price rises - how long can this be sustainable

Started by guest311, April 23, 2016, 12:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agrippa

One thing for sure, prices won't go down, all the harrumphing
about Chinese factories is a waste of time. If you want to
model British railways you'll have to cough up.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

austinbob

Quote from: Agrippa on April 25, 2016, 09:34:36 AM
One thing for sure, prices won't go down, all the harrumphing
about Chinese factories is a waste of time. If you want to
model British railways you'll have to cough up.
That's what I do every time I see the latest prices!!!
:)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Yet_Another

There is, I suspect, a large number of quiet people, who may or may not be on any forum, who have deep pockets, and £30 per coach is not really significant.

I've been into G scale for over ten years, and I could pay up to £250-£300 for one RhB coach, when I was buying such things. And in that scale, there is a vast silent majority that just buys what it wants, while a vociferous minority complains about the price of everything.

Even if it shrinks and becomes more niche, there will always be people who will pay the asking price.

YMMV.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

red_death

I think that we really need to put to bed the myth that the hobby is dying out or contracting. All the empirical evidence suggests that isn't true:
- more products being produced than ever (why would manufacturers produce things if they don't stand a reasonable chance of selling them)
- more exhibitions than ever (I would argue too many but that is a different matter!)
- product quality, details and features have increased dramatically
- the market is still supporting 4 mainstream modelling mags (at a time when print is struggling!)
- numbers of members of the NGS is at historic highs over the past few years

I'm under no illusion that the market has changed (and not always for the better) but I see no real evidence that the market is dying.

Cheers, Mike

Buzzard

ScottyStitch

There is also the myth that because something is becoming more expensive, we are being ripped off. That just doesn't appear to be the case.

Just because you can't afford it, or can't justify it, doesn't mean it's overpriced.

guest311

perhaps a way to compare prices is, rather than the £.s.d cost of the item, consider how long you need to work for to earn the money to pay for it.

certainly when you look back over the years, it is interesting to see how this equates.

for instance, back in the 60s a series one airfix kit was 2/-, or 10p.
now it's £4.99, or about 50 times the cost.

have your wages gone up 50 times since then ?

in those days I was on about £30 a month, when I retired I was on about £1,700 a month, what's that, about 56 times, so in theory that kit still costs the same  ???

OK where did I go wrong, or is that right  :hmmm:

austinbob

Quote from: ScottyStitch on April 25, 2016, 03:08:27 PM
There is also the myth that because something is becoming more expensive, we are being ripped off. That just doesn't appear to be the case.

Just because you can't afford it, or can't justify it, doesn't mean it's overpriced.
You're right of course but (grinding axe again) whatever price it is it should work properly!!!
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

paulprice

I think its just something we have to put up with, though I must admit new locomotive prices make me wince when I'm allowed to visit a model shop

Snowwolflair

If you want it you will afford it, wine, women, song, golf, model railways.

Doesn't mean you pay full price all the time.  With a bit of patience a sale will come round and as four in five first time N buyers give up and sell, EBay will always be well stocked.

I rarely buy new without a discount and I have a list of what I want/need and a price I'm prepared to pay and I wait.

ScottyStitch

Quote from: Snowwolflair on April 25, 2016, 04:20:36 PM
If you want it you will afford it, wine, women, song, golf, model railways.

Doesn't mean you pay full price all the time.  With a bit of patience a sale will come round and as four in five first time N buyers give up and sell, EBay will always be well stocked.

I rarely buy new without a discount and I have a list of what I want/need and a price I'm prepared to pay and I wait.

Absolutely, and often when this 'discussion' comes round (and round...... and round) the price quoted in the discussion is RRP. How many of vendors actually charge RRP? I'd be interested to see how many purchasers pay RRP.

Les1952

Quote from: railsquid on April 25, 2016, 01:36:37 AM
Out of curiosity which Japanese tram is costing you £100?  :hmmm:

[/quote]

Modemo Tokyo cars.

Les

Les1952

Quote from: class37025 on April 25, 2016, 03:23:20 PM
perhaps a way to compare prices is, rather than the £.s.d cost of the item, consider how long you need to work for to earn the money to pay for it.

certainly when you look back over the years, it is interesting to see how this equates.

for instance, back in the 60s a series one airfix kit was 2/-, or 10p.
now it's £4.99, or about 50 times the cost.

have your wages gone up 50 times since then ?

in those days I was on about £30 a month, when I retired I was on about £1,700 a month, what's that, about 56 times, so in theory that kit still costs the same  ???

OK where did I go wrong, or is that right  :hmmm:

You didn't.

I started teaching in 1973 on £79 a month after offtakes, and retired on about £2800 a month after offtakes.  However I had a few promotions in that time but a teacher starting at the same point as I did would be on about £1500 a month after offtakes, I think.  A little less than 50X as much.

My pension doesn't go as far as I'd like it to, but I've spent steadily on modelling for over 50 years and recycled the cash when changing scales.  I afforded the change to DCC by selling stock that didn't fit the period any more.  The track for my next N-gauge layout will come from selling Furtwangen Ost.

The ones I feel more sorry for are the youngsters.  However this hobby is still cheaper than drinking yourself stupid each week or smoking 50 a day (both of which one grandfather did), and think how many trains you can buy for the price of a season ticket to a Premier League football club.

Les

JayM481

Quote from: Arrachogaidh on April 25, 2016, 04:28:41 PM
Can I suggest that the whingers take a look at the price of new Fleischmann locomotives and compare against similar new Dapol and Farish.

You will find UK outline is cheaper than that produced for our Continental friends.

Last Flieschmann loco I looked at came out at over £180.
But contrast that with US outline. I just bought a sound-equipped Atlas switcher for $300 Canadian (about £140). I know, economies of scale make a huge difference when comparing US to UK or Continental.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Les1952 on April 25, 2016, 06:25:59 PM
think how many trains you can buy for the price of a season ticket to a Premier League football club.

Les

Not that Preston are in the Premier League but, in their case, not even one :-X

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%