!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Unhappy Thread  (Read 137703 times)

Offline GroupC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Unhappy Thread
« Reply #1755 on: February 20, 2020, 04:22:16 PM »
Quite a few pages ago I posted that my friend had found out he has a brain tumour.

Since then it was diagnosed as the least bad sort, still needing surgery to remove however. He's now had another MRI and they told him it wasn't what they first thought. He's going in tomorrow for a 6-hour op to have it removed. All of this is awful enough but he apart from the initial "access" phase into his head, shall we say, he has to be awake for he whole operation.

Sort of puts stuff into perspective really and I cannot begin to imagine how his wife and family will be feeling tomorrow.

If anyone has 5 minutes spare tomorrow from about noon could they please send positive vibes towards Leeds General Infirmary. I would appreciate it greatly.

To refer to the above quote from me...

I went to see my friend today. His tumour which started as Grade 1, the least bad one, turned rapidly into a Grade 4, the absolute worst, hence the surgery I mentioned.

He got back home on New Year's Eve and starts chemo and radiotherapy this Thursday, for 6 weeks, to target the remaining parts of the tumour they were unable to remove during surgery. He told me the whole story of his last few weeks (incl Christmas in LGI) today and you really would not want to have been him!

Incredibly he looks really fit and well and you'd never guess what he's undergone, or what he still has to undergo, or that he even has anything at all wrong with him, from his outward persona, which is great, but of course he still has the cancer.

I'd like to say thanks, if I didn't before, to those who replied, read or even scanned over my initial post. We still need your help! From what he's said the NHS has been amazing (an overused word in society today, but here it is spot on) so huge thanks too, to all at LGI and the various labs which have dealt with him.

So... Keep fighting Peter!

After almost a year of comparative wellness my friend Peter now has a second brain tumour. Chemo won't work apparently and he has refused surgery after the many traumas of the first operation.

Very sadly this means he will almost certainly be leaving us and I can't really bring myself to write much more.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1756 on: February 20, 2020, 04:47:44 PM »
That is hugely sad but I can understand his decision.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1757 on: February 20, 2020, 06:10:02 PM »
That is so sad. I feel for him as my 'baby' sister eventually decided that she would have no more medical intervention. Life can be cruel.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #1758 on: February 20, 2020, 08:04:03 PM »
I also understand Peter's decision as my father had to make very similar decisions. It's not easy for those around him either but they do of course have to respect his decision.
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1759 on: February 28, 2020, 06:55:20 PM »
I am unhappy! I have got to the point where I am putting the roof on the station for 'Averingcliffe'. The roof was cut for the two storey section, (three gable 'bits'), and covered in my printed self-adhesive label and I was quite happy with the result. I then realised that I did not have enough printed label remaining to do the long single story bit. No problem thinks I, I will just print another label. Yeh, right. Got it printed and thought that it did not look right so checked it against the roof already done - yup, it is a slightly different shade. So I printed another - same as the first print. I have even got Louisa to check, (in case my eyes are worse than I thought), and yes, she agrees it is a bit different. Since I did the original printing, I have changed the colour cartridge in my printer, but I would have thought the output would be the same from one cartridge to another. So now I have a choice - either cover the single storey bit in the 'wrong' shade and hope nobody notices, (but I will), or re-cover the first bit of roof in the 'wrong' shade as well, so that they match. Problem is, the first bit of roof is stuck down now. Aaagh!  :'(.

Moral of the story - make sure you have enough materials to hand to complete the job in one go!  :doh: :smackedface:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:56:37 PM by dannyboy »
David.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1760 on: February 28, 2020, 06:59:30 PM »
David

I can’t remember what the roof looks like but could you add a light wash of paint or powder to disguise the differing colours?
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1761 on: February 28, 2020, 07:02:14 PM »
That is an angle I am thinking about - maybe use a bit of chalk  :hmmm:. I will sleep on it Martin.
David.

Offline steve836

• N Gauge Society Number: 22948
    • Awards
« Reply #1762 on: February 28, 2020, 07:36:46 PM »
Rooves are not always the same. 12 in  to the ft scale builders often have the same problem, how about doing the nextbit in the new shade and adding one or two slates on the bit already done in the new shade.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1763 on: February 28, 2020, 07:42:43 PM »
An interesting thought - 'mix and match'.  :hmmm: :)
David.

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #1764 on: February 28, 2020, 07:53:17 PM »
I’ve had similar (non rail modelling) issues with colour matching after cartridge changes, so my sympathies are with you David.

If you are going to sleep on it, I suppose it could be said that you will be having a night on the tiles. ;)

:D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1765 on: February 28, 2020, 08:14:06 PM »
  :laughabovepost: Brilliant Mike.  :beers:
David.

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #1766 on: February 28, 2020, 10:05:37 PM »
@GroupC

:heart: for Peter
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #1767 on: March 12, 2020, 12:13:05 AM »
Sounds like the time is coming - brace yourselves for the cancellation of model railway shows :-(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:14:59 AM by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1768 on: March 21, 2020, 11:34:35 AM »
With the closure of our 'Heartbeat' gym classes until further notice I resolved to keep doing some form of exercise so, as the weather seemed to be drying/warming up slightly. the decision was made to get my pushbike prepared for use. All I did was bend down to remove a valve cap and 'Ping' went something in my back and I'm now hobbling around using a walking stick :doh: The pain is so bad at times I feel physically sick. Being abed is great as it takes all weight off my spine but as soon as I'm sat or stood, boy does it hurt. I will not just lie abed, though :no:

As Alannis Morisette would sing 'isn't it ironic' :laugh:

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1769 on: March 21, 2020, 11:39:23 AM »
Backs are delicate things. Take care Mick.
David.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal