N Gauge Society Journal -- yikes, the new editor is me, so I'll be needing help!

Started by NeMo, April 04, 2019, 09:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottishModeller

Hi Neale,

I suppose I'd better start writing up my in progress wagon projects then!

Hope this all works out for you - I'm sure there will be others who will be able to help if need be.

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

nookfield

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 04, 2019, 03:28:43 PM
I'm damned sure my postie would fold an A4 version :worried:

I have 2 monthly A4 sized railway magazines delivered by Royal Mail and the postie so far hasn't managed to ruin either.   

Newportnobby

Quote from: nookfield on April 04, 2019, 08:13:19 PM

I have 2 monthly A4 sized railway magazines delivered by Royal Mail and the postie so far hasn't managed to ruin either.

But my postie folds all my post in half other than birthday/Christmas cards and the A5 Journal. Swap?

nookfield

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 04, 2019, 08:39:20 PM
Quote from: nookfield on April 04, 2019, 08:13:19 PM

But my postie folds all my post in half other than birthday/Christmas cards and the A5 Journal. Swap?

My postie folds a lot of mail, especially as my letter box is sprung on the inside as well as the outside, but always manages to delivery magazines without any folding.

joe cassidy

Should we have a survey of posties who fold or don't fold magazines to do decide on the format ?

Dickydcc

Congrats on your new role, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

tunneroner61

Quote from: Dorsetmike on April 04, 2019, 10:25:40 PM
Run a poll for A5/A4/no preference on this forum.
NeMo, please don't run a poll here, just make the decision yourself. This forum is not an NGS forum, any discussion of the magazine size should be done over on the groups.io forum dedicated to the NGS.

Norman

railsquid

Congrats!

I can't make any promises, but I have a couple of half-baked ideas for Japan-related N gauge articles, in case that sounds of any interest.

Chetcombe

Well done @NeMo for stepping up into the void. 40+ replies in less than 24 hours shows that you are filling a very important and visible role.

I will certainly try and help you with a contribution or two and sincerely hope that other forum members accept your call to action - There are so many great ideas and projects highlighted on the forum which could easily be translated into great articles.

I also hope this gives an opportunity for the journal and the NGF to have a closer relationship. At best the previous editor kept the NGF at arms length, which seems to me to have been a missed opportunity.

In your many posts to the forum, I have discerned (and appreciated) your strong point of view. I hope you keep this philosophy in your new role and look forward to seeing your stamp on the direction the journal takes in the future.

Thanks again and best of luck.
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

PhilD

Neale,

Well done for stepping up to the plate!

I don't know if this is helpful, or even if it can be done, but I am more than happy to proof read any documents for you.

I live in Queensland but that shouldn't pose a problem if document files can be moved around electronically.

Unfortunately I don't have a layout so I've not much to write about!

Let me know if my offer is of interest.

Cheers

Phil

The Q

I prefer A5, I receive 4 other clubs (2 sailing, 2 railway) magazines in A5 format so you are not alone.

If you go to A4 it will become thin and floppy giving the feel  more of a news letter than a Magazine. It will "appear" to be of a lesser quality.

A5 reduces the risk of it being folded by the postie.

NeMo

Personally, I like the A5 format. It tucks into my backpack easily, so I can read it while commuting on a train or bus. A4 magazines tend to get bashed about a bit.

But I can see advantages to A4, and Grahame has discussed these at length within the NGS.

As I say, I don't really have strong feelings either way, and as/when the rest of the committee feel the Journal needs resizing, I'd be happy to go along with them.

At the end of the day it's the content that matters, not the size of the magazine.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Bealman

Good luck with it anyway, mate. I tend to think the format will become a secondary issue as the months go by!  :thumbsup:

I second Chetcombe's post.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Vonzack

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations