What is it with Peco flexitrack prices at the moment?

Started by Rarius, October 06, 2020, 09:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rarius

I'm looking for more SL-300F code 55 flexi track to finish off my layout, but the prices and availability seem to have goon wacko at the moment.

Hattons are showing it at £3.20 but are out of stock and everywhere with it in stock are asking silly prices. And don't even look at EBay! I've seen single pieces of track going for £18+

Is there a shortage or have Peco put everyone on furlough for 2020?

ntpntpntp

The Peco factory had been closed for a while at the start of lockdown, though I thought I saw an announcement that some production had re-started.   Yes availability has been very low / sold out of some products.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Steven B

The Peco factory closed for several weeks and everyone had more free time at home. The net result is shops selling out of track and point work.

Metcalf had a similar surge in orders and has only in the last month or two got back up to something resembling normal stock levels.

Steven B.

emjaybee

It's supply chain shock from the world shutdowns at the start of the year.

Peco track is made in Britain, but they have to buy in the plastic and the metal for the track, plus other consumables for the product. If those factories/suppliers were shutdown in Feb, say, they start up again in Apr. They start manufacturing the base metal and plastic, but can't ship it as the transport packaging isn't available until June, as they've been shut down. By the time they can pack and ship the transport companies are shutdown until August as their ships are in the wrong place as they were shut down. And so on and so forth!

I'm having hells own job getting some materials for work. Dulux Trade paints are a problem at the moment. There's also a shortage of loft insulation.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bealman

Try getting marble tiles from China that arrive in Melbourne just getting over it's second lockdown and then have to make it from Victoria to New South Wales.  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

emjaybee

Quote from: Bealman on October 06, 2020, 09:55:25 AM
Try getting marble tiles from China that arrive in Melbourne just getting over it's second lockdown and then have to make it from Victoria to New South Wales.  ;)

Isn't that what they call a "first world problem" ?
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Bealman

Bealman

stevewalker

I can't help with code 55, but if anyone in the Manchester area is looking for code 80, how about https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/pico-sl-300-n-gauge-straights-for-model-reailway/1386280638

I have no idea if they are still available.

honestjudge

I noticed how the prices jumped at lockdown.  Hattons have come back to pre covid price of £69 for code 80.
Code 55 was £84 before, but the best price I have seen is now £94.  If you can get it!

Roy L S

If supply is limited and demand is higher then far less reason to shave margins, basic economics really.

honestjudge

Quote from: Roy L S on October 06, 2020, 08:50:58 PM
If supply is limited and demand is higher then far less reason to shave margins, basic economics really.

Yes we can all see that, it's called profiteering.  It's similar to the toilet roll syndrome where some retailers upped the price 200%.
I suppose you pay your money and make a choice.

Roy L S

Quote from: honestjudge on October 06, 2020, 10:05:44 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on October 06, 2020, 08:50:58 PM

Yes we can all see that, it's called profiteering.  It's similar to the toilet roll syndrome where some retailers upped the price 200%.
I suppose you pay your money and make a choice.

Not really, profiteering is to make an excessive profit in such a situation, I don't think the Hattons price of £3.50 (e.g.) for a single yard of Code 55 is excessive, most seem to sell at between this and about £4 that is not the same as the toilet roll example at all.

N_GaugeModeller

Plus add to the mix one of the major players in keeping prices down (track shack) ceased trading so it was natural that those trying to match them would no longer need to discount  quite as much as they used to.

Look around everything is creeping up now.

Lack of stock, more demand, plus lots of other reasons all do nothing for low prices.

We will soon be paying list prices or they will be asking list prices and going out of business because the few who could pay those prices have or are dieing off 😉 Covid or old age  8).

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations