Fire Precaution!! Have You Checked Your Fridge Lately?

Started by Mr Sprue, September 13, 2015, 10:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

Believe it or not there is at least on average one fridge freezer fire a week and that statistic is in London alone!  Like most households we have a frost free fridge freezer. Every year I make a point of removing the lower grill and clean the condenser which always over time gathers a lot of fluff.

Today I couldn't help noticing that the cooling fan seemed to running a lot more than normal, so I removed the lower grill for a quick inspection and this is what I discovered....

And this what the condenser should look like (after its hoovering!)

Might be worth checking yours!

Trainfish

John

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Sprintex

Not a Beko is it? Wasn't there a spate of fires involving their fridge-freezers a while back?  :worried:

Paul

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Sprintex on September 13, 2015, 10:53:12 PM
Not a Beko is it? Wasn't there a spate of fires involving their fridge-freezers a while back?  :worried:

No way I would never buy a Beko, I think like most fridge freezers today they use alcohol instead of refrigerant, so no wonder they can go up in flames!

Quote from: Trainfish on September 13, 2015, 10:44:16 PM
And as a bonus it should be more efficient now  :thumbsup:

You bet it will....that condenser will be cooling the refrigerant a lot more easier now!  :D

Smokebox

Maybe 20 years ago or more, got up one morning, made a pot of tea, went to get the milk out of the fridge and the door wouldn't open.  Had to peel the magnetic strip back and pull hard on the door.  Once open, it was pretty obvious what the problem was as everything was smoke damaged.  The thermostat had packed up and burnt the plastic housing and fridge lining causing a vacuum as it used all the air up.

Annoyingly, the fridge was still working but unusable.  A lucky escape from a potentially serious fire in the night.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%