!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 171497 times)

Train Waiting and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #2160 on: December 16, 2019, 08:51:20 PM »
I've no idea how you did that, David, but it is very clever.  What a lovely Christmas present!  It certainly takes me back...

Thank you very much indeed.

Best wishes to you and yours for a very Merry Christmas.

John and Poppy

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2161 on: December 17, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »
It's amazing what you can find in your parent's loft  :D

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2162 on: December 17, 2019, 03:34:14 PM »
Absolutely fabulous!

Thank you very much indeed.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2163 on: December 18, 2019, 08:09:43 PM »
Background to the Railway

Hello Chums

What follows is mainly to help prevent me from confusing myself in future posts!  It will be added to and changed over time, of course.

‘Bridge line’ railroads were a common phenomenon in the USA.  Their purpose was to provide a link between two, normally larger, railroads to enable traffic to be worked from one to the other.  Typically, bridge lines had modest on-line originating and terminating traffic; their main purpose was to facilitate through traffic.

In Great Britain, this type of railway was fairly rare.  There were railways serving a particular local area such as the Furness, Great North of Scotland, Hull & Barnsley and North Stafford.  Whilst these railways connected with more than one other company, their function was more than simply as a bridge line.  I think the best examples of bridge lines here are the Cockermouth, Keswick & Penrith and the Midland & South Western Junction.  Maybe, one could add the Maryport & Carlisle.

I have made up another one.  It connects the two railways whose metals end at Tableford and Toppington respectively.  It is up to Tableford and down to Toppington.  The official name of the railway is the Tableford & Toppington Railway (TTR), but, obviously, it is pretty much universally called the Table-Top Railway.  A bit like the Bed-Pan line.  And I didn’t make that one up!

The principal stations solely on the Table-Top Railway are (travelling in the down direction) Korkington, Bobbington and Poppingham.  There is a branch line from Bobbington to Pandaford.  All are named after cats!  The locomotive shed and headquarters of the line is at Bobbington.  I’m not sure how many route miles the Table-Top Railway operates.  Let’s say more than 20 and fewer than 50.

Like some of the joint lines, the railways that became part of London Transport and certain minor railways, the Table-Top Railway was not included in the Railways Act 1921.  All my diligent research has failed to find out why, so I suspect a Gala Luncheon or two were involved.  Our railway remained an independent concern to the end of our period – Hogmanay, 1938. 

There is a lot of through running, using the locomotives and stock of the other companies.  Indeed, their locomotives often go on shed at Bobbington.  Various bright sparks have suggested their crews working through, but this has never been successful, so the trains are manned by Table-Top Railway crews.  This, coupled with the fluid geography of our railway, is especially convenient as locomotives and stock from all of the Big Four and the S&DJR can be seen.  Maybe, one day, we’ll also have our own locomotives and stock.  This was quite the thing on layouts pre-War but has fallen out of favour in Great Britain for the standard gauge.  Thankfully, narrow gauge modellers continue the tradition.  It can also be seen in the USA.

Railway Characters

‘Old’ Bill Dean, Driver – the senior driver on the line
Geoff Duke, Driver
Dick Trevithick, Driver
David Ian Esel, Diesel Railcar Driver
Neville Hill, Passed Fireman
Freddie Frith, Fireman
George ‘Coldstream’ Monck, Guard
George ‘Geordie’ Stephenson, Chargehand Fitter, Bobbington shed
William Hedley, Shed Foreman, Bobbington shed
James Japp, Inspector
John Saxby, Signalman, Poppingham Sidings signalbox
John Farmer, Signalman, Poppingham Station signalbox
Mr Porter, Porter, Poppingham
Bert, Mechanical Horse Driver
Ben Trail, Chief Ganger
'Old' Charlie Wilson, Driver for a main-line company at Tableford.

Non-Railway Characters

The Earl of Poppingham, commonly known as Lord Poppingham, peer and director of the Table-Top Railway.  On cordial terms with many directors of the 'Big Four' companies.  Resides with his family at Poppingham Hall.

His wife, The Countess of Poppingham, commonly known as Lady Poppingham.  A keen gardener.

Their eldest son, Baron Pandaford, known to his friends as Bertie Poppingham.  In his mid to late-twenties. 

Their daughter, Lady Jane Poppingham, known to the family and close friends as Janey Poppingham.  In her mid-twenties.

Their younger son, The Honorable Bonzo Poppingham.  About 20 years old and up at university.

Mr Butler, butler at Poppingham Hall

Mrs Cook, cook at Poppingham Hall

Edward Hill and his wife Mary Hill, landlord and landlady of 'The Crown', an old inn in Poppingham.

Mrs Thorpe, landlady of 'The Railway Inn' (often called Mable's - please see here for an explanation of this nonsense: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg606572#msg606572  )

Police Constable Bob Peel, the local policeman.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

John
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 01:50:00 PM by Train Waiting »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #2164 on: December 18, 2019, 08:17:02 PM »
Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the insight into 'bridge lines'. Didn't know about them before - but I do now! :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2165 on: December 18, 2019, 08:17:44 PM »
Many thanks for that enlightening précis of the history of your delightful railway John.
Best Regards

Martin
I’ll get round to fixing it drekkly me ‘ansome.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #2166 on: December 18, 2019, 08:34:52 PM »
I've been following this thread from afar but enjoying it so much. I think you've cracked the fun  and improbability to make a super interesting layout. News from the "Poppingham Point and Post" is always eagerly awaited.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2167 on: December 18, 2019, 09:27:26 PM »
 :hellosign:
  All sounds totally spiffing to me John, just got to ask is Neville Hill the depot just East of Leeds ?
     regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #2168 on: December 18, 2019, 09:47:16 PM »
Hi John,

Hope you don't mind but took the liberty of adding your layout with it's characters to the 'Alternative West Country and Friends' thread. Probably needs an edit but please let me know if you don't want it on there. It's a great reference point to remember characters ie. being at the beginning as I find people forget, including myself, where info was posted and when.

Let me know if that's a problem and like others, love your layout.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 09:48:19 PM by weave »

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2169 on: December 18, 2019, 09:52:29 PM »
:hellosign:
  All sounds totally spiffing to me John, just got to ask is Neville Hill the depot just East of Leeds ?
     regards Derek.

Thank you, Derek.  Yes indeed; on the old North Eastern line.  I couldn't resist this one!  Our Neville is originally a West Riding lad and came here as a young engine cleaner.  He is proving to be a very fine engineman. 

I have another awful play on a station name for a character who is just being introduced but, this time, it's a Scottish station.  And, as for Mable Thorpe, great fun, but I had to invent an improbable story to (hopefully) explain away the incorrect spelling!

Thank you so much for your continuing support and encouragement.

Best wishes.

John

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2170 on: December 18, 2019, 10:01:23 PM »
Hi John,

Hope you don't mind but took the liberty of adding your layout with it's characters to the 'Alternative West Country and Friends' thread. Probably needs an edit but please let me know if you don't want it on there. It's a great reference point to remember characters ie. being at the beginning as I find people forget, including myself, where info was posted and when.

Let me know if that's a problem and like others, love your layout.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Many thanks, Chris.

Certainly no problem - it's a great compliment!

And, of course, the Table-Top Railway can be in the Alternative West Country when it is connecting GWR and Southern (or Southern and S&DJR) lines.

Thank you very much and all best wishes.

John

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #2171 on: December 19, 2019, 07:44:37 AM »
Great update John & love the TTR history you have described :)   :thumbsup:
Thanks for looking - Andrew

My attempt at a box layout - Bogindollo

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50114.msg652980#new

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2172 on: December 20, 2019, 09:52:44 AM »
Christmas Traffic

Hello Chums

Yesterday, I had the last day of the year at the service of one of my non-employers.  Hopefully, there will be a couple of weeks with lots 'n' lots of lovely traintime.  I have decided that many of the little people on and around the Table-Top Railway (TTR) are also starting to go on holiday (although, of course, this would not be common for most folk in the 'thirties) and the traffic is building up nicely.

This photograph, taken by me this morning, shows the value of the TTR as a connecting route which allows the LMS and LNER to exchange traffic.  'Super Claud' 4-4-0 No. 8828 waits at Poppingham with an up passenger whilst, on the down line, '2P' 4-4-0 No. runs through Gateshead Cutting as Geoff Duke slows her for the station stop.  Just after I took the photograph, Dick Trevithick, on No. 8828, called me over and invited me up onto the footplate for a run to Tableford.  And, yes, I bought a ticket for the journey when I arrived back at Poppingham!  I'll get Dick and young Freddie Frith a few pints of fine, foaming ale at 'Mable's'  at the earliest opportunity.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:06:49 PM by Train Waiting »

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2173 on: December 20, 2019, 09:55:33 AM »
I can see Flossie, but where's Rudolph?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2174 on: December 20, 2019, 12:43:32 PM »
A splediferous photograph John.
The green and red locomotives complement each other so nicely.
Is Santa expecting rain hiding under the tree there ?
Or is he waiting for the trains to pass before popping behind the tree ? :-[
And what is that atop the car? Is it a brake van body?

Best Regards

Martin
I’ll get round to fixing it drekkly me ‘ansome.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal