!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Soldering Iron - What To Buy?  (Read 540 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Soldering Iron - What To Buy?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 08:50:29 AM »
Hi New to N Gauge. Sorry to Jump onto the end of this thread. I've done a lot of soldering in the past with gas and electric soldering irons. Never have I used them for model railways. I'm after a bench with variable control. I want to scratch build make etched brass kits and wiring. Any recommendations for which iron to go for? Thanks in Advance

All I have used for the past 10 years or so is a small 15watt Antex along with Ersin multicore tin/lead solder (not lead free- ugh), + phosphoric acid as flux. The small size of the iron makes it easy to use for both construction and wiring. With a few different sized tips itís all I find I need. Be aware you donít need huge amounts of heat to put etched metal or scratch built rolling stock together, so itís mostly done with a 1mm tip.

Izzy

Offline Chrisn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Soldering Iron - What To Buy?
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 07:51:15 AM »
Thank you for your help

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00