!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: what are people doing on their layout right now  (Read 369339 times)

Online Shropshire Lad

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: what are people doing on their layout right now
« Reply #2910 on: November 04, 2019, 04:25:27 PM »
hi Shropshire lad

you : printed a few options for the canal bridge - is that from a decent source please ?  looks like a prototypical structure and easy to assemble
It's Thingiverse file, I saw it on a Prusa blog and thought it looked really prototypical.
I'm going to glue the deck sections together to try and get an 'added line' look.
Cheers Colin

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #2911 on: November 04, 2019, 04:28:47 PM »
thanks colin

looks superb and look forward to seeing this in place on your layout. chris

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #2912 on: November 04, 2019, 05:17:58 PM »
Putting together some Scalescenes kits, while I work up the enthusiasm to tackle a couple of track problems. I find these kits very satisfying to build even though they are rather time consuming! Owing to some eye problems they aint going to be perfect but hopefully will look Ok from a normal viewing distance. The recently finished garage lurking in the station yard, currently working on the goods shed, slow going as I can only work for shortish periods but at least it's progress of a sort!

Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2913 on: November 04, 2019, 05:22:20 PM »
Looks good to me.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2914 on: November 05, 2019, 11:11:05 AM »

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #2915 on: November 05, 2019, 12:43:13 PM »
You've done a great job on the station and the garage.

Be warned though the Scalescenes range can be addictive I think Ive spent more time building them than I have ever spent on the actual layout.
Oh and I am talking years of building..
Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #2916 on: December 07, 2019, 05:31:26 PM »
Well I've finally managed to finish the Scalescenes goods shed, was a little worried about the wagon openings but inspiration struck and I found a pint glass (now where did that come from?) rim was a perfect former. The shed windows were cut using a coin, so here it is in situ and as you can see Palmers brewery have just made a delivery so off to have a couple before supper  :pint: and looking at the colour of the beer in that smiley reminds me of a lovely stout (5%!) from Sixpenny brewery that I had during the week.

Next up will be a small pub for the station yard, I'm hoping the lock Keepers cottage with appropriate signage will look the part. As Jerry Howlett has said early signs of addiction
but after that I must try and make the yard scene, surfaces etc.
Cheers  David
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #2917 on: December 07, 2019, 05:55:11 PM »
Looking good what you have created thus far. Will take time to construct and achieve the best result with those scalescene buildings, have ordered some myself

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #2918 on: December 24, 2019, 09:57:51 PM »
Currently measuring from aerial photographs exactly where the trees on the embankments are to be planted.  :doh:

We have a box of 100 trees we acquired at a show a couple of years ago, these will be used to plug the holes and then a long trawl through line side photographs to match up the type of tree to the best one we have available.

It is quite amazing how the addition of some plastic and flock covered lumps adds a massive amount to a layout.

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #2919 on: January 18, 2020, 11:19:48 PM »
Recently I've been persevering with the detail on my micro-layout. It's so tempting just to throw it together and call it done at this stage but I'm really enjoying the process. It's amazing how long it takes to palletise oil drums and bags of flour in N gauge!  :goggleeyes:

All painted, assembled and stacked throughout this afternoon/evening. Time for bed now me thinks!  :sleep:
Gold Hill - my rule 1, “just for fun” micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2920 on: January 18, 2020, 11:25:47 PM »
Cool!  :thumbsup:

Is that the Ratio stuff?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #2921 on: January 18, 2020, 11:39:03 PM »
Cool!  :thumbsup:

Is that the Ratio stuff?

Thanks bealman. Yes; it’s the ratio stuff. I wasn’t sure so had to check. You get loads of it in the kit. I’m pretty sure it was part of a few bits I bought from NewportNobby on this forum. For a while I’ve been grabbing bits and pieces as and when I see them and now I’m finally getting to “play” with them! (The bits I can still find anyway!)  ::)
Gold Hill - my rule 1, “just for fun” micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline PGN

• N Gauge Society Number: 7306
    • Awards
« Reply #2922 on: January 18, 2020, 11:51:42 PM »
Right now, I'm trying to marshal all my stock into permanent trains so that when the layout is ready to go to exhibitions, I have the trains I need to work it.

It's really helping me to focus on my outstanding projects, prioritise them, and bring them to fruition one by one.

Current focus is on brake vans, to get a few more goods trains out there ...
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #2923 on: Yesterday at 01:20:32 AM »
Ballasting  :( :(

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2924 on: Yesterday at 07:06:52 AM »
I've got the signals working on Woodland, although one of them needs a little "guide" fitting to stop the solenoid plunger rotating and preventing the signal returning to the correct danger position. That can wait until I next take the baseboards up since the baseboard level is neither right for kneeling under nor crouching under so I'll do it with the baseboard up on edge some time.

Having done that, I'm working on Woodland's signal box - just the chimney to do, probably today, and the steps when the materials arrive. I've "cheated" with this one. I wasn't overly happy with the windows on Coniston's box so I bought a couple of the Ratio signal box interior kits and used the etched windows from those. Having found that these windows give a better view of the interior than my efforts on Coniston's  box I also used the frame base and levers from the kit, along with the stove and part of the instrument frame.

At the same time (not literally, I only have two hands) I'm preparing the trackbed levels for Broughton. The track through the original platform was two or three feet higher than that in the adjacent goods yard with a pretty prominent supporting wall that needs to be included. However, the baseboard design, to match up with my modular fiddle yard, is flat so I'm elevating the up platform track by 5.5mm and putting in a gentle gradient from the lefthand side baseboard join up to it and down again to the righthand side baseboard join.
Halfway up the left hand side, the goods yard access comes off and needs to descend about 3mm to the original baseboard surface, which has been a little tricky since I need to avoid twisting a  point so it won't become unreliable nor a running problem. Pretty sure I have it cracked so the next job is to smooth out some of the "steps" where I've used several thicknesses of ply to do the elevations then I can start to pin down track and test it thoroughly before fixing it permanently. I suspect that I may also need to move/shorten one sublevel brace by an inch or so to give room for one point motor.

I've also been experimenting with the level crossing system for Broughton. Woodland's had to be quite complex because it had two gates hinged on diagonally opposite posts so the gates had to arranged to be moved sequentially, in the right order and started/stopped individually. This required two rotors with magnets fitted, six reed switches and seven latching relays to control both gates and the track power each side, especially since the darned thing was built over a point so there were three track sections to be controlled, one of them interlocked with a signal.
At Broughton it was a more standard four-gate crossing - because the road was wider than the railway - which means that all four gates can be moved at once without any of them fouling another. The plan is to have four gearwheels below the baseboard, meshed in a square arrangement and with the gate hinge posts as extensions of the gearwheel shafts. I also won't need so many relay contact sets for the track power either side because it's just a single track, not over a point, so just two track sections to control, each interlocked with a signal.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here