Show Your Latest Completed Loco and Rolling Stock Kit/Scratch Builds

Started by EtchedPixels, July 09, 2013, 08:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

CarriageShed

Thanks John, Alex, Port Perran, and Russ. I modelled 20mm Napoleonics back in the 1990s, so I picked up quite a bit of painting skill then. It's surprising how much of it I've remembered, along with reading various hints and tips about weathering in N Gauge.

I wonder how long it will be before I dare to take a brush to one of my locos? ;)

Jerry Howlett

Very nice job the first wagon looks like its been through the wars, perhaps it was shipped to France in 1917 ?
Also like the tarp covered wagon I bought some from the NGS Shop but are still in the " round tuit " day. Where did you get the barrel loads from?

Anyway a great job.
Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

RussellH

Hi Guys,

Its taken a very long time to get this finished. Worsley class 29 on a farish 33 chassis, cl20 frames with extended couplers & tpm ploughs, 3D printed fuel tank and spoked wheels (etches by EP!). Painted by MK1 (thanks Marc). Sadly she's already left for her new home.....

[smg id=8917]

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

CarriageShed

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on December 19, 2013, 02:57:34 PM
Very nice job the first wagon looks like its been through the wars, perhaps it was shipped to France in 1917 ?
Also like the tarp covered wagon I bought some from the NGS Shop but are still in the " round tuit " day. Where did you get the barrel loads from?

Anyway a great job.
Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. Maybe 1917 is a little far back for a battered wagon of 1930, so I'll just say that it's one that has managed to dodge any maintenance work for a while and is probably next on the list.

The tarpaulin is just printed paper. I bought a few to see what they're like, but in future I'll print my own. It was creased and crumpled and folded before being weathered with a thinned wash of black acrylic and then a wash of mid-grey. Actually the grey was too heavy, making this one look like its very near the end of its expected three-year lifespan. The next ones will be less worn-looking.

Quote from: scotsoft on December 19, 2013, 04:01:56 PM
I would imagine from this seller Jerry  ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-stacks-of-beer-barrells-n-gauge-suit-Hornby-Lima-Bachmann-/111223428944?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item19e56ed750

That's the one! All painted by hand, including the barrel straps.  :scowl:

What can I use for ropes? Fuse wire, do you think?

Peter

CarriageShed

Quote from: RussellH on December 19, 2013, 06:30:00 PM
Hi Guys,

Its taken a very long time to get this finished. Worsley class 29 on a farish 33 chassis, cl20 frames with extended couplers & tpm ploughs, 3D printed fuel tank and spoked wheels (etches by EP!). Painted by MK1 (thanks Marc). Sadly she's already left for her new home...

That's a fantastic bit of work (or lot of work, probably). You should have kept it for a few days and enjoyed it- I mean run it in a bit.

RussellH

Hi Pete

Thanks - Got a sister loco to finish off now.

Rope - try your local sewing shop and look for a suitably twisted thread of the correct colour. Black does wire rope well so maybe some kind of tan/fawn for hessian etc?

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

scotsoft

Quote from: Pete33 on December 19, 2013, 08:28:54 PM
What can I use for ropes? Fuse wire, do you think?

Peter

Hi Peter,

I agree with Russ and if you go to your £1 shop you might be able to find a sewing "thing", the one I got had 24 different colours of thread in it so you could have old ropes and new ropes with the different colours  ;)

cheers John.

CarriageShed

Quote from: RussellH on December 19, 2013, 09:29:21 PM
Hi Pete

Thanks - Got a sister loco to finish off now.

Rope - try your local sewing shop and look for a suitably twisted thread of the correct colour. Black does wire rope well so maybe some kind of tan/fawn for hessian etc?

Regards
Russ

I have thread here, being a man of many independent means, but I can't get it to look like it's been tied across the load and onto the buffers and chassis without actually attaching it. I'd like the load to be removable. The idea is to use the same wagons with an array of loads, especially some tarpaulin-shielded hay bales in summer. You get the idea.

daveg

Daft idea perhaps but would something like this help to attach/hook the thread or whatever material to the buffers? Don't know how small these can go.

Haven't got a wagon or ruler to check dimensions but ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200-x-SILVER-PLATED-EYE-PINS-EYEPINS-35mm-DIA-0-7mm-/160462724522?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Dave G

CarriageShed

It's a nice idea, Dave, but they're the same length as the entire wagon body. Possibly coating the thread in something to stiffen it might do the trick, but superglue just seems to stick in clumps and doesn't really help. That's why I thought of fuse wire or similar, as a couple of strands of it could be twisted to produce a rope effect and it could be bent to shape. I'll have to try and scavenge some and give it a try.

daveg

I was thinking mainly of the little eye that could be snipped off and somehow attached to whatever you might use for the rope.

I'd be pleased to learn and see what you finally decide to do!

Dave G

daveg

Just occurred to me that coating or dipping the thread/whatever in Copydex may give you the right level of flexing?

Yours faithfully

Heath Robinson!  ;)

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: scotsoft on December 19, 2013, 04:01:56 PM
Quote from: Jerry Howlett on December 19, 2013, 02:57:34 PM
Where did you get the barrel loads from?

Jerry

I would imagine from this seller Jerry  ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-stacks-of-beer-barrells-n-gauge-suit-Hornby-Lima-Bachmann-/111223428944?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item19e56ed750

cheers John.

Doh !!!  I think I may have a few of them around somewhere, together with some crates and the odd coal sack....
Still nice job on the tarpaulin.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations