In the hot weather . . .

Started by devonjames, July 11, 2022, 05:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Morris

Or if I go into my railway room I am instantly beside the seaside.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

GAD

We got to 27C in the sun yesterday, the house has been well shut up on the South side blinds closed during daylight, we open windows as the outside temperature falls below the outside. We have a well practised routing for hot days, and one or two in a row can be managed. However more than two days and the portable air-con' comes out and the living room becomes our cool haven.

Bealman

Quote from: Chris Morris on July 12, 2022, 06:42:58 AM
I had a garden railway before I started N gauge. In fact I only started N gauge because I found it wasn't so nice outside in the winter. So when its hot I play with bigger trains outdoors.

I ran this special on Sunday.

Now that's my kind of train! I reckon @Trainfish will be impressed, too. :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

@Chris Morris I can't recall BR running such an intensive service in my spotting days :no: ;)
Nearest thing to that was trying to get the number off everything through Clapham Junction!!

Bealman

Quote from: GAD on July 12, 2022, 09:30:48 AM
We got to 27C in the sun yesterday, the house has been well shut up on the South side blinds closed during daylight, we open windows as the outside temperature falls below the outside. We have a well practised routing for hot days, and one or two in a row can be managed. However more than two days and the portable air-con' comes out and the living room becomes our cool haven.

I'm sure my fellow antipodean members will be chuckling along with me.... 27? Try a couple of days in your house at 42!  ;)

GAD

Quote from: Bealman on July 12, 2022, 09:40:10 AM

I'm sure my fellow antipodean members will be chuckling along with me.... 27? Try a couple of days in your house at 42!  ;)

One good reason why emigrating to Ox' was never on my 'to do' list.

I'm a Northerner, and my house, and pretty much everyone else's house in the UK is not set up to cope with heat. It's insulated, has windows that act as radiators passing heat from the sun into the house and does not have built in air-con, or shutters.

If global warming keeps on, and I see no reason why it would not, then we will need to spend big money to help keep it cool in the summers to come.

Bealman

I'm a northerner too!

Where abouts are you?  I'm from Sunderland.  :beers:

The Q

I've worked in Saudi when the thermometer goes off the scale (70C) and it's in the shade of the box you're putting the equipment into you know it's hot.. (note, surrounded by black tarmac, in no wind)

These days, the meter screen just above the PC says..
Zone 1, 23.87C
Zone 2, 23.57C
Zone 3, 22.25C,
Zone 4, 23.08C
Average 23.17C,
Humidity 42.44%
Mains frequency 50.01 Hz
Mains Voltage 225.49VAC

All for this little 15ft square lab.
I don't think the outside temperature will bother me till I go out the the Landrover at the end of work, that's sat with the bulkhead vents open and the windows partly open..

Newportnobby

Try a couple of days in your house at 42!  ;)

My house isn't at 42. It's at 44 :dunce:
When I retired last night the temperature in the bungalow was 25. It's all very well having this thick loft insulation but it traps the heat below it. Maybe I ought to sleep in the loft :hmmm:

guest10040

only if you want the local council to increase your council tax @Newportnobby
they would probably upgrade you to the next band, announce a number of modifications you need to make, and then book a holiday on the proceeds.

Newportnobby

Just checked the local forecast on the Beeb website:-

Weds - Fri nothing above 20
Saturday up to 23
Sunday up to 26
Mon and Tues 29

This is going to be hugely uncomfortable for many humans and most domestic pets, and will be even worse, no doubt, darn sarf (as warned about on the news)

ntpntpntp

The South East corner's been quite bearable again today, I was expecting it to be hotter. In fact it's overcast at the moment which made my weekly walk back from the Indian takeaway very pleasant :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

port perran

I've been fishing (freshwater not sea) all day.
Twas cloudy this morning and at 8-00am we even had a tiny shower.
But it eventually turned sunny and reached a very pleasant 27 degrees.
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

Graham

We all have a definition of hot and cold, having just come back from Darwin, where the ticket collector at the Darwin Tunnel museum was complaining about the cold and wearing a coat as it was only getting to 25c that day, I of course was in shorts and teeshirt.

stevewalker

Quote from: Graham on July 12, 2022, 11:57:21 PM
We all have a definition of hot and cold, having just come back from Darwin, where the ticket collector at the Darwin Tunnel museum was complaining about the cold and wearing a coat as it was only getting to 25c that day, I of course was in shorts and teeshirt.

I once toured the Ice Caves in Austria, that remain frozen all year round, wearing shorts, tee shirt and sandals.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%