In the hot weather . . .

Started by devonjames, July 11, 2022, 05:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devonjames

So, 'she who must be obeyed without question' has banned me from working in the loft on my layout during the hot weather. To be fair she has a point because I did come down dripping wet the other day. So, today I've taken over the dining table as a work bench and have used the time to make a start on the pile of Metcalfe models I bought recently. Today I made a PN961 Modern Retail Unit and I enjoyed building it.  Some models I find frustrating but the Mefcalfe ones I find quite satisfying to build.  I have another one of these to build tomorrow and then I'll start on the terraced houses, unless I get side tracked onto the petrol station.  Bring on the heatwave, I've got enough kits to build to last me at least another week.

How has the hot weather affected you?

guest10040

me - not much, I did 13 months in the Gulf - rule 1 keep hydrated [off down the Provost Club]
SWMBO - really suffering , may need to re-book her next consult which requires a visit to PRH for an x-ray

HB - as long as I carry loads of water for him on his walks, and even 'mist / spray' him with water to cool him, he is, amazingly, fine.

though some IDOs still seem to think it is ok to expect their dogs to spend their entire walk chasing tennis balls.

what is the term I'm looking for  >:D

Newportnobby

Luckily, oop North we don't tend to get the extreme hot weather. As an example, tomorrow is expected to be around 23 degrees. Worst thing for me is the nights  :sweat: as I can't sleep and that just makes me irritable next day.

port perran

I love the heat.
We don't get enough warm to hot sunny days so make the most of them while you can.
It's been about 26/27 degrees in Cornwall today. Lovely to sit outside and soak up the rays. It makes you feel so much better.
And I adore the warm nights with the windows wide open. I sleep like a log.
Bring on more of it I say.

Mind you....I love the cold, frosty weather as well,
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

AlexanderJesse

Transferred my home office into the garden shed under the hazelnut tree. Dogs love it too...
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

crewearpley40

Just about old enough to remember the long hot summer of 76. Prefer the shade myself. Working on the railways great if the aircon works , sweaty work shunting and coupling/ uncoupling.

ntpntpntp

Today doesn't seem to have been as hot as it might have been down in the South East corner, it was quite pleasant in my home office with the windows and patio door open. I know they're threatening it will get hotter towards the weekend, not my idea of fun.

Must admit I'd never ever build a layout in a loft, shed or garage unless it were properly lined out and stabilised for temperature and humidity.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

EtchedPixels

I have considered the matter carefully and am sitting in the shade drinking cold beer until it gets better ;)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

stevewalker

Quote from: crewearpley40 on July 11, 2022, 09:35:39 PM
Just about old enough to remember the long hot summer of 76. Prefer the shade myself. Working on the railways great if the aircon works , sweaty work shunting and coupling/ uncoupling.

Yes, at just coming up to 10 years old, I loved the summer of '76. Out all day, exploring or having water fights. A wonderful summer. And yes, these days, I prefer it much cooler.

Bealman

You lot don't know the meaning of hot  ;)

Ironically, I'm freezing at the moment, even with the heaters on!  :(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

marco neri

Hi,
23...26/27 degrees?
You're so lucky!...
You can't understand here.....it's going to start one more "week of fire" :(

Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

nick_bastable

I spent the summer of 76 working in a tiny kitchen knocking out  maybe 300 meals a day, school broke early for exams so I spent may be  10  weeks doing that.  Lovely memories of my family and the odd day off spending loads although not on trains more like young fillies   would I be 15 again yes in 76 now I'm not so sure

LASteve

Hope this doesn't constitute a thread-jack regarding 1976, but I was sitting in the Albion pub with a pint in hand at the bottom of Station Hill in Winchester when the drought broke early in the evening in late August.

Everyone in the pub took their drinks outside to marvel at the phenomenon of Getting Wet. We waved at the denizens of the Eagle opposite, who all came out to do the same thing and in solidarity "Get Wet Outside With The Albion". Then we all got wet, all collectively said "sod this" and went back inside for a refill.

After this exhibition of community spirit, the customers of The Albion and The Eagle returned to their collective behavior of ignoring each other, as far was possible in a small town.

Chris Morris

I had a garden railway before I started N gauge. In fact I only started N gauge because I found it wasn't so nice outside in the winter. So when its hot I play with bigger trains outdoors.

I ran this special on Sunday.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Ali Smith

Which just goes to show that Rock Island Line is indeed a mighty fine line!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations