Show Your Latest Completed Loco and Rolling Stock Kit/Scratch Builds

Started by EtchedPixels, July 09, 2013, 08:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Test build completed. Quite pleased with this one. The close to scale bogie spacing limits it to about R2 curves but that's ok by me

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

EtchedPixels

As well as the non-corridor vans Palethorpes also owned a few corridor sausage vans that could be run in with other corridor stock. I'm not clear quite why this was useful but apparently it was.

and I finally finished off the test build I did ages ago. It's not quite the same as the production ones - as observant LMS fans will notice the ventilators on the windows are slightly out for that period of LMS stock.

I should probably have gone around the edges of the vinyl sides with a red felt tip before the sides went on. Oh well too late now !
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

johnlambert

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

EtchedPixels

Today I've been working on various (not yet finished) bits and also finishing off this one. Possibly the most obscure model I've ever done. It's the Barry Railway tool van. A unique 1890s built van to its own diagram.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

EtchedPixels

Holiday over. LMS 12 wheel sleeper first finished. This one is built around a test 3D printed core rather than just etched bits.

There's something about 12 wheel coaches.

Chetcombe

Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 21, 2014, 11:48:59 PM

There's something about 12 wheel coaches.

I have never seen that before. Why 3 axles per bogie? A better ride?

Thanks!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Chetcombe on April 22, 2014, 02:05:01 AM

Mostly to keep the axle loading down because the big coaches were heavy and many lines had quite restrictive axle loading limits. It was particularly common with sleeping cars and some of the dining vehicles. A few parcels/newspaper vans also had them.

Alan

johnlambert

Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 22, 2014, 12:00:30 PM

Mostly to keep the axle loading down because the big coaches were heavy and many lines had quite restrictive axle loading limits. It was particularly common with sleeping cars and some of the dining vehicles. A few parcels/newspaper vans also had them.

Alan

Were sleeper coaches noticeably heavier than ordinary coaches?  Is that because they included extra water tanks?

Newportnobby

Quote from: johnlambert on April 22, 2014, 01:34:48 PM

Were sleeper coaches noticeably heavier than ordinary coaches?  Is that because they included extra water tanks?

Probably to accommodate all those heavy sleepers :sorrysign:

EtchedPixels

Quote from: johnlambert on April 22, 2014, 01:34:48 PM
Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 22, 2014, 12:00:30 PM

Alan

In the LMS case all 68 or 69ft coaches were twelve wheel. The GWR happily put some 70ft coaches on eight wheel bogies. Sleepers are usually heavier but it never occurred to me to wonder why !

Alan

Vigo

I notice the title of this thread stipulates latest and completed, well here you go.

The larger of the two is a 00 scale scratch build completed about 8 years ago, made from 2 Bachmann N Class locos and part of a garden umbrella (that the wife still doesn't know about). The smaller one is a Skytrex N gauge kit that I finished (apart from numbering) about 4 or 5 years ago.

I have many unfinished projects on the go, most of which will never be finished. In fact the only one I have managed to finish recently was the Brighton & Rottingdean electric thing and that's not really a railway.
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

joe cassidy

Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 21, 2014, 11:48:59 PM
Holiday over. LMS 12 wheel sleeper first finished. This one is built around a test 3D printed core rather than just etched bits.

There's something about 12 wheel coaches

Hi Alan.

Where did you gent the transfers to do the "sleeping car" lettering  ?

Best regards,

Joe

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations