Model Railway Hobby Costs

Started by Tdm, September 18, 2015, 02:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anorak

Quote from: Tdm on September 25, 2015, 09:46:52 AM
Quote from: triumphdude on September 25, 2015, 03:55:23 AM
Quote from: NeMo on September 19, 2015, 10:01:49 AM

But they're not. British outline N-gauge locos are nearer the £100 mark ($216 Australian) and increasingly over that price.

If British N-gauge locos were $100 Australian, i.e., £46, then we wouldn't be having this discussion! We'd all be at the loco train shop buying new toys!

Cheers, NeMo

Hi NeMo

I'm new to N-Gauge and just outside of Melbourne Australia, by local Model shop carries a good range of stock, but not everything I need with 25% possibly N-Gauge. I bought a Dapol Papyrus 12 months ago it cost me A$225, they are now stopped selling Dapol loco's but equivelant Farrish Loco's are aroung it for A$350-A$400 mark. I cannot wait for my UK trip I'm chomping at the bit to get in to Hattons. A$400 is approx 180 quid for a Loco, I am looking for a N-Gauge Thomas model for my layout when the grandkids come around, but have not seen one in N I might have to buy a Fowler or Jinty 0-6-0 and repaint it.

As Australia is not in the EEC, if you take your Passport & return flight details into Hattons you will be able to fill in a "Global Refund Form" that will enable you to get all the VAT back about a month later.

Of course if you order on-line and get Hattons to send it to you Direct - that will be VAT free in the first place. I should imagine that could make quite a bit of diffrence to the cost of your purposes.

For the discerning Australian it works out cheaper to order online from Hattons, I can confirm you do not pay VAT, at checkout it does show a VAT charge but it is automatically generated because the checkout does not have an address set.  The final confirmation of order will show the correct charge.  Admittedly the last time I ordered the add to cart button didn't do anything, but I found a way to get a Dapool BR blue HST.  Also use DHL or Royal Mail first class for shipping.

To get an idea of the average shop here it is 70% HO/OO, of which it is mostly Hornby and the non-Hornby is dominated by US prototype.  This means UK N gauge is usually a shelf in a modest glass cabinet. 

Back to the original topic I skimmed though, realistically cars are astronomical money sinks, cost a fortune in time and energy to build and cost an even bigger fortune to maintain, it is one of the most uneconomical modes of transport, but its still better than a horse since a car never gets tired or leaves surprises behind for inattentive foot traffic.  I figure $4000 a year is not that much for the hobby too, I know people who spend that much just on coffee in a year.   Then again I know people who could drop $15000 in alcohol a year.

D1042 Western Princess

Please keep reading as this does eventually get 'on topic' but I feel a little 'scene setting' is called for.
Many outside the UK might not know of Bonfire Night so, for them, a short explanation. Sorry to those who know already. If you do please ignore the next paragraph.
Basically a man, who today would be called a 'terrorist', tried to blow up the British parliament 410 years ago (1605) which would have resulted in the killing not only the leading parliamentarians of that day but the King, nobles and many other people. He was not acting alone but Guy Fawkes is the most well known member. The 'Gunpowder Plot', as it was called, failed when the plotters were betrayed but this act is remembered in the UK on 5th November every year (the date of the attempt) with bonfires and fireworks, some say to celebrate the fact it failed, others to represent the building burning (the bonfire) and sparks shooting into the sky (the fireworks) had it succeeded, depending on your 'side' in the matter! Either way it can be a great, fun, night (if done correctly).

And now to the connection with model railway costs.
Today, while out shopping, I picked up a leaflet about the costs of fireworks and thought I'd compare them with (approximate costs) of model railway equipment.
For example I could by a box of 14 (small) fireworks for the cost of one wagon kit (£6), a box of 17 (large) fireworks for the cost of one coach (£20) or a box of 28 (mixed size) fireworks for the cost of two coaches (£45).
Moving into the larger 'family sized' boxes a 'bumper box' of fireworks costs about the same as a locomotive (£80 - £100).
The point being, of course, that the fireworks last just one night but, used with care, the rolling stock might last many years.

Compared to the costs of the fireworks the models are really cheap and I know where I'd sooner spend my £100. Where did I leave my Hatton's catalogue?

But for those having the fireworks instead I wish you all a happy and safe evening.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Graham Walters

Strange how you should bring this up, my kids have never had a bonfire and fireworks at home, we always took them to organised displays because it represents better value, they even at a tender age could never understand why people would want to buy something, and then destroy it !

I have this sort of discussion with mates at work who spend their disposable income by going out and drinking copious amounts of beer, they too complain about the price of it, mainly because I think they have nothing to show for the £30 they spent the night before, except a sore head.

At least with our hobby you have something to show for it when your wallet is empty.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Chris Morris

Have you seen the list price for Bachmann's new OO autocoach - £68.95!!! I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Graham Walters

Quote from: Chris m on October 22, 2015, 11:04:58 AM
Have you seen the list price for Bachmann's new OO autocoach - £68.95!!! I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come.

My feelings on this are. that lower production costs in China are not being passed on to the consumer, that being said. costs in China are rising as the workers want the wages to buy the stuff they are making.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

JasonBz

It is expensive, but I don't think its is bad value at all for a quality model - Though I hope the bell rings :D

As just one of these and a 14xx (or 64xx) makes a whole train I do suspect Bachmann have priced it higher than a normal coach would be.

paulprice

Quote from: JasonBz on October 22, 2015, 11:49:24 AM
It is expensive, but I don't think its is bad value at all for a quality model - Though I hope the bell rings :D

As just one of these and a 14xx (or 64xx) makes a whole train I do suspect Bachmann have priced it higher than a normal coach would be.
It looks like a relay well detailed model,

Tdm

Whilst on the subject of money - the other day my 40 year car radio/cassette player in my Stag gave up the ghost, and I only kept my old cassette tape collection for use in the car.

I decided I would replace it with a more modern car stereo system into which I could plug my MP3 player as it is on that I keep copies of most of my music, and I can now throw away the cassettes as I already have copies of the ones I like on CD and the MP3 player.

After taking measurements I asked in our local TV/Radio/Phone/etc electrical shop if they had just a simple basic model that would fit in the car. I came away with an AEG Stereo Car Radio with USB & Card Reader (model AR 4027 USB/CR) which cost me €49.90 (aprox £36 Sterling) and am currently making an adaptor plate so that it will fit in Stag's dash as the existing one is unique to the Blaupunct model it used to house.

Out of curiosity is the above model sold in the U.K., and if it is how much does it cost?
When I looked at places like Argos a similar type of device in the U.K. seemed a lot more expensive.

railsquid

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on October 22, 2015, 10:38:42 AM
Moving into the larger 'family sized' boxes a 'bumper box' of fireworks costs about the same as a locomotive (£80 - £100).
The point being, of course, that the fireworks last just one night but, used with care, the rolling stock might last many years.

Compared to the costs of the fireworks the models are really cheap and I know where I'd sooner spend my £100. Where did I leave my Hatton's catalogue?
And if the worst comes to the worst you can always sell the locomotive or whatever. That's what I tell myself each time I buy something.  :D

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: JasonBz on October 22, 2015, 11:49:24 AM

Most times yes, but on busy services such as seaside lines in summer, or even commuter routes, it was not unknown for a tank engine to be sandwiched between two autocoaches.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

paulprice

I think my expenses might be going up soon, as I have ben thinking about a new layout, a GWR branch line to finally use some of the stock I have been hording, sorry collectiong over the years.

Just what the world need another GWR branch line  :'(

steve836

Quote from: paulprice on October 23, 2015, 09:49:07 AM
I think my expenses might be going up soon, as I have ben thinking about a new layout, a GWR branch line to finally use some of the stock I have been hording, sorry collectiong over the years.

Not my cup of tea but if it's what you like Go for it.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

paulprice

Quote from: steve836 on October 23, 2015, 09:55:11 AM
Quote from: paulprice on October 23, 2015, 09:49:07 AM

Not my cup of tea but if it's what you like Go for it.

But I'm supposed to be an LMS fan, just looking at rough prices I'm looking at £50 for points alone

Jonner

Tdm

The AR4027 is available from Conrad-Electronic.co.uk for £22.95 + £6.99 for delivery but that's an online price and you have to set up an account with them.

When I searched Ebay similar device's from an UK stockist were showing a price of £11.68 with free delivery however they were unbranded and the above prices will reflect the savings over running a retail outlet. I think for this reason independent electrical shops seem to be scarce  with the few that remain only selling top brands whilst also providing installation services to gain a worthwhile profit.

Back in the 1980,s/90's these type of products use to cost a small fortune. I don't think in years to come the same will be said about model railway's though as I'm sure they are far more a specialized industry unfortunately.

John

steve836

Quote from: paulprice on October 23, 2015, 10:14:21 AM
[

But I'm supposed to be an LMS fan, just looking at rough prices I'm looking at £50 for points alone

Couldn't you do an LMS branch on the border of GWR territory then?
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%