Are metal/metal tyred wheels really the bees knees?

Started by Newportnobby, May 29, 2023, 10:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

So - Peco have brought out packs of wheels with nickel silver tyres. Based on Rails price for 40 axles @£58.50 it would cost me the best part of £200 to re-wheel my 70 Peco wagons.
The main accusation levelled at the old wheels is they lay down too much dirt on the track but there has to be some other benefit for metal over plastic? :hmmm:
Is it really worth the expense and time versus track cleaning more regularly?

Newportnobby

I'd also have to dig out every wagon code to find out what wheels they currently have as I'm quite sure Peco do not have a list stating, for example, NR-43 has this type and NR-44 has these so you need xyz replacements

Yet_Another

I fear this is a "which DCC system is the best?" kind of question. The answer is: it depends. Received wisdom says that metal wheels should offer less rolling resistance and be easier to clean, but if neither of those things is a particular issue, then it's moot. You do get a better clicketty-clack with metal wheels, though.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

martyn

Over time, I have replaced all my Peco and any other plastic wheels with, initially, Parkside Dundas and now Farish. I've even replaced some PD with Farish.

It's purely subjective, but I do find that the Farish style roll easiest of all due to the sharper pinpoint. But this has not been scientifically tested....

They still get dirty, but again, subjectively and not tested, a little less dirty with time.

Martyn

ntpntpntp

My N rolling stock inventory count must be over over 1200 nowadays (Continental and British), so there's no way I'd purposefully go around replacing plastic wheels with metal equivalents  :no:  I'd say metal wheels are preferable but not essential by any means. Both pick up dirt and require cleaning from time to time.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

Quote from: Yet_Another on May 29, 2023, 11:55:44 AM
You do get a better clicketty-clack with metal wheels, though.

I like that, but with me using (in the main) long lengths of flexitrack the only clicketty-clack is over rail joins and points/crossings

Quote from: ntpntpntp on May 29, 2023, 12:02:24 PM
My N rolling stock inventory count must be over over 1200 nowadays (Continental and British), so there's no way I'd purposefully go around replacing plastic wheels with metal equivalents  :no:  I'd say metal wheels are preferable but not essential by any means. Both pick up dirt and require cleaning from time to time.

Strewth! I was only thinking about my Peco wagons I've had for decades, not my full rolling stock which equates to about ½ of Nick's

Nbodger

Mick,

From my experience it doesn't make much difference between PECO plastic wheels and any metal wheels, they all need the occasional clean. In reality I find some metal coach wheels are the worse offenders.

Anyway being a Yorkshireman there is no way I am shelling out to re-wheel for no gain.

Trains are run most days and the track is only cleaned three / four times a year and trains still perform well at slow speed without problems.

Mike H

Bealman

I've never had an issue with the plastic wheels. I find them unobtrusive to my eyes. The only advantage of metal wheels that I can see is they add a bit of extra weight to what are pretty lightweight wagons.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ijmsmith

50 axles spoked Mathieson wheels for £45 inc P&P on Ebay. Axles are thicker so add even more weight. They fit Peco wagons...

PLD

I do replace plastic wheels (either PD or Farish), but I would not use the new Peco wheels.
Although they are metal tyred, that's only part of the story... The new Peco wheels still have plastic axles - a metal axle has a much sharper pin point and will roll much freer, and they are still fixed at a back-to-back which is on the lower limit for their own track, and tight for anything finer...

The Q

From the technical point of view, plastic is softer than metal, it will wear more than metal, leaving plastic dust on the tracks which is an insulator.

Also metal tyres being harder will have less rolling resistance.

Pinpoint metal bearings are technically better too.

On a larger scale I always change the plastic wheels, and replace the bearings  with metal.
In N I've yet to start replacement, I'm still working on the layout.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: The Q on May 31, 2023, 09:23:43 AM
From the technical point of view, plastic is softer than metal, it will wear more than metal, leaving plastic dust on the tracks which is an insulator.

But aren't Peco plastic wheel sets made from Acetal? If so, its a pretty tough wear resistant material.

Webbo

I like the noise that metal wheelsets make as they roll along. Trains sound like trains. Much better than the quieter plastic wheels.

Webbo

The Q

I don't know if they are acetal, all references I find are to plastic injection.
Acetal is tough, I've got some in the workshop, I turn it down to make wheels to fit in sheaves, for my 16ft sailing boat.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%