!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Unhappy Thread  (Read 128283 times)

Offline N-Gauge-US

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Unhappy Thread
« Reply #735 on: March 25, 2017, 12:06:15 AM »
When I was at school many years ago we were taught that swearing showed a lack of vocabulary and intelligence. I still hold with that. There are plenty of ways to express oneself without resorting to expletives, yes I swear but not to replace adjectives or verbs, only to relieve the pain when I hit my thumb with a hammer.

That was and is a common assumption, but socio-linguistic studies have actually shown the opposite. People who swear more tend to have larger lexicons and make verbal associations more quickly and there have been several studies that have correlated intelligence quotients (IQ tests) with the frequency of profanity used. The idea that people who swear can't come up with a 'better word' is a false one. High-frequency swearers are much better at neutral synonym replacement in testing environments, implying that they can come up with more alternatives to swearing and do so more quickly than those who do not swear,  but elect not to because swearing conveys the full semantic intent.

The only study I was aware of was published in the journal Language Science in December 2015. This was widely reported to state that but was reported incorrectly.

What it did was measure Verbal Fluency. The test measured how many swear words a participant could say within a timeframe and then the participants where asked to recall a list of unrelatred words. What the study showed was that people who know more words also know more swear words. This only measures linguistic intelligence and says nothing about a persons intelligence.

But then I'm just a thick blonde as I don't swear

(I don't know whether I would if I hit my thumb with a hammer as I have never been stupid enough to do it)

I take tremendous offense to your insinuation that I was somehow calling you a "thick blonde." To be perfectly honest, you seem bent on battling everyone, as I hardly think mito was saying a hammer must be a foreign object to you because you are a woman, but because you are apparently the only person in the known world to be immune from human error when using a hammer and, somehow, when everyone else does it, it's because they are "stupid" or don't "know fully how to use a hammer properly."

As for the rest of it, linguistic or verbal intelligence is a major component of most IQ tests and most theories of intelligence(s). I'd list other articles, but I feel like you're less interested in learning than in being right, so here you go: you're right; we shouldn't swear on the forum. That's why it's already against the rules. The censor icon isn't swearing. What I think you're asking is that people not use an emoticon that expresses the user's frustration, which is an unreasonable request.
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #736 on: March 25, 2017, 04:31:48 AM »

PS - the word I have self-censored in this post is 'very'. I used the censored emoticon purely to convey just how 'very', without having to type ' very, very, very, very ' three times.

But you've typed 'very' 6 times in that post :confused1: :dunce:

Steamie+

« Reply #737 on: March 25, 2017, 06:25:22 AM »
Thanks Daffy, Daveg and N-Gauge-US, for your kind thoughts and has for you escafeld, you really donít know anything about me and what i have been going through, all i what is to have closer on my time with the company, and itís not really all about the money, we are all not money grabbing and no i wonít swear because this is a family forum, it seems to me like a certain other individual on this forum you just what to have an argument, i will not take you up on it, just enjoy your modelling please has all of us do with what ever we do, whether it is running trains, scratch building, making Dioramas or just drooling at what others have.

This is an unhappy Thread and not an angry Thread.    Happy Modelling.       :thumbsup:

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #738 on: March 25, 2017, 09:42:43 AM »
OK people I think this is getting too personal now, no reason to go making assumptions and throwing insults at each other when, as many of you have said, we know very little about each other apart from what we read on this forum.

Back to being mildly 'Unhappy' please.

:thankyousign:

Paul

Offline broadsword

• Awards
« Reply #739 on: March 25, 2017, 09:51:32 AM »
How about a " foaming at the mouth thread" then people could
swap insults without offending the rest of the forum.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #740 on: March 25, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »
I suggested a similar 'Rant' thread.
Whether you call it 'Foaming at the mouth' or 'Rant' thread you could post your frustrations into this thread, or have them moved to the thread by the mods.
People who don't want to read them could Filter them out in their profile.
Happy days -  :) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #741 on: March 25, 2017, 10:03:42 AM »

PS - the word I have self-censored in this post is 'very'. I used the censored emoticon purely to convey just how 'very', without having to type ' very, very, very, very ' three times.

But you've typed 'very' 6 times in that post :confused1: :dunce:

Darn it! >:( Hoist by my own petard and exposed by a night owl! :(

:D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #742 on: March 25, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »

But I was happy before you posted that and now you want me to be unhappy  :(
OMG my brain hurts!!! Time for another cuppa.
 ??? :confused2: :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Sprintex

• Awards
« Reply #743 on: March 25, 2017, 10:18:30 AM »
Whether you call it 'Foaming at the mouth' or 'Rant' thread you could post your frustrations into this thread, or have them moved to the thread by the mods.

So what do you think the Angry Thread is for then if it's not having a rant?? ::)

As for swapping insults, if you find that sort of thing amusing then kindly find another forum to do so.

But I was happy before you posted that and now you want me to be unhappy  :(

Of course I don't want you to be unhappy, I just don't want to be wasting finger-energy moving posts from here to the Happy Thread :D

Paul

Offline austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #744 on: March 25, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »

So what do you think the Angry Thread is for then if it's not having a rant?? ::)

As for swapping insults, if you find that sort of thing amusing then kindly find another forum to do so.

Ouch!!!  :o

Bob Austin

Steamie+

« Reply #745 on: March 25, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »
All I said that I was unhappy about the way work are dealing with me. I don,t want to tell everyone what caused it in every detail, but I never said anybody on this forum are money grabbing and I don,t think I implied it either. Has for  being in a clique that is one of the reasons I don,t go on the site that is full of cliques.

Think it's about time I stopped posting on here and just read some of the posts that interest me.

I will continue to support the forum in any way I can, I am hoping to do that at the little meet NPN and I are trying to set up.

Happy Modelling all.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 10:38:52 AM by Steamie+ »

Offline Nick

• N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
« Reply #746 on: March 25, 2017, 10:37:40 AM »
Great Scott! (I think that's safe, but perhaps not.) What a needless fuss.

As the person who inadvertently triggered this maelstrom, I'd just like to point out that the word that the :censored: emoji/smiley was standing in for in my post was very considerably milder than the word that @escafeld assumed I was hiding. I could probably have typed it. We don't all think the same way.

Which only goes to show how much trouble can be caused by making assumptions.

If I can, I am now going to unsubscribe from the Discussion threads and stick to the modelling topics. They are what I'm here for.
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Steamie+

« Reply #747 on: March 25, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »
Agree with the above post by Nick. :thumbsup:

Offline broadsword

• Awards
« Reply #748 on: March 25, 2017, 10:41:33 AM »
The voice of reason !  If there are arguments on the forum they should be
about really important matters, like is real ale over-rated ?

Offline Sprintex

• Awards
« Reply #749 on: March 25, 2017, 10:47:53 AM »
I've already asked politely for the matter to be dropped, and now come the "But sir . . . " excuses and the "I agree with so-and-so" posts.

Maybe if people thought a bit more BEFORE they posted certain things about how they might come across we wouldn't need to be having this discussion?

END OF DEBATE

Paul

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal