Exhibitions

Started by texhorse, August 23, 2015, 08:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leachsprite4

I have only attend four different exhibitions although several repeat attendances over many years.

To me what makes an exhibition work is the time and space to study, watch and learn. I spent one year watching a relatively NSE layout and not a second at a steam steam/diesel transition layout (which was apparently the greatest layout at the show) because I couldn't get near it. I learned loads from the NSE one with modern structures and fine detailing. Trust me I don't like NSE ( :sorrysign:) normally but was very impressed.

At 6 foot I would prefer layouts at say at 120cm to 150cm off the ground. I don't want them so I am looking at carriage roofs and having to stoop to look across scenery. That said I know this isn't easy or best for operators and all modellers. 

I always aim to learn something from each layout and this helps me enjoy them more. A big question earlier in the thread about quick assessments of layouts and the need for trains running all the time, is this a knock on of society and the need for instant satisfaction?

Good trade support is essential, but not bargains (they are a nice add on).

The local shows I have attended exhibitors and operators seem under less pressure to perform. With this they seem more willing to talk, or have more time. This was the case as TINGs but its moving away in my opinion. That said some operators still go out their way to talk to the public and help with enquiries.

I now avoid Warley its just too busy and the lighting of the hall is always very dull. TINGs is getting busy as well and it is a concern. I wonder if there is a bigger issue that should be considered. Do the events have a limit on number attending at any one time and is it the correct limit, both from a safety and enjoyment level? This may sound silly, but Legoland closes its doors when too many people are attending!

One final point I am going to TINGs this year, simply to see the Sheaf again before its retired.

Graham

JasonBz

Its coming up to "Exhibition Season" and I haven't been to many for the last couple of years, so I should be abel to get a few snaps of what is out there :)

PLD

Quote from: PLD on August 29, 2015, 08:56:47 AMAll this talk of 'Bargain Hunting' at shows is a recent thing...
I thought that would stir things...  ;)

The comment I responded to:
Quote from: scruff on August 28, 2015, 10:39:04 PM
I think the Bachmann price fixing thing is stifling competition and making the retailers seem very underwhelming because bargain hunting is no fun any more!
Clearly refers  specifically to a Bachmann pricing policy which applies only for the first 12 weeks after release of a new RTR item, so it is only the very latest RTR releases that are relevant to that post...

If that is your main purpose for visiting, you will almost certainly have better luck at your local 'Swapmeet' or 'Toy Fair' than a model railway exhibition. At traditional type shows there never was a time when you saw row on row of stands competing for that sector of the market. It is only at the likes of the Warners shows that you do see that duplication/overlap and the RTR merchants have no option but to cut to the bone to compete.

Quote from: scruff on August 29, 2015, 03:25:45 PMI was thinking more on the lines of no "show specials" being available any more from the retailers at shows.
Actually, many exhibition traders are willing to negotiate a little if you ask nicely, particularly if you are buying multiple items, more so than an automated web-sales computer system will ever be...

Quote from: NeMo on August 29, 2015, 04:26:46 PMBut why should the layouts alone be the benchmark for a good exhibition? Why shouldn't it be the shopping opportunities as well?
Good shows will manage to cover all the bases, with busy, attractive layouts alongside a range of useful traders.
No one ever has said that layouts are the sole criteria - quite the opposite in fact...
Shopping opportunities is certainly part of the overall 'package' but as you say a good show will cover all the bases and that ought to mean a wide range of different types of product not a multiplicity all competing for one small corner of the market. The exhibition is far more useful as an arena to meet the smaller manufacturers and obtain the harder to obtain items than as a RTR collecting spree when exhibition trade stands are never realistically going to be able to compete on price with the big on-line merchants which is what some seem to want... If your primary aim is collecting the latest RTR releases at the lowest possible prices, why bother with the hassle time, and cost of going to a show, much quicker and easier and less stress to do from the comfort of your armchair at home...

Quote from: NeMo on August 29, 2015, 04:26:46 PMI'm thinking of visiting TINGS this year. Including the train fare and the bus connection that'll be £30.50. After spending that getting there, what's wrong in expecting a few bargains?
Nothing, but should you let a lack of those bargains spoil the day out? should you judge the whole show purely on that basis??
For some commentators it also how realistic that level of expectation is - we had one comment earlier along the lines of "Exhibition prices should be at least 10% less than Hattons on line price" which is borderline fantasy - that would probably mean the trader giving you a loco for less than they paid Bachmann for it!!!

JasonBz

Id agree with PLD there.
At an exhibition I don't want to see stall after stall of RTR stuff - I like to see those traders who sell "interesting and hard to find items".

As to the layouts I like to see ones that are different to what I'm principally interested in, its good to widen ones horizons and see continental or US prototypes or pre-grouping, O gauge etc Though it is always good to know there will be at least one layout that fits my interests; at least then I know its worth the trip :)

Id also like at least most of the exhibits to be to as good a standard all round as anything I can do - After all I am paying to get in :D

MalcolmInN

Quote from: scruff on August 28, 2015, 10:39:04 PM
I think the Bachmann price fixing thing is stifling competition and making the retailers seem very underwhelming because bargain hunting is no fun any more!
Re price fixing  :
wasnt it the Edward Heath Gov,, +/- maybe Wilson or Thatcher,,  that outlawed Retail Price Maintainance ?
so how are BachFar getting round this ?
or is there just not enough of us to do a 'class action' or other means of matter ?

JasonBz

Its not really price fixing (much) :-\
Its saying that a Retailer can't offer more than a 15% discount for 12 weeks after issue of a new model.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: JasonBz on August 30, 2015, 01:13:21 AM
Its not really price fixing (much) :-\
Its saying that a Retailer can't offer more than a 15% discount for 12 weeks after issue of a new model.
Yer, not much ! ye right !!  :laughabovepost:
So it's fixed (maintained- whilst the retailers are obliged on pain of death of their business, didnt the Godfather/F.F.Cuppola have something to say about this ?) at 15% for 12 weeks who's the pudsy
we put up with it cos they hold all the cards ?
If we all do an informal 'class action' of not buying anything for 12weeks nor on pre-order then wot
yer, I know, pigs might fly !!

If they are confident in, or of, their product to stand on its own merit it should not need, , , oh, I was going to bed , quiet in the back row ,,,

JasonBz

I would agree that it is a bit "borderline" but I also think that in the model railway market its better to have a supplier than to not have one; if someone decided the market wasn't profitable to continue supplying.
I'm not really a "Collector" type of buyer, I just get hold of any stuff that suits whatever it is that I'm doing so im not very price sensitive in that way.

CarriageShed

Quote from: newportnobby on August 29, 2015, 09:56:21 PM
Quote from: MikeDunn on August 29, 2015, 09:21:34 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on August 29, 2015, 09:06:08 PM
Obviously I fall into that group as well :laugh:
I always thought of you as more Magenta than RiffRaff  :P

Qué? ???

Rocky Horror Show, Nobby. They're the two who actually run the house while Rocky is prancing about in his suspenders.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Pete33 on August 30, 2015, 10:27:54 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on August 29, 2015, 09:56:21 PM
Quote from: MikeDunn on August 29, 2015, 09:21:34 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on August 29, 2015, 09:06:08 PM
Obviously I fall into that group as well :laugh:
I always thought of you as more Magenta than RiffRaff  :P

Qué? ???

Rocky Horror Show, Nobby. They're the two who actually run the house while Rocky is prancing about in his suspenders.

Thanks, Pete. I saw the original cast show in London all those years ago but brain fade wouldn't allow recall :-[
Back to the subject.........I do agree with Paul (PLD) about the biggest shows not really catering to those looking for bargains but I still maintain the smaller shows organised by Model Railway Clubs can be a great source of bargains - particularly from their Club second hand stall.
Whichever show you attend, if you buy a loco please ask one of the layout owners to run it for you such that, if there's a problem, you can immediately take it back whence it was bought.

Chris Morris

Sorry to sound miserable but people coming along asking you to test their just purchased loco while you are concentrating on operating your layout can be a bad thing.

This does depend on circumstances. If there is nobody around so I am not trying to put on a show for anyone then I am more than happy to test other peoples locos. If there are paying customers watching my layout being run then it is wrong to stop this to test a loco. Many large exhibitions, such as the Warley NEC show, have a test track stand.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Newportnobby

I appreciate what you're saying, Chris, and wouldn't dream of interrupting anyone who is busy but there are opportunities to ask the question nicely (and it always helps if the operators are forum members or at least known to me ;))
Bealman from Oz bought a Farish Deltic at the Wigan show and we found somewhere for it to be tested as it would have been a great shame for him to get home and find any faults.

MikeDunn

Quote from: newportnobby on August 30, 2015, 12:05:24 PM
Bealman from Oz bought a Farish Deltic at the Wigan show and we found somewhere for it to be tested as it would have been a great shame for him to get home and find any faults.
It's exactly this issue that stops be buying electronic stock at shows - will they / won't they work ...  OK, not as much of a risk from the box shifters (well, apart from getting a known-iffy loco !) but from smaller retailers ...  :hmmm:  And no, I don't use the 'Bay for that either.  Carriages / wagons I'm more relaxed on.

Much prefer to buy my locos from my local retailer (and his show prices are almost always the same as his retail prices !  But with the advantage the shop has a track to ensure running is OK).

joe cassidy

I think that exhibitions should be free, and that there should be a collection box prominently positioned by each layout.

That would provide a way of measuring the success of each layout, and maybe we could have a ranking system, like for tennis players ?

Best regards,

Joe
(tongue in cheek - maybe)

MikeDunn

Well, that's one way to ensure no exhibitions happen in future ...  :goggleeyes:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations