4TC announced in 00 gauge by Kernow/Bachmann

Started by woodbury22uk, June 17, 2016, 11:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbury22uk

Time to get out the shrink ray. Kernow have announced that they have commissioned Bachmann to produce a 4TC unit, which if only it was N gauge would go nicely with a Dapol class 33. And a 4REP.

http://www.mremag.com/index.php/news/951-keronow4tc
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Tank

NeMo

Quote from: woodbury22uk on June 17, 2016, 11:06:40 AM
Time to get out the shrink ray. Kernow have announced that they have commissioned Bachmann to produce a 4TC unit, which if only it was N gauge would go nicely with a Dapol class 33. And a 4REP.

Couldn't agree more.

Out of curiosity, what sort of work did 4TCs do on their own with 33s as opposed to working with 4REPs? I know about the Weymouth boat train, but anything else? Would they work with 73s or 74s?

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Claude Dreyfus

I have seen photos of 4TC sets on Portsmouth to Reading services, as well as Waterloo to Salisbury (not sure if they were just used as conventional loco hauled coaches on the latter, as opposed to push pull.). I have also seen pictures with 73s, but not 74s (although I suspect 74s may well have been used on them, even if not as a push-pull). I seem to recall seeing pictures of class 50s on TC sets as well.

Claude Dreyfus

Western Exile

I have a photo of a pair of 4TCs being pushed through Cholsey by a 33/1 towards Reading. No idea where it came from or where it was going to though.
(not Dr.) Al

Karhedron

Unfortunately, given that nothing else Kernow has commissioned has come down to N Gauge, I am not holding my breath. :(

I would be up for a D600, O2 and possibly even a Beattie Well Tank if they could be persuaded to put them through the shrinking machine.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Bob G

They used to do Reading -Portsmouth and Reading -Basingstoke on Sundays for some reason. Always a 33/1 on this service. Both were a Sunday's only service. I used to think these were much better than a thumper but now my rose tinted spectacles long for the diesel dust on the thumpers seats, and the thud of the EE engine.

Adam1701D

I wouldn't be surprised if Bachmann have quietly done the CAD for a 2mm version off their own backs. A TC would be a far better seller than the CEP, IMHO.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Bob G

A lot depends on who owns the intellectual property of the moulds. if it is Kernow then nothing will happen unless there is huge profit in the trailer EMU (which given the discounts on the 2H Thumper sold off via Rails and Hattons I very much doubt). [should have done a cost conscious 3H after all, as everyone wanted a 3H unit, and didn't need the 190 extra parts added that raised the price] (mild sarcasm as the owner of two 2H units).

if it is like the NGS and the moulds become Bachmann's after a few years, then all you need is to put motor bogies under the end motor saloon seconds (DTSSs in the 4-TC) and swap the first corridor for what is pretty close to an RU coach and you have a 4-REP.

Either way I have ordered a 4-TC to go with my growing OO SR EMU and DEMU fleet (Thank you Hornby, Bachmann and Kernow, for when my eyesight fails me for N gauge modelling).
Bring on the 117 and I can build a model of Weymouth. Oh , that's on the way too. OK then.

Best
Bob

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%