Model Railway Hobby Costs

Started by Tdm, September 18, 2015, 02:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve836

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on September 22, 2015, 09:47:48 AM
Quote from: MikeDunn on September 22, 2015, 09:31:29 AM
Quote from: steve836 on September 22, 2015, 09:27:22 AM
LMS & LNER are great but don't touch anything else! You should get enough on fleabay from that Western rubbish to buy some decent locos!! :P
Can we limit LMS to Princess Elizabeth only  ::)  Otherwise I fully agree  :thumbsup:

Would that be the same "Princess Elizabeth" Class which was designed by William Stanier, a man who learned his trade in SWINDON?

Yes he went there to learn how not to build locos :P
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Tdm

Quote from: Graham Walters on September 21, 2015, 11:32:48 PM
I have three vices, a car, Whisky and model railways.

The car is a Ferrari Dino, a family heirloom, which passes to the youngest son for some strange reason, I can't afford to run it, I can't sell it, and insuring it even for a couple of weeks when that big orange ball may make an appearance is too expensive on a Postmans wages. So its cost are low, a bit of a wash and wax two three times a year, and I give it a run around the farmyard on my birthday.

Being a Classic Car enthusiast I would like to see a picture of your Dino as they were a lovely looking model and the last one I saw was here in Tenerife at a Classic Car Show.

After I retired as an I.T. Manager I took on a retirement job as a Rural Postman between 1999 and 2004, and in those days there was a "2nd Delivery" round which you could do either walking, on a Bike, or in your own car, and I used my Triumph Stag when it was my turn to do second delivery which raised a few eyebrows from the mail recipients I delivered to.!

Like you I too like Whisky - either Grouse and Soda or Dry Ginger, or in the case of a single Malt - Isle of Jura.

Graham Walters

Quote from: Tdm on September 22, 2015, 10:02:37 AM
Quote from: Graham Walters on September 21, 2015, 11:32:48 PM
I have three vices, a car, Whisky and model railways.

The car is a Ferrari Dino, a family heirloom, which passes to the youngest son for some strange reason, I can't afford to run it, I can't sell it, and insuring it even for a couple of weeks when that big orange ball may make an appearance is too expensive on a Postmans wages. So its cost are low, a bit of a wash and wax two three times a year, and I give it a run around the farmyard on my birthday.

Being a Classic Car enthusiast I would like to see a picture of your Dino as they were a lovely looking model and the last one I saw was here in Tenerife at a Classic Car Show.

After I retired as an I.T. Manager I took on a retirement job as a Rural Postman between 1999 and 2004, and in those days there was a "2nd Delivery" round which you could do either walking, on a Bike, or in your own car, and I used my Triumph Stag when it was my turn to do second delivery which raised a few eyebrows from the mail recipients I delivered to.!

Like you I too like Whisky - either Grouse and Soda or Dry Ginger, or in the case of a single Malt - Isle of Jura.

I'll try and dig some pics out, I haven't got any digital wise, so it may take me a while.
The Dino I have is all Ferrari, a lot of them that were made had Maserati engines will a Ferrari cover, I have checked the engine no against Ferrari records and it's genuine. Mine is also yellow, the true Ferarri yellow, again most think Ferraris should be red, but Dino's colour choice for his was yellow.

Grouse is a blended whisky, made from the ends of barrels from a lot of the small distillery's and from their own, they actually use caramel to get a consistent colour in the blend.
I get a fir bit of mine from the Blannoch distillery, the southern most in Scotland, they do a 16yr old with the fats still in it, it's a lovely tipple.
Jura is a good malt, but can be a pit too peaty for me.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Tdm

Quote from: Graham Walters on September 22, 2015, 10:30:58 AM
I'll try and dig some pics out, I haven't got any digital wise, so it may take me a while.
The Dino I have is all Ferrari, a lot of them that were made had Maserati engines will a Ferrari cover, I have checked the engine no against Ferrari records and it's genuine. Mine is also yellow, the true Ferarri yellow, again most think Ferraris should be red, but Dino's colour choice for his was yellow.

Does it look like this?

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: steve836 on September 22, 2015, 10:00:32 AM
LMS & LNER are great but don't touch anything else! You should get enough on fleabay from that Western rubbish to buy some decent locos!! :P
Can we limit LMS to Princess Elizabeth only  ::)  Otherwise I fully agree  :thumbsup:

Would that be the same "Princess Elizabeth" Class which was designed by William Stanier, a man who learned his trade in SWINDON?

No Comment..... EXCEPT  :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

:)
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Chris Morris

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on September 22, 2015, 06:02:16 PM

LNER locos - weren't they the ones that kept breaking their middle big ends until GWR methods of construction were introduced after nationalisation?
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Chris m on September 22, 2015, 10:40:57 PM
Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on September 22, 2015, 06:02:16 PM

LNER locos - weren't they the ones that kept breaking their middle big ends until GWR methods of construction were introduced after nationalisation?

Correct Chris, and LMS were the ones who needed a GWR trained man to show them how to build a decent engine.
Stanier's name is still regarded as one down from Quisling in some houses in Swindon and, only a few years ago, I made the mistake of daring to mention the 'S word' in the home of a former GWR man. I was asked to leave.
The fact that the GWR man was FW Hawksworth probably didn't help!  :-[
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Graham Walters

Quote from: Tdm on September 22, 2015, 10:42:13 AM
Quote from: Graham Walters on September 22, 2015, 10:30:58 AM

Does it look like this?

That'll be the one. although mine looks a bit duller after spending a lot of it's life under dust covers
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Graham Walters

Getting back to costs, tonight I have just come back from a club meeting where I have had to put preliminary costs to the committee for the proposed exhibition N gauge layout.
Before I gave them the figures I warned them that these were estimates, and that they were more likely to rise than fall.

A few whistles went around the room when the broken down costs came to a total of £1500, and that is without taking scenery into account.

The biggest expense is of course the rolling stock, closely followed by all the DCC gear that will be needed.
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Ben A

Hi Graham,

That's interesting.  Our club has a pretty diverse mix of interests, though being an NGS area group we at least all model the same scale.

So when we build a layout, while the club springs for wood and track, we all tend to pitch in with scenic odds and ends, and depending on the area/era depicted different members will contribute complete (usually appropriate) trains to run - certainly the club never buys any rolling stock to my knowledge.

What happens to your club's rolling stock down the line? Is it kept in a secure location, or loaned out to members?

cheers

Ben A.

Graham Walters

Quote from: Ben A on September 23, 2015, 10:45:50 PM

Hi Graham,

That's interesting.  Our club has a pretty diverse mix of interests, though being an NGS area group we at least all model the same scale.

So when we build a layout, while the club springs for wood and track, we all tend to pitch in with scenic odds and ends, and depending on the area/era depicted different members will contribute complete (usually appropriate) trains to run - certainly the club never buys any rolling stock to my knowledge.

What happens to your club's rolling stock down the line? Is it kept in a secure location, or loaned out to members?

cheers

Ben A.

It's very rare that the club actually buys any rolling stock, but an exception has to be made in this instance because the layout is being planned for DCC, and as far as I know I am the only one with any N gauge DCC stock.  My job means that I am only available 1 weekend out of six, and I am reluctant ( naturally) to let my stock out of my sight, so the club will need to buy stock.

The club runs a very healthy second hand market for stock by buying up layouts, stock in all gauges and scenics, so the stock would be sold off at our annual show.

I'm hoping that a lot of the scenics will be scratch built, but so far I am the only one who has shown any enthusiasm for this route, myself I feel that a club layout should show people what the club is capable of building, rather than what it is capable of buying.
Test Valley Models

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

triumphdude

Quote from: NeMo on September 19, 2015, 10:01:49 AM
Quote from: Webbo on September 19, 2015, 09:34:16 AM
Say the locos are worth $100 each to buy new

But they're not. British outline N-gauge locos are nearer the £100 mark ($216 Australian) and increasingly over that price.

If British N-gauge locos were $100 Australian, i.e., £46, then we wouldn't be having this discussion! We'd all be at the loco train shop buying new toys!

Cheers, NeMo

Hi NeMo

I'm new to N-Gauge and just outside of Melbourne Australia, by local Model shop carries a good range of stock, but not everything I need with 25% possibly N-Gauge. I bought a Dapol Papyrus 12 months ago it cost me A$225, they are now stopped selling Dapol loco's but equivelant Farrish Loco's are aroung it for A$350-A$400 mark. I cannot wait for my UK trip I'm chomping at the bit to get in to Hattons. A$400 is approx 180 quid for a Loco, I am looking for a N-Gauge Thomas model for my layout when the grandkids come around, but have not seen one in N I might have to buy a Fowler or Jinty 0-6-0 and repaint it.
The Titanic was built by professionals, but the ark was built by an amateur.

Sprintex

Tomix are the only company that sell Thomas stuff in N gauge :thumbsup:

Paul

railsquid

Quote from: Sprintex on September 25, 2015, 05:19:26 AM
Tomix are the only company that sell Thomas stuff in N gauge :thumbsup:

Paul

And it's out of production so only available second-hand. Goes for reasonable prices in Japan but I hear tales of extortionate sums demanded overseas.

Tdm

Quote from: triumphdude on September 25, 2015, 03:55:23 AM
Quote from: NeMo on September 19, 2015, 10:01:49 AM
Quote from: Webbo on September 19, 2015, 09:34:16 AM
Say the locos are worth $100 each to buy new

But they're not. British outline N-gauge locos are nearer the £100 mark ($216 Australian) and increasingly over that price.

If British N-gauge locos were $100 Australian, i.e., £46, then we wouldn't be having this discussion! We'd all be at the loco train shop buying new toys!

Cheers, NeMo

Hi NeMo

I'm new to N-Gauge and just outside of Melbourne Australia, by local Model shop carries a good range of stock, but not everything I need with 25% possibly N-Gauge. I bought a Dapol Papyrus 12 months ago it cost me A$225, they are now stopped selling Dapol loco's but equivelant Farrish Loco's are aroung it for A$350-A$400 mark. I cannot wait for my UK trip I'm chomping at the bit to get in to Hattons. A$400 is approx 180 quid for a Loco, I am looking for a N-Gauge Thomas model for my layout when the grandkids come around, but have not seen one in N I might have to buy a Fowler or Jinty 0-6-0 and repaint it.

As Australia is not in the EEC, if you take your Passport & return flight details into Hattons you will be able to fill in a "Global Refund Form" that will enable you to get all the VAT back about a month later.

Of course if you order on-line and get Hattons to send it to you Direct - that will be VAT free in the first place. I should imagine that could make quite a bit of diffrence to the cost of your purposes.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%