Mk IID carriages.. how have folk got round their lack of availability?

Started by Ricky B, November 28, 2019, 03:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky B

It's fair to say, as I've returned to proper modelling after a break of 35 years (since my teens), my first project is taking shape with a certain amount of fluidity with ideas and eras still to be fully confirmed. Lately I've started getting a tingle about extending my end to end scenario of the Pontefract/Castleford area to possibly have long fiddle yards at right angles to accommodate proper length trains and it might just push me back from mid 90s to my favourite era of 1969-73.

Top of mind is East Coast Main Line diversion traffic. Am I right in thinking that a mkIID air-con as appeared on the ECML services from 1972 have never been available? Sure, MkIIa is available and MKIs but I thought I'd check. If they are unavailable and with no sign of any being made, how do modellers deal with it? Are there any of you guys who've found a way round it? (Apart from modelling something else :)..

bluedepot

i have got some old farish mk2d coaches in blue/grey - i think they are the made in china ones. you could just look online or at shows for some?

guest311

crewearpley40

If looking at pontefract yes diversions via wakefield route could be common.  I have known the saturday only bradford weymouth in the summer travel years ago via wakefield kirkgate pontefract sheffield. Rule 1 . Go for it

Ricky B

Quote from: bluedepot on November 28, 2019, 04:02:16 PM
i have got some old farish mk2d coaches in blue/grey - i think they are the made in china ones. you could just look online or at shows for some?
So Farish have made them in the past?

crewearpley40

Yes. Google farish mk 2d coaches. Ive seen blue grey .scotrail and exec livery

Ricky B

Quote from: class37025 on November 28, 2019, 04:06:38 PM
suck it up,

curse Farish,  :veryangry:

have a bevvy,  :beers:

apply rule 1  >:D

Well, I'm all for having a bevvy ..

As I'm 3/4 of the way towards building a section of the Castleford-Garforth branch, and I'm applying Rule 1 in 'keeping the branch open into the 1970s' and by planning to run Leeds-KX diverted traffic as the branch saw in the 60s, I thought I might have used up my ration of rule one for this year!

:beers: cheers!

crewearpley40

Im sure newportnobby mick has a link for all farish items ever made. Pm him. Ngauge.org.uk/index.htm
British n gauge resources site. Www.geocities.ws/dvdics/GrahamFarish if poole era. Bachmann.co.uk/past_and_present

Ricky B

Quote from: crewearpley40 on November 28, 2019, 04:10:48 PM
If looking at pontefract yes diversions via wakefield route could be common.  I have known the saturday only bradford weymouth in the summer travel years ago via wakefield kirkgate pontefract sheffield. Rule 1 . Go for it

I grew up in Knottingley and the re-routing of ECML/KX-West Riding traffic through our town was a massive part of my railway fun. Daily diet of filthy green (apparently!) 47s on MGR and 37s with mineral wagons (early 70s) were all very well but life in 'Knottla' took on a different hue when the diversions were on and the big droning engines with red nameplates came calling late into Sat night and on through Sunday, rattling the spare bedroom window in my Nanna's house which overlooked the 'Donny line' and where I lightly slept.. :claphappy:

If I can't source enough MkIIDs I'll just have to limit my time frame to 1971 for now..

Ricky B

Quote from: crewearpley40 on November 28, 2019, 04:34:38 PM
Im sure newportnobby mick has a link for all farish items ever made. Pm him. Ngauge.org.uk/index.htm
British n gauge resources site. Www.geocities.ws/dvdics/GrahamFarish if poole era. Bachmann.co.uk/past_and_present
That's a good shout CreweArpley40. Will do👍
And thanks for link.

crewearpley40

Ive asked mick to pm posta link if he gets 5 ricky. A pdf to all farish / dapol products. Yes farish have produced. Just google farish n gauge mk2d coaches . A diverted set with bg and buffet would  look ok or a 45 or 47 with mk2a b c d and mk1 on the poole birmingham sheffield bradford would look ok

njee20

Farish have produced Mk2D's before, they're getting on a bit, with all livery elements printed, so no flush glazing etc.

If they don't do the livery you want (or more realistically if you can't get stock any more) Electra Vinyls do a range you can convert, these were done with vinyls, excuse the slightly sloppy application:

Untitled by njee20, on Flickr

I keep an eye out for coaches to use as donors as retain a stash - they're getting increasingly scarce.

There is a new Farish model due 'soon', there have been painted samples (in Intercity Swallow and blue/grey) shown for a few months and they look stunning, but apparently production is still TBC and likely to be a while yet (H2 next year is being suggested).

Ricky B

Quote from: njee20 on November 28, 2019, 05:12:28 PM
Farish have produced Mk2D's before, they're getting on a bit, with all livery elements printed, so no flush glazing etc.

If they don't do the livery you want (or more realistically if you can't get stock any more) Electra Vinyls do a range you can convert, these were done with vinyls, excuse the slightly sloppy application:

Untitled by njee20, on Flickr

I keep an eye out for coaches to use as donors as retain a stash - they're getting increasingly scarce.

There is a new Farish model due 'soon', there have been painted samples (in Intercity Swallow and blue/grey) shown for a few months and they look stunning, but apparently production is still TBC and likely to be a while yet (H2 next year is being suggested).

Is it definitely Mk2D that's been announced by Farish? Not Mk2E? I could be wrong but seem to have noticed talk of the latter lately.

The idea of Electra vinyls on a donor old Farish Mk2d is very interesting..thanks for raising that as a possible..

crewearpley40

Mark 2fs by farish are awaited. I googled n gauge mk2r  coaches hattons have a link. Mk2a maybe available. But im waiting see whats out therw

red_death

Mk2D were done by "old" Farish, Mk2Fs are on the way at some point (possibly) next year.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%