Which reliable loco next ?

Started by MalcolmInN, December 13, 2015, 10:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Not sure how to phrase this question !
One sees so many horror stories about troubles with this or that batch from this or that manufacturer, but considering that on forums peeps tend to post about problems and the silent majority being happily silent (understandably) one wonders how best to proceed !

I have 3 (simple? 0-6-0) locos, two 4F and a J39 which run well enough but feel the need for /some retail therapy/ a more comprehensive stable such as a express passenger or flagship loco from the steam era.
I should maybe say that I have a tendency to view ex-LMS or ex-LNER with favour, but shhhhhh, I dont want to exclude other peoples fancy ( nor that of SWMBO who would like an ex-GWR type ). Probably loco body powered not tender driven. Probably currently available from the usual retailers, not an ebay watch.

So Rule1 applies - which of you more experienced multi-owners would favour which loco ?

Roy L S

Quote from: MalcolmAL on December 13, 2015, 10:08:23 PM
Not sure how to phrase this question !
One sees so many horror stories about troubles with this or that batch from this or that manufacturer, but considering that on forums peeps tend to post about problems and the silent majority being happily silent (understandably) one wonders how best to proceed !

I have 3 (simple? 0-6-0) locos, two 4F and a J39 which run well enough but feel the need for /some retail therapy/ a more comprehensive stable such as a express passenger or flagship loco from the steam era.
I should maybe say that I have a tendency to view ex-LMS or ex-LNER with favour, but shhhhhh, I dont want to exclude other peoples fancy ( nor that of SWMBO who would like an ex-GWR type ). Probably loco body powered not tender driven. Probably currently available from the usual retailers, not an ebay watch.

So Rule1 applies - which of you more experienced multi-owners would favour which loco ?

Tender Driven I know is not your preference but I have no less than seven Farish B1s (All BR, three renumbered) and they have proved consistently reliable runners with great haulage capacity.

For a model with loco drive, personally I would favour the Farish Duchess if you want a big passenger loco or the BR Standard 5MT if you wanted something with greater utility.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Roy L S on December 13, 2015, 10:21:04 PM
Tender Driven I know is not your preference but I have no less than seven Farish B1s (All BR, three renumbered) and they have proved consistently reliable runners with great haulage capacity.

For a model with loco drive, personally I would favour the Farish Duchess if you want a big passenger loco or the BR Standard 5MT if you wanted something with greater utility.
Thank you Roy, very interesting - B1s added to list !
Yes, sorry, you are right, after trying to keep my question broad I fell into the trap of a prejudice !! So all suggestions welcome cardan or pusher ! , , ,

I do like the idea of a Duchess, that would fit in very well.

EDIT PS is a 5MT a Stanier Black5 ? >>> goes googling >>>
>>>EDIT2 No, it was a Riddles post'48 but similar to the Stanier.

johnlambert

Quote from: Roy L S on December 13, 2015, 10:21:04 PM

I'd go with either of these (I have one of each) as they both run very nicely.

Newportnobby

I agree with Roy. The Farish B1 and Duchess are lovely models.
Another I'd suggest (especially for freight) is the fabulous Farish WD 2-8-0.
Not the Longmoor Military Railway version as, for some reason, there seems to have been a lot of trouble with it despite it presumably sharing the very same chassis :confused2:
If you don't want to 'go large' then the Farish Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 is a little beauty.

Portpatrick

From my own experience and that of close friends I would endorse the above advice.  The Duchess is superb, and I have been very happy with my slightly earlier Farish tender drivers, including B1, Std5, Jubilees and Royal Scot.  And I ran my Std 4 Mogul for over an hour last week on the club layout with none of the wheel locking for which the model has a reputation.   And the Ivatt is indeed a beauty.  How about a Fairburn tank?  Not sure if the Black 5 is currently available but I think it can be pre-ordered (others may know better than me).  And some of these do appear on E Bay.  but I guess you would not want the earlier version of the Black 5, so check the catalogue numbers if buying one.

port perran

The Farish Ivatt 2-6-2T (41XXX) is a great little locomotive if you want to go for a tank engine.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

7P5F

I don`t know what the production runs are of  loco`s but it must run into thousands to make them worthwhile.In fairness,the only ones you hear about are the one that go wrong.The only criticism i have of modern locos is the amount of fragile fine detail on them.While cleaning my Dapol 9f with a soft brush,i managed to knock of the regulator linkage.

Ray.

Geoff

Gone right off all tender driven Loco's so now in future just going to go down the Diesel and Electric route, Rule 1 applies always on my Layout but I have to say the 4F is a great runner.
Geoff

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on December 14, 2015, 11:12:47 AM
The Farish Ivatt 2-6-2T (41XXX) is a great little locomotive if you want to go for a tank engine.

I think that's a Dapol loco, Martin ;)

PLD

Quote from: 7P5F on December 14, 2015, 11:24:01 AM
I don`t know what the production runs are of  loco`s but it must run into thousands to make them worthwhile.
While not officially confirmed, for a standard release, (excluding limited editions, special commissions etc) Dapol is usually 504 of each identity, and Farish around 1000 of each identity. Normally 3 - 5 different identities will be provided in the initial release, and 2 or 3 at a time in later releases, so total for a production run could be anywhere between 1000 and 5000.

MalcolmInN

Ah ! re 41xxx, that's why I have been scratching my head :) !

Thanks for all the interesting information everyone, so far it's beginning to look a bit like a Duchess moving high up the list for Xmas, then one of the others for her birthday in January :)

Thanks NPN for the tip re. the Longmoor set loco, I wonder if I need to be carefull about the Duchess in the Cumbrian set as well ?

Research continues ,,,

port perran

Quote from: newportnobby on December 14, 2015, 12:32:16 PM
Quote from: port perran on December 14, 2015, 11:12:47 AM

I think that's a Dapol loco, Martin ;)

Oops - my mistake !   :dunce:
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

silly moo

The newer Farish locos with loco housed coreless motors are very good, I have a standard class 5, a SR class N and a Merchant Navy,  all ran beautifully from the word go and still do.

jpendle

I've a bunch of diesels and electrics from GF and D that are very reliable, sorry don't do kettles.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations