New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Soldering Iron - What To Buy?  (Read 143 times)

Offline Artisan

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Soldering Iron - What To Buy?
« on: December 04, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »
 :helpneededsign:

I want to get a soldering iron but I see that there are many types. Could someone suggest what specification would be suitable for soldering wire to track for power connection and also recommend a suitable solder?

As you can see I know little about this subject!!
Best regards
Greg

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
Re: Soldering Iron - What To Buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:14:24 PM »
As another inexperienced and cack-handed solderer, I can recommend this:

https://www.rapidonline.com/Anvil-AV-A48W-Adjustable-Analogue-48W-Solder-Station-85-5900?IncVat=1&pdg=pla-301834897630:kwd-301834897630:cmp-757438067:adg-44804851896:crv-207912323492:pid-85-5900:dev-c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsZTTyuKG3wIVluJ3Ch12mgOmEAQYAiABEgLxhvD_BwE

It's cheap as chips but still has temperature control and is fine for occasional use.

I don't know much about solder except to avoid lead-free!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »
Soldering stations are great for bench work on electronics etc.  but for general soldering around the layout I'd suggest an Antex or Weller iron of around 20-25 watts power, with a couple of alternative sized bits including a small 2mm and a larger bit.   My weapon of choice for the last few decades has been a trusty Antex 18 watt job.

Use standard electrician's tin/lead solder with a flux core (not plumber's solder) and avoid the lead-free stuff as it's it's not fun to work with. Have a tub of flux paste available (though you won't usually need it for electrical joints, a tiny amount is good for things like soldering rail to screws or copper strip at board joints etc.).  Use something like a brass or fibreglass cleaning pen to clean the work before you solder.   Have a damp sponge available to clean the tip regularly in between making joints.

Get a decent weighted stand to hold the iron in between joints. Avoid the frustrating cheap lightweight stands which fall over or move all over the place!

Oh, and a solder sucker is a useful tool for when you need to remove solder from a joint!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:35:39 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 08:17:56 PM »
I would give the same advice I have always given @Artisan buy a Weller soldering iron, the best you can afford. I have used them all throughout my career and never been disappointed, I realise they are not cheap but quality comes at a price. Get one with variable temperature settings
As for solder, get yourself flux cored, colophony free solder, there are many varieties.
Some folks prefer the little mesh ball for tipping cleaning but I have always used a proper sponge, well dampened with tap water.

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »
As above either antex or weller, im an antex fan.One tip avoid pvc flex ,silicon rubber is much more flexible,and doesn't  melt so easily  if the hot tip and flex accidentally  make contact

Online PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:59:56 PM »
Antex is the preferred brand for me, but a Weller won't disappoint.

Go for a 25 watt as a good all-rounder - good for general wiring, soldering droppers to track etc, thin etched brass kits. Any flux cored solder should do, don't worry too much at this stage about different types and melting points.

Finally, if you're new to soldering practice - practice - practice on bits of scrap wire and track before getting too ambitious on the layout.

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 09:36:34 PM »
+1 for 25W Antex with silicone lead.  :thumbsup:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Online stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 10:24:14 PM »
I have both an Antex CS and a Weller (similar to the WTCP51 but older).

Both are good. I prefer the Weller (only a little), but the Antex is more portable, as it is a simple mains iron, while the Weller is 24V and has a separate 240V base station.

Both have lasted - I've had the Antex for about 25 years, while the Weller is at least 35 years old (the one my father has is older than me - and I'm 52!).

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here