Show Your Latest Completed Loco and Rolling Stock Kit/Scratch Builds

Started by EtchedPixels, July 09, 2013, 08:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Couple more I've been doing here.

First a 60ft LMS TPO. In the end I used decorative ribbon painted black and glued to the net frame to get something that looked less overscale than any mesh I could find.

Secondly an ex LNWR third in LMS livery.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

d-a-n

Quote from: Pete33 on February 24, 2014, 11:28:50 PM
Looks good to me, too! Where did you get the loads from?

Thank you. I made them myself - bits of plasti milk bottle and cotton bud (q-tip) tube superglued onto a plastic platform, painted black, dry brushed silver then drybrushed/painted with a variety of browns. This I've done a post about them if you've any further interest  :thumbsup:

CarriageShed

Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 24, 2014, 11:48:50 PM

First a 60ft LMS TPO. In the end I used decorative ribbon painted black and glued to the net frame to get something that looked less overscale than any mesh I could find.

That looks great. I guess it's a post-war design... or at least very late 1930s?

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Pete33 on February 25, 2014, 09:23:51 AM
Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 24, 2014, 11:48:50 PM

That looks great. I guess it's a post-war design... or at least very late 1930s?

Dia. 1792 so between 1929 and 1933 if I remember rightly (I'd have to look it up to be sure).

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

CarriageShed

Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 25, 2014, 11:37:33 AM
Dia. 1792 so between 1929 and 1933 if I remember rightly (I'd have to look it up to be sure).

That's close enough to 1930 for me (although it will be nice to be sure). I'll have to add it to my wish list.

In the meantime, all done on the Parkwood Models resin loco kit. It took a few attempts to get the minimal weathering right, and it still looks better with the naked eye than it does in the photos!

That's my first loco kit done and dusted. There will certainly be more. ;)

The full project is covered in detail here:
http://www.ngauge.historyfiles.co.uk/FeaturesNGauge/howto_Diesel10800_Kit.htm

d-a-n

Congratulations on your first kit Pete, it looks a bit mmore involved than my first kit, kudos to you for taking it on!

CarriageShed

Thanks! I think sheer blind, optimistic enthusiasm pushed me on to complete it.

I also have the Parkwood Models SR Maunsell shunter body - the granddaddy of the Class 08 and 09. The second-hand chassis that I have for it doesn't work, though, so it may be a while before I can attack that kit.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Pete33 on February 25, 2014, 10:57:38 PM
Thanks! I think sheer blind, optimistic enthusiasm pushed me on to complete it.

I also have the Parkwood Models SR Maunsell shunter body - the granddaddy of the Class 08 and 09. The second-hand chassis that I have for it doesn't work, though, so it may be a while before I can attack that kit.

Ooh you actually have a dud new type class 08/09 chassis ? If you can't fix it do let me know as I'm after a couple of dud ones.

CarriageShed

Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 26, 2014, 12:17:54 AM
Ooh you actually have a dud new type class 08/09 chassis ? If you can't fix it do let me know as I'm after a couple of dud ones.

I'd rather get it fixed! Or at least attempt to. You can see what happens here:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19844.0

E Pinniger

Here's my latest, an ex-GWR AEC railcar built from an old Langley kit on a modified Life-Like (I think!) chassis. I added/replaced a lot of the details on the body and also reworked the bogie sides a bit though they're not truly accurate. The finished result is a bit lumpy and crude-looking compared to the Farish railcar, but I'm still fairly pleased with it and the kit + chassis didn't cost too much second hand.

I'll post some more photos (and a more detailed description) in my "workbench" thread soon.

Adam1701D

Here's Royal Mk1 Ladies-in-Waiting Saloon 2900 - a standard Farish Mk1 with the coach ends smoothed down to a more streamlined profile.

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: E Pinniger on February 26, 2014, 07:16:35 PM

Here's my latest, an ex-GWR AEC railcar built from an old Langley kit on a modified Life-Like (I think!) chassis. I added/replaced a lot of the details on the body and also reworked the bogie sides a bit though they're not truly accurate. The finished result is a bit lumpy and crude-looking compared to the Farish railcar, but I'm still fairly pleased with it and the kit + chassis didn't cost too much second hand.

I'll post some more photos (and a more detailed description) in my "workbench" thread soon.

Looks really good, I bought one on ebay (rip off) as it was missing the cab ends so has languished in my to do box for 10 years. This picture may be the inspiration I needed.  :thumbsup:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

ohlavache

Hello all.
Here is my first ever kit. It is a French railcar: X5500.
The body is made by AIM, a small company. I painted it in a fantasy livery for a touristic line.
The chassis is a Tomytec TM-22. It is not prototypical but it is the only one that fits.

I still need to paint the wheels in brown. I was recommended to use Revell Email color MATT 83.
Once done, I will go on with a kit from Etched Pixels: a lovely British railcar.
Have a nice night.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations