!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Loxhore & Strathern, Woodhuish Railway  (Read 3989 times)

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Loxhore & Strathern, Woodhuish Railway
« on: August 26, 2015, 09:06:27 pm »
ok so I am new to the forum but this is a rough guide to my layout.

Firstly it is a preserved railway, I live on an former LNWR route in the midlands and originally started with a preference of crimson lake coaches and Maroon locos. However from this I have deviated somewhat as for no obvious reason I drifted to the GWR (my local preserved line is the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway) then following two holidays in north Devon grew very much into southern region.

Add to this inspiration from the Holiday Haunts layout and several holidays in South Devon and we have my influences.

So, from this I have developed a layout which is for all intense and purposes is a double track oval, has two stations on scene and a third plus main line rail connection off scene. It is just under a scale mile in length, so enables good length trains to be run. However I can also run end to end services which is what normally happens on a good operating day.

Writing this realised that the two stations I have are Strathern (Orgaswick Road) and Woodhuish. Now the third station off scene needs to start with an L and I can have the initials L&SWR in the same way the Gloucestershire & Wariwckshire Railway have GWR. [edit (27 August 2015) the L now stands for Loxhore].

I am 7 years into this shed based project, although really this has been an idea developing since I started modelling when I was 14 (some 20 years ago), using my dads lonestar electrics track, a minitrix ivatt and a couple of wagons.

So photos I hear you cry, here goes:

The above is an overview looking south from Woodhuish about 12 months ago. I will get more pictures once my phone is back working. I have been mulling over joining for while, below is a photo from Easter this year for GWR125.

It is Hinton Manor, sat at Woodhuish waiting for the signal, with a Siphon and rake of GWR liveried collets. Sadly I couldn't afford colour film in 1960.

A final one for today again from GWR125 at easter, if I recall Foxcote Manor sat at Woodhuish. A Pannier held outside the station with the shunters truck heading for the town beginning with L. The shunters truck was a semi scratch build from a cut down 9ft peco wagon chassis (yep the numpty I am I didn't even use a brake van chassis). I got the idea for this from either  forum, N'spirtions, or the N Gauge Journal I can't recall which.

Tomorrow Strathern, home of the steam loco department and a lot of sidings. 

Graham
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:51:04 am by leachsprite4, Reason: Confirming third station name »

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
Re: Loxhore & Strathern, Woodhuish Railway
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 07:48:50 am »
Just to say after some intensive and detailed research last night, the L in my railway has become Loxhore a small village in North Devon.
Graham

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 08:01:34 am »
Thanks for a very comprehensive intro to your layout, and great photos.

I for one shall be following progress, as I'm sure will others.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:08:23 pm »
On to Strathern, there is a land (and rail) between the two station areas but that will be shared at a later date.

Photos working from the Northern end to the South.

firstly the loco shed area

The shed is a scratch built modern industrial type design. It has three covered lines capable of holding two large steam locos on each line. There is a fourth line to the side of the shed. Each of the four lines can hold five large steam locos each.

Looking north from the previous picture

The signal box has since been relocated and a new one will be purchased for this location and I am also looking for a new station footbridge.

A view of the station building through the terraced houses

Final shot of the bridge at the far end.

The goodshed has now been relocated to Woodhuish, and the windows replaced with etched brass frames (which in my view makes a massive improvement to the building).

Things have also changed in the housing area with a lot more houses now in various stages of development, most waiting to be painted.

I am tempted by a turntable but then I may begin to overcrowd the baseboards, which in my view are getting cramped already.

Now what would really help is a track plan for the two stations (both for me and forum users) which I will work on over the next week or two, but some modelling may get in the way of that.

Graham

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:36:21 pm »
Coming along a treat, Graham :thumbsup:

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 07:05:10 am »
Thanks for the update.

The long bridge works really well.

Dave G

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 07:22:27 am »
Thank. You Dave, the bridge was inspired by the one just ahead of the great central railway engine shed, thus creating a small area to break up the overall scene.
Graham

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 12:05:25 pm »
Here goes nothing first try at you tube, this is a test of a video in 2014. If it works I have some more from 2014 and some from this year

https://youtu.be/IqpptpvfD8Q

Graham

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 12:08:34 pm »
So it worked here are a collection from 2014 the titles of the video are self explanatory. All are in the Woodhuish area of my layout.

https://youtu.be/Ry3Dth6d228

https://youtu.be/I4C3FMP76x0

https://youtu.be/Tei3whrXX-A

https://youtu.be/UkC4r6ixp84

Next up some photos 2 years on in January 2016. I really need to make more of an effort to progress this layout!

Graham

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 12:10:24 pm »
So this is Woodhuish as of yesterday:

Now for some videos from last night.

Graham

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 12:14:53 pm »
So these are a few quick videos from my mobile phone last night, again the titles self explanatory.

https://youtu.be/u-isJ3K3bv4

https://youtu.be/EHbAZ88_crE

https://youtu.be/9UGmTIwDT68

https://youtu.be/PsatfiZVLzM

The M7 numbering is poor I need to replace this. Worth noting I have not added any weight to it at all and indeed it is running without the weighted coal load in the bunker! Also the journey up to the bridge is up hill, so is this a record for a Dapol M7, 5 coaches on the back and not slipping?

Graham

Offline leachsprite4

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 12:20:39 pm »
The end for today.

A new signal box sat at Strathern.

Between Woodhuish and Strathern is this small viaduct

There have also been developments with a severn models farms house, severn models sheds and a peco double track road bridge all on the work bench.

The Severn Models etched brass kits really are great so will try to get pictures posted soon.

Graham

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 12:27:40 pm »
Love long bridges and viaducts and you've got them both, this looks like it is going to be a cracker.  :thumbsup:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 02:12:51 pm »
All the white polystyrene and grey skies.... at first glance I thought it was a winter photo on the S & C!!  ;D

Excellent work.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 02:31:02 pm »
Looking good.
Looking forward to seeing the scenic work under the viaduct
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here