Union Mills locomotives

Started by lanessend, February 26, 2023, 10:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanessend

I was sad to read in the N Gauge Society Journal that the propietor of Union Mills is retiring and once his remaining stock is sold that will be the end.

One wonders if there is any news of some enterprising soul out there taking over the business and continuing an excellent line.

Bigmac

Quote from: lanessend on February 26, 2023, 10:00:31 PM
I was sad to read in the N Gauge Society Journal that the propietor of Union Mills is retiring and once his remaining stock is sold that will be the end.

One wonders if there is any news of some enterprising soul out there taking over the business and continuing an excellent line.

all his stock sold out within days of the announcement.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

lanessend

I'm not surprised. I wish him a long and happy retirement.

PLD

Quote from: lanessend on February 26, 2023, 10:00:31 PMOne wonders if there is any news of some enterprising soul out there taking over the business and continuing an excellent line.
Plenty of discussion on the existing thread on here at the time it was announced. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57395.0

No shortage of well meant but fanciful suggestions, however all overlooking the key fact that Colin made it clear he didn't want to pass on the business...

lanessend

Thank you for the link although I found tone of the reply somewhat aggressive.

Doc Pye

QuoteThank you for the link although I found tone of the reply somewhat aggressive.

Okay, not sure how you read that...as most people were just happy Colin provided great locos for as long as he did, and now at 78, we all wish him a happy retirement.

Yes, some people were perhaps a bit caught off guard by the 'sudden' news...but at 78, Colin was going to call it quits eventually. Just another lesson of making sure you buy things when you can, as they won't always be around.

Fortunately, I have three (3) of Colin's great little GWR locos in my collection, and they are really good locos.

So again, a BIG HAPPY RETIREMENT FOR COLIN!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: And a big thank you for making such great little workhorse locos that so many people have enjoyed!

Train Waiting

Quote from: lanessend on February 27, 2023, 11:32:29 AM
Thank you for the link although I found tone of the reply somewhat aggressive.

I had another look at what I first thought was a helpful reply from @PLD and I still don't think the tone is, or was intended to be, aggressive.  It is, in my view, a good summary of the situation.

In my own correspondence with Mr Heard, he has made it clear that he doesn't think the business is suitable for passing-on to others.

Perhaps, like his fellow Manx resident, the late Dr Daniels, Union Mills locomotives are so associated with one man's passion that it is fitting the business is not passed to others.

To me, it's rather like the end of Velocette motor-cycles - everyone knew it would happen but were shocked when it did.  However, like Veloce Ltd, the business will close with dignity and its nicely-engineered products will delight enthusiasts for generations to come.

With all best wishes.

John

Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Greygreaser

Seems the end of production of Union Mills locos has registered with sellers on eBay- prices for J39 around £100 and J26 from an 'antiques' dealer £119.50.
Think this is pure greed and I feel like offering the last list price as they are all S/H and often not tested!

If the time comes to pass mine on I'll defo list here on the forum not where these greedy types can grab them!
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Doc Pye

To be fair, people will often charge what they can for things. Look at the housing market, the rising prices of food, etc. It really is sometimes down to supply and demand, and since Colin has retired - and we all wish him the best, as he clearly earned it! - there is no more supply. So the demand function takes over. I have just happy that I have three GWR UM models in my collection. One of these days I will get busy updating the liveries...but perhaps I shouldn't given they are 'original oop models' .... :laugh3:

ntpntpntp

Rarity of desirable items will naturally push the price up.  That's not greed.    People will pay what the item is worth to them (if they don't apply due diligence and shop around for the best deal then that's their choice).   If it's considered over-priced by the majority of potential purchasers then it won't sell, simple.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bigmac

hopefully these sellers of overpriced UM locos will share their profits with the man who made them.

Doc Pye

Quoteopefully these sellers of overpriced UM locos will share their profits with the man who made them.

Clearly BigMac International Workers day is making you think things...power to the people Comrade!

Seriously, it would be nice to share but that just isn't going to happen.

PLD

Quote from: Bigmac on May 01, 2023, 09:17:08 PM
hopefully these sellers of overpriced UM locos will share their profits with the man who made them.
Can you confirm that if you sell your house you will share any excess over what you paid with the original builders please?

Bigmac

Quote from: PLD on May 01, 2023, 11:58:34 PM
Can you confirm that if you sell your house you will share any excess over what you paid with the original builders please?
Quote from: PLD on May 01, 2023, 11:58:34 PM

No..i cant confirm that as my house is not for sale..neither is my UM collection.

geofff

Quote from: ntpntpntp on May 01, 2023, 08:48:36 PM
Rarity of desirable items will naturally push the price up.      People will pay what the item is worth to them (if they don't apply due diligence and shop around for the best deal then that's their choice).   

It's the same as some Peco locos last week . It now becomes a rich mans hobby - this could stop anyone on a low/fixed income from getting involved in N Gauge.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%