!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lima Gulf tank wagon  (Read 206 times)

Offline JeremyS

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Lima Gulf tank wagon
« on: January 29, 2019, 10:01:43 PM »
I have some Lima Gulf tank wagons bought in the early '80s. From the lettering they represent an Italian prototype. I'm wondering if they resemble anything that ran on BR within a few years of 1960 - with a repaint if necessary - or if they will look too continental?

Thoughts?

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: Lima Gulf tank wagon
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 10:16:13 PM »
They have a passing appearance to chemical tankers, which commonly have a smaller barrel than oil tank wagons, and teh data plate has a passing resemblance to the data plates on Ferry Tank wagons, but even when I had some of these in the 1970s I knew they were not realistic. 50 years on they have no value other than the sentimental love of overscale Lima wagons that some of us still have.
Treat yourself to a new wagon or two.

Bob

Offline JeremyS

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 11:29:04 PM »
Thanks, I suspected as much. A new wagon or two is in principle postponed until I have something to run it on, although in practice you can still find me looking through the second-hand stalls at model railway exhibitions to give something irresistible the chance to find me :-)

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 11:47:28 PM »
50 years on they have no value other than the sentimental love of overscale Lima wagons that some of us still have.

I acquired the N gauge versions of a few OO wagons which were part of my first trainset for precisely those reasons.

And anyway, everybody should keep a bit of Lima around for those frustrating times when you realise Farish or Dapol have painted the underarm crossfit drawbar regulator grille the wrong shade of mauve for a wet Saturday in 1967, and need some perspective on how bad it could be ;)
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 06:49:12 AM »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Good one, Squiddy!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.