!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Adding photographs to a post  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Adding photographs to a post
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2019, 10:22:38 PM »
I personally don't find uploading photos to be too much of a problem. What I don't understand is why the thumbnails of my photos that are more than 6 months old no longer bring up the full-size image. ???

It is a bit weird but copying/pasting the BB code still brings the pic up in the post you're putting it into. Strange. A job for Muldur & Scully, maybe.

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2019, 10:25:39 PM »
It is a bit weird but copying/pasting the BB code still brings the pic up in the post you're putting it into. Strange. A job for Muldur & Scully, maybe.

Careful Mick, someone on this thread might say that your comment is unhelpful.

Online Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2019, 11:01:06 PM »
I just uploaded a photo first time on my iPhone to the forum.  No issue at all.

How large is the photo, as there is a limit?

he's using an (Android) Samsung phone - do they not save as JPG?

i'm an apple only shop and can upload from Iphone/ipad/Big Mac with no problems

there is a 2Mb limit on file sizes

To allay confusion... ohhhh there seems to be a lot of it...

We fixed the 2mb file size bug a few weeks back so it could fully allow people to upload from the latest iphones etc if your photo is under 8mb now..... however (i dont own an android) so was unaware the photos on the newest ones are now around 12mb and not always (depending on your app and ice cream version) in a jpg format... for this i apologise.  Tomorrow from my sun lounger i shall correct this bug too... best to drop me a pm as its always better than a rant then we can fix forward... @Bealman  the old gallery is still there but slowed down the forum and the writer of the smf code for it had trouble moving everything hence why older pics are not available im afraid id love to get that bit fixed but its unlikely.... then lets talk compression..... we compress but only if your original file is of the acceptable size so from some point tomorrow once the sun is high and the gin is over the yard arm we will have a 16mb photo limit

Ttfn.... all donations to itsbloodyhothere@thongsforthememories.com

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:35:07 PM by Newportnobby, Reason: Tag to Bealman corrected as it was incorrect »

Offline swisstrains

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2019, 06:55:31 AM »
I personally don't find uploading photos to be too much of a problem. What I don't understand is why the thumbnails of my photos that are more than 6 months old no longer bring up the full-size image. ???

Yes, thanks Nobby, I had noticed that and also the slideshow feature still brings up full-size older images. ???
John

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2019, 09:05:58 AM »
Re the new limit of file sizes (12mb??) - when do we have to buy more disc storage?? the bigger the images we have to store.....

Why shouldn't we have a limit on file size? the Forum s/w obviously has some limitations, which will be fixed RSN, but we still have to live within them.

I'm sorry that @Lawrence was upset by my post , but we have to work within constraints, and will have to do so for the foreseeable future. I did state what works for me but there are so many devices out there that it is difficult to keep up with today's new improved ( and non-standard ) phones.

We Mods are all volunteers, and Tank's and other's efforts have made us the largest UK online forum ( nearly 7000 members). We provide a 24hr service, supporting members and visitors. and luckily objectionable comments  are rare and we take them in our stride. 

the Forum format is friendly and (fairly) easy to use, and a vast improvement on mail lists / bulletin boards. However It is  not perfect. and we have to work within limitations set by the s/w developers but its what we have and we all have to work with it.

We do need to revise the instructions for posting images, and try and improve the process as much as we can, preferably before the next Millennium!

We will try harder.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:09:16 AM by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »
We Mods are all volunteers, and Tank's and other's efforts have made us the largest UK online forum ( nearly 7000 members). We provide a 24hr service, supporting members and visitors. and luckily objectionable comments  are rare and we take them in our stride. 

Well said nick

to be honest its taken me a while to work out what to, and thank you Tank and the moderators.  we appreciate you

the Forum format is friendly and (fairly) easy to use. should there be simple instructions available for those who are not technology minded  posted every now and then just as an aide memoire ????

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2019, 09:23:25 AM »
@Railwaygun please see my post to @Tank  and I also apologise to you and @Only Me, my rant was about MY inability to post a picture and I'm sorry for the fallout that has followed.

I was missing for 6months with work and had totally forgotten how to post pictures.

Now I know how to do it I don't see any problems with the forum at all, other then the flak you have all recieved in reaction to my post.

I would like to make clear I did not feel I got the "I'm alright Jack" response from anyone. Will upping the size of photos cause any of the dramas that the Gallery caused when the upgrade took place? I'm sure the last thing the forum would want is delays and dramas caused as a result of adding massive pictures.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2019, 06:06:56 PM »
That's me off the Christmas card list then!

PM sent Chris @Tank

Online Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Western Destroyer
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
@Lawrence  i think ive fixed it please can you test un resized pictures thanks

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2019, 06:18:17 PM »
@Lawrence  i think ive fixed it please can you test un resized pictures thanks

I'll let @exmouthcraig have the pleasure of that, I don't have anything interesting to post now anyway!

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2019, 06:24:48 PM »
Noooooo please don't. I'm very sorry for the agro caused by my lack of computer phone based knowledge and all the fallout that followed.

I will try to get pictures of my stripped Inspection Saloon and add to my topic from yesterday and see what happens.

@Only Me I will try to attach pictures in the next half hour and let you know, have another few G&Ts to chill out after the stressful day and I'll see what happens  :beers:

Online Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Western Destroyer
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2019, 06:31:10 PM »
Noooooo please don't. I'm very sorry for the agro caused by my lack of computer phone based knowledge and all the fallout that followed.

I will try to get pictures of my stripped Inspection Saloon and add to my topic from yesterday and see what happens.

@Only Me I will try to attach pictures in the next half hour and let you know, have another few G&Ts to chill out after the stressful day and I'll see what happens  :beers:

The button text above the reply box now seems to work as it should...

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2019, 06:55:53 PM »
Here goes, this was our latest purchase. Why on earth SR modellers have to have this thing  :censored:

Does it work?? This is a 3.79MB picture, taken on my Samsung phone and uploaded straight to the forum with no adoption

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2019, 06:58:26 PM »
@Tank @Only Me @Railwaygun it seems to of worked chaps. Fantastic effort, maybe BA will offer you both some IT contracts  :smiley-laughing:

Thank you for your efforts and making it easy for us  :dunce: to get pictures on the forum  :beers:  :thankyousign: :thankyousign: :thankyousign:

Online Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Western Destroyer
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2019, 07:20:52 PM »
Fixed from a sun lounger in the med.... as for once i had some spare time 🤣☝️😬😚

Ps why do you think Ba isnt working ;)