The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

As an ex-physics teacher, I would just say this.

Here in NSW, we had what we called Pupil Free Days for many years, even at the start of every term.

It wasn't a hassle for parents - they knew school didn't start until the day after.

However, from my point of view, they were the most incredible waste of time with a load of  :poop: shoved down your throat.

I hated them and used to whinge to Mrs Bealman about the waste of public money. I wanted to get back to teaching!

I had some long lunches down the pub.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

chrism

Quote from: class37025 on February 26, 2022, 02:38:56 PM
back where I belong.....
can anyone please explain to me what the  :censored: an inset day is ?????

AKA Baker Days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inset_day

Bealman

Looking at that link, it reminds me of how much I wished that I could have just used the time to get my lab ready, and line something up for the next day, when the kids arrived!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Jeepers! So kids are only under tuition 52% of the year.
That explains a lot of things to me

Trainfish

I first read that as an insect day and was about to explain that it was the day when the matron ran her fingers through your hair looking for nits. Luckily I read the replies before making myself look stupid   :doh:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

OffshoreAlan

Quote from: Trainfish on February 27, 2022, 01:55:38 PM

I first read that as an insect day and was about to explain that it was the day when the matron ran her fingers through your hair looking for nits.....

It could have been worse, you could have read it as incest day, the day when matron  :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

guest311

I first read that as an insect day and was about to explain that it was the day when the matron ran her fingers through your hair looking for nits. Luckily I read the replies before making myself look stupid   :doh:

could have been worse, there is another word that could have easily have been misread  :-[

The Q

I also seem to remember we were in school 09:00 to 16:00 every day. Yet when I finish work at 15:00 the roads are clogged with children leaving school..

chrism

Quote from: The Q on February 27, 2022, 03:05:11 PM
I also seem to remember we were in school 09:00 to 16:00 every day. Yet when I finish work at 15:00 the roads are clogged with children leaving school..

08:45 to 15:55 for me

guest311

indeed,
09:00 to 16:00 each day except wednesday and saturday.

sports afternoons

rugby / cricket / rowing / five mile run depending on the term and your ability.

then prep in the evening , ie homework, anyone else remember that ?

and 'my dog ate it' DID NOT WORK ! :-[

at our school, we also had a three mile run after school on monday / tuesday / thursday and friday.

no chance to get obese  >:D

that was on top of a one hour PT lesson every day.

we were fit,.... not 'fit', but just fit  :D

thebrighton

When at secondary school in the 80's we were there 8:45 to 4:00 but had 2 x 20 minute breaks and an hour for lunch. The school I worked at until recently may have started at the same time yet finished at 3:00 but only had 40 minutes of breaks in total so no actual difference in teaching time.

Trainfish

You mean the teachers needing to be restrained? I think a few of mine would have been quite happy to be restrained especially our Irish French teacher  :heart:

Quote from: OffshoreAlan on February 27, 2022, 02:09:43 PM

I first read that as an insect day and was about to explain that it was the day when the matron ran her fingers through your hair looking for nits.....

It could have been worse, you could have read it as incest day, the day when matron  :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

guest311

:-[
do you want to list your preferences re tea / coffee / jaffa cakes / hobnobs  :hmmm:

stevewalker

Quote from: thebrighton on February 27, 2022, 03:19:21 PM
When at secondary school in the 80's we were there 8:45 to 4:00 but had 2 x 20 minute breaks and an hour for lunch. The school I worked at until recently may have started at the same time yet finished at 3:00 but only had 40 minutes of breaks in total so no actual difference in teaching time.

Yes. I had time, during lunch breaks, to do some programming at a friend's house nearby or play badminton in school. My sons have just enough time to get lunch and eat it. The time for playing, making lasting friendships, etc. has disappeared. Even worse, from year 10, they shift from finishing at 15:00 to finishing at 16:00, making it a very long school day, with so little break time ... on top of a 2-1/2 hour round trip by bus; then homework; plus extra classes/work during holidays or at weekends.

I'm pretty sure they work harder than we had to!

I must admit the local school finish at 14:30, right through the whole school and have poor results - one of the reasons that my sons have a long bus journey!

Richardxharrison

Two responses in one post!

British Gas have just advised me that they have recalculated my monthly electric and gas direct debit to commence 1st march at £675.00 per month... really why should my swimming pool, outdoor hot tub and 7 bedroom, 4 living room and Victorian (style) conservatory house  cost soooo much to heat?

Secondly kids now'days I refer you to the following sketch...... true today as it has always been

Monty Python's Flying Circus -
"Four Yorkshiremen"

I rest my case ☺️

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations