930s and at the lower level an N gauge layout set in the 1980s.

Had there been sufficient ready to run rolling stock available for the 1930s in N gauge, I should have had both in N gauge, as, for any given space, one can fit so much more layout into N gauge. Even with an aircraft hanger, one can still fit twice as much in with N gauge.

N gauge has decent availability for what I am planning on modelling (western region BR in the late 1980s), but availability is poor for anything pre-war and inconsistent for other time periods and regions.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 09:57:59 PM »
Yes as someone just getting back into railway modelling I made the decision to go for N gauge based on limited space available, but there is undoubtedly a much wider range of RTR stuff available in OO/HO...

I presume it reflects what people generally model, and the fact that OO is clearly a much more popular scale, and has the "toy" market to back it up.

BTW I am not from the LMS era myself although I can just remember the last few years of BR steam when I was very small!!  :D

Don't give up on modelling the LMS, if I can do it anyone can, with a little patience you can build up quite a locomotive collection. At the last count I have managed over 20 different classes

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £305.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
102% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything