!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kanjiyama - Japanese Terminus Layout  (Read 16510 times)

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
Kanjiyama - Japanese Terminus Layout
« on: April 27, 2011, 10:53:44 pm »
I mentioned a little while ago that I have an N gauge terminus layout under construction. For the last couple of months it has been away at a friend's house for the wiring...he is an expert at this, whereas I can just about wire a plug! Now it is fully wired up, I have taken delivery so the real fun can begin; the scenery.

Scenery is still being planned, however the station building, with platforms, is in place and I am currently going about the serious business of playing trains to bed it in, as well as flush out any issues before the ballast goes down in a couple of weeks time.

It will be set in a small town in central Honshu...deep in JR Eastern territory, and depicts a terminus junction between the 'main line' (JR Eastern operated) and a third sector branch. Unusually for the more central areas of Japan, this is a diesel line, almost exclusively operated by DMUs, with a small freight transfer between the lines.

The intention is for it to be an exhibition layout, with the aim to be more or less complete by next February. I have, as yet, to devise a suitable name.

Progress will be covered over the next few months, however to start with here are a few pictures. As can be seen, anything goes as far as operations at present...hence the Southern Turbostar, class 60, NS Koplopper, along with the more usual KiHa 110s... :o

An overall view of the station area...

A general view

Example of some rather neat wiring!

The control panel

Station, with an unsual visitor!

Fiddle yard area with stabling sidings.

Class 60 on an engineers train in the stabling sidings...

A Shark brakevan. This is one of the N gauge society kits, along with the ballast hoppers accompanying it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:27:19 pm by Claude Dreyfus »

Offline tadpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
Re: Japanese Terminus Layout
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:32:56 am »
I love the Koploper EMU
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 01:05:11 pm »
I love the Koploper EMU

The Minitrix model is a beautiful example. I especially like the fact it will run either from the track, or from overhead wires; should the fancy take you... Indeed, there are a couple of us with NS trains, which operate this way, and consideration is being given to a small Dutch layout where power is provided from the OHC.

Offline haeckmaen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19833
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 07:56:14 pm »
That layout looks a solid construction, including the control panel. I'll have to work out something similar since all those amassments of shifters such as I'm currently using are not quite a fun to operate on a larger layout.

Indeed, there are a couple of us with NS trains, which operate this way, and consideration is being given to a small Dutch layout where power is provided from the OHC.

I heard of problems with electric contacts and data transmission when operating OHC on DCC layouts, concluding this should be avoided.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 01:17:03 pm »
Thats looking lovely,  and it'll be great to be able to mix Kiha's with some electric stock.  Are you going to fit overhead catenary towers?
(I'm also envious of your wonderfully neat electrical work!.. I think I'm going to really be careful as I build my new layout and use these pictures to inspire me!)

Cheers

Graham

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:15:01 pm »
Thats looking lovely,  and it'll be great to be able to mix Kiha's with some electric stock.  Are you going to fit overhead catenary towers?
(I'm also envious of your wonderfully neat electrical work!.. I think I'm going to really be careful as I build my new layout and use these pictures to inspire me!)

Thanks!

Currently the EMUs are running as part of my 'Anything goes' testing. Once complete it will be a diesel-only branch...our club layout has the catenery (Kato) for running the electric units.

More progress today, with the start of the scenery. Currently this has not been fixed down as yet, and is still being played with in terms of height.

The area to the right of the last picture will be the town...this rather flat area will be graded to give more interest.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:16:59 pm by Claude Dreyfus »

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 06:17:02 pm »
Still plugging away...a lack of computer has led to me being unable to upload photos for the last couple of months.

More progress today, including more or less completing the station - there are still a couple of bits to do regarding the platform canopies, such as adding transfers, seats and other paraphernalia. More work has also gone on the ballasting, with a little extra 'greenery' (actually more 'yellowery', as the layout is set in summer and most of the grass has dried out).

I have also made a start on the superstructure of the scenery behind the station. Originally this was to be entirely of foam construction, however it is a bugger to sculpt, and makes quite a mess, so the more fiddly areas will be foamboard construction, with the insulation foam being used for the chunkier sections. I have a number of buildings, however as a starter we can see a few Tomytec offerings in more or less their situations.

The Kato station building does benefit from a little attention from a paintbrush and some scatter...

The station area is a little more advanced from the previous picture...but not much!

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 06:41:48 pm »
I recall seeing some of this elsewhere  ;)  nice to see it is still progressing, and I love your idea of staggering those houses, definitely logged that for future use  :thumbsup:

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 09:53:33 pm »
Your layout id looking great so looking forward to future developments. :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 10:48:48 pm »
Work is still progressing slowly but surely here, with the addition of a couple more buildings for the town centre. So far I have painted roofs, as well as add some details to gardens. A Kato Toyota Crown saw a lick of paint, and is now fixed to the back yard of one of the buildings. Mainly this area will be commercial, with a few shops, restaurants and a building doubling up as a small Ryokan (the one immediately to the right of the station building on ground level). I have also given some of the buildings a coat of 'matt-cote' to take away the glossy shine of some of the plastic.

I really have to tidy that shed!

Offline Fratton

• N Gauge Society Number: 23974
  • 2mm Association Number: 4766
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 03:47:48 am »

I really have to tidy that shed!

I have that same problem, tidied mine last week looks just the same chaos again now,,,,
Charlie.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 08:17:02 am »
It's coming along really well, Claude. :thumbsup:

Offline Dock Shunter

• Trade Count: (+10)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 09:25:13 am »
Progressing well Claude..... :thumbsup:
I like the way the town center is developing......... :thumbsup:

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 08:42:56 pm »
Town Centre is looking great! Where did you get the Southern Turbostar?
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 09:39:07 pm »
Your layout is looking great Claude, have to hand it to the Japanese layouts as they always look bright and cheerful, are you going to plant some of those beautiful blossom trees that I have seen on Japanese layouts over here in Oz ?.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything