Mk IID carriages.. how have folk got round their lack of availability?

Started by Ricky B, November 28, 2019, 03:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottishModeller

Quote from: njee20 on November 28, 2019, 05:12:28 PM
Farish have produced Mk2D's before, they're getting on a bit, with all livery elements printed, so no flush glazing etc.

Untitled by njee20, on Flickr

hi NJee,

That's a good looking rake you have!

I'm part way through creating 2 rakes in the same way.

Yes - Farish Mk2 are getting scarcer and more expensive at the same time!

I have a permanent ebay search set up but I really object to sellers who want current pricess for coaches that were as cheap as £4.99 when they bought them!

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Steven B

Quote from: njee20 on November 28, 2019, 05:12:28 PM
Farish have produced Mk2D's before, they're getting on a bit, with all livery elements printed, so no flush glazing etc.

Being printed on a clear body shell they're very flush glazed. In some respects I prefer them to the current designs where theres often a prism effect around the edge of the windows.

Poole era Mk2ds came in two types, the earliest had a seperate strip for the windows allowing different types to be produced. Farish only ever did FO and TSO. TPM had a range of replacement inserts that allowed different types (e.g. BSO) to be modelled. I believe these only ever came in BR Blue/grey.

The one peice clear body shell followed and lastest well into the era of Chinese production. Poole era Farish did Intercity Executive, Intercity Swallow and more Blue/Grey. They also did Mka using the same body shell, roof and underframe in Regional Railways and NSE. Again, only the FO and TSO were available.

When Bachmann purchased Farish they were reasonably quick in issuing updated Mk2d models using the same body shell. Livery printing and detail was improved whilst blackened wheels were fitted. Liveries produced were Blue/Grey, Virgin and First Great Western "Fag packet". These ranges were the first to include a TSOT (one seating bay given over to a trolley providing a basic buffet service) and a BSO. No updated Mka were produced until the Blue-Ribbon model a few years ago.

The slow development time for the Mk2F is rather anoying but at least they're giving mid-late BR era modellers enough to put together an accurate rake - a BFK would be a useful addition for secondary services but I won't hold my breath for one...

Steven B.

Newportnobby

Here's a site which may help you see who has done what, and I've attached a purely Farish pdf which is somewhat out of date now but I can't see them bothering to update it.

http://ngauge.org.uk/index.php

bluedepot

crewearpley40

Are there any secondhand  as i noticed some at the purley show tanks show but someone else beat me to them and i already have 6 to go with my Bg and buffet

Steven B

They appear regularly on EBay; I'm sure many of the second hand sellers will get them in too. The only problem is the price - as they've been unavailable for so long they often go for £10+ over their original retail price (buy it now prices can be even more!)

Steven B.

AdrianC

I think the Inlay versions and the early clear shell FO versions were labelled mk2E (although the underframes were no different on the models even if they were in real life). There are certainly InterCity exec liveried inlay versions (I've managed to get some recently) and pretty much all the remaining TPM inlays are now available from BH Enterprises. They had two large crates of them at TINGs.

One to look out for is the clear shell FO which is printed as a MK2E but has the toilets in the opposite corners to what they should be. I've stripped mine and put an Electra vinyl on it.

I tend to find the coaches that come up the most on ebay at First Great Western "fag packet" liveried ones, but then if you are stripping them they are perfect :)
If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape. It it doesn't move and should, WD40...

Rabbitaway

If you are buying from Ebay and are trying to distinguish between clear plastic shell and inlay versions look out for the moulding pip on the centre window, this means it is an inlay model and therefore no use for vinyls. Should be easy to spot on the photos

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations