Exhibitions

Started by texhorse, August 23, 2015, 08:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Komata

WP

Thank you for your reply.

Re: 'I suppose I have been a rail enthusiast/professional railwayman for too many years to find it 'acceptable' to my MIND'

You too?  Been there, got the T-shirt (and the redundancy when the company changed owners and shrank), so I am familiar with your sentiments.   I agree with the sentiments about running signals etc. together with incorrect sequences and /or consists, no tail-lamps etc. etc. etc., and for a long while had a real problem with the way that these things were happening on layouts; the things that professional railwaymen have to work with on a daily basis.  The things that were happening on the layouts I saw at exhibitions SIMPLY WEREN'T RIGHT and how dare they not be!!!!!!!! 'Amateurs'!!!  As I said, I am familiar with the situations / emotions.

I eventually 'got over it' by realising that (1) Not everyone was a railway 'professional'; that (2) the exhibitors / modellers were doing the best they could; (3) it wasn't my place to 'rain on their parade' by doing an 'Oscar the Grouch' impression; (4) I could have a lot more enjoyment by treating what I was seeing as 'entertainment'(which I had paid for BTW); (5) I might even learn something that I could use myself on any layout/s I might build; (6) it was actually very tiring 'picking nits' when I could be doing something far more constructive such as actually APPRECIATING what I was being shown (aka 'Stand easy'; to use a military phrase).

Doing-so made life immensely easier and I could (and did) take off my 'railway professional's' hat and simply 'enjoy the trains' and appreciate the effort that had gone into what I was seeing.  Removing the 'hat' (actually a cap BTW), made it so much nicer, and yes, i did learn a lot (and still do, even though i am now an exhibitor myself).

Not sure if it helps, but posted for what it may be worth (if only for its 'entertainment' value).
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

camelback

I understand what Andy is saying and I'm  in his corner. I've built two exhibition layouts, they were far from perfect both american (nuff said) the first one was a rush affair to get it ready. The kids loved it parents liked it and we were thanked by one lady for having it at a level that her children didn't need to stand on chairs to see it. The big hit was a Union Pacific PA1 A+B unit with a rake of yellow coaches. The kids called it the banana train. When I put the big boy on the kids were agog counting wheels. My point is a good layout very well done is a joy to behold, an average layout with out much detail is just as good if it's different.
Sorry I can go on abit.
James.

texhorse

Hi James, it's good to see you on the N GAUGE Forum as well as the N SCALE Forum.  There's a few of us bifocals here!

I started out this thread to stimulate conversation, and it's worked big time.  I still have my same viewpoint which I started with, ie why are layouts at exhibitions and dealers just not exciting me any more.  I have to admit there are some really great points made on here by the guys, and it's certainly making me think I ought to take in another exhibition soon and see if I am any more inspired.  It's likely I'll be going to TINGS next, so at least the layouts I am looking at will all be N Gauge or N Scale.

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

scruff

I think the Bachmann price fixing thing is stifling competition and making the retailers seem very underwhelming because bargain hunting is no fun any more!

Cheers
Mark

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Komata on August 28, 2015, 10:19:58 AM
WP

Thank you for your reply.

Re: 'I suppose I have been a rail enthusiast/professional railwayman for too many years to find it 'acceptable' to my MIND'

You too?  Been there, got the T-shirt (and the redundancy when the company changed owners and shrank), so I am familiar with your sentiments.   I agree with the sentiments about running signals etc. together with incorrect sequences and /or consists, no tail-lamps etc. etc. etc., and for a long while had a real problem with the way that these things were happening on layouts; the things that professional railwaymen have to work with on a daily basis.  The things that were happening on the layouts I saw at exhibitions SIMPLY WEREN'T RIGHT and how dare they not be!!!!!!!! 'Amateurs'!!!  As I said, I am familiar with the situations / emotions.

I eventually 'got over it' by realising that (1) Not everyone was a railway 'professional'; that (2) the exhibitors / modellers were doing the best they could; (3) it wasn't my place to 'rain on their parade' by doing an 'Oscar the Grouch' impression; (4) I could have a lot more enjoyment by treating what I was seeing as 'entertainment'(which I had paid for BTW); (5) I might even learn something that I could use myself on any layout/s I might build; (6) it was actually very tiring 'picking nits' when I could be doing something far more constructive such as actually APPRECIATING what I was being shown (aka 'Stand easy'; to use a military phrase).

Doing-so made life immensely easier and I could (and did) take off my 'railway professional's' hat and simply 'enjoy the trains' and appreciate the effort that had gone into what I was seeing.  Removing the 'hat' (actually a cap BTW), made it so much nicer, and yes, i did learn a lot (and still do, even though i am now an exhibitor myself).

Not sure if it helps, but posted for what it may be worth (if only for its 'entertainment' value).

You summed up my thoughts quite well. However, I feel that all the detailing and 'gimmicks' on layouts these days are wasted by people making avoidable errors.
I don't expect everyone to know BR's Rule Book off by heart (even long service staff don't know that, in 99% of cases, only the bits which apply to their grade), but at least the basics of rail operation would be nice to see at exhibitions once in a while. You can learn most of those things just with a few hours 'train spotting' at a major location, particularly for the most up to date layouts. And that is all I'm asking for.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

PLD

Quote from: scruff on August 28, 2015, 10:39:04 PM
I think the Bachmann price fixing thing is stifling competition and making the retailers seem very underwhelming because bargain hunting is no fun any more!

All this talk of 'Bargain Hunting' at shows is a recent thing... It has never really been the case at shows of any quality.

It seems to have come about with the rise of the big in size, but low in quality shows (such as what Warley has become and the Warners efforts) where no thought is given to balancing the trade and the only stands who can afford to attend are the big RTR merchants who find themselves in a hall with a a dozen other identical looking stands have do option but to cut to the bone to compete.

If that is what attracts you, that's fine - it's your choice; but those events are generally regarded by more discerning visitors not as 'Exhibitions' in the traditional sense, but more like a "Swapmeet with a few (variable quality) layouts thrown in"...

Newportnobby

Quote from: PLD on August 29, 2015, 08:56:47 AM
Quote from: scruff on August 28, 2015, 10:39:04 PM

All this talk of 'Bargain Hunting' at shows is a recent thing... It has never really been the case at shows of any quality.

Sorry, Paul, but I have to disagree with you there. Either that or I have been attending poor quality shows for the last 4 years, and I don't necessarily believe that to be the case :no:

scruff

I was thinking more on the lines of no "show specials" being available any more from the retailers at shows.
I have always kept an eye out for bargains at shows for the last 35 years so it is not a new thing for me.

As for the layouts, I always tend to dwell by the ones that are operated realistically but tend to skip the more "train set" ones.

Cheers
Mark

NeMo

Quote from: PLD on August 29, 2015, 08:56:47 AM
If that is what attracts you, that's fine - it's your choice; but those events are generally regarded by more discerning visitors not as 'Exhibitions' in the traditional sense, but more like a "Swapmeet with a few (variable quality) layouts thrown in"...

In my opinion, "generally regarded" (by whom?) and "more discerning" (compared to whom?) are the dangerous words here, because it implies there's an elite who know better than the riffraff.

But why should the layouts alone be the benchmark for a good exhibition? Why shouldn't it be the shopping opportunities as well?

It's a question of personal taste rather than anything else. One man's meat is another man's poison. You might like realistic layouts that I find boring, and conversely, I might enjoy an unrealistically busy locomotive depot layout that irritates the pants off you with its inefficient shunting and wasteful concentration of motive power!

When it comes to exhibitions there really is no "right" way to do it, and any talk of quality is merely dressing up personal opinion as objective fact. Good shows will manage to cover all the bases, with busy, attractive layouts alongside a range of useful traders. Even better if there are some bargains on offer!

I'm thinking of visiting TINGS this year. Including the train fare and the bus connection that'll be £30.50. After spending that getting there, what's wrong in expecting a few bargains?

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

scruff

Put me down as one of the Riffraff please!!  :-[  :D

Cheers
Mark

Newportnobby

Quote from: scruff on August 29, 2015, 05:54:51 PM
Put me down as one of the Riffraff please!!  :-[  :D

Cheers
Mark

Obviously I fall into that group as well :laugh:

Oldman

Definitely a member of the riffraff here but rarely attend exhibitions because I only tend to get to local ones and have a senior moment forgetting that they are on
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

MikeDunn

Quote from: newportnobby on August 29, 2015, 09:06:08 PM
Obviously I fall into that group as well :laugh:
I always thought of you as more Magenta than RiffRaff  :P

Newportnobby

As a point of interest could I make a plea for folks attending exhibitions to post some pics so those too far away from the venue can see what they missed (and maybe gain some ideas)? It would also allow us all to see those layouts that don't travel far from their base but maybe exist on 'the local circuit'.
:photospleasesign:
:thankyousign:

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations