!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Unhappy Thread  (Read 115936 times)

Offline daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Re: Unhappy Thread
« Reply #1635 on: October 10, 2019, 01:04:42 PM »
Interesting to know how/when battery is charged affects the battery life on modern phones and tablets.

Re my iPad battery problem: took it to the Apple Store in Milton Keynes yesterday (a near 5 hour drive round trip!) but able to visit family and do shopping too, so not too bad. Good diagnosis of dead/"swollen" battery and immediate decision by them that it would be replaced by same, new, unused model there and then. So far so good.

Problem was they didn't have one in stock, but could get one in three days. Second problem is that I would HAVE to collect, they won't deliver/post it to me. :hmmm: :( :thumbsdown:

Nice young lady advises I could contact Apple Support and ask them to send out a postal pack to return mine and get replacement sent ASAP. Fair idea I thought, not wishing to do another 5 hour drive.

Contacted Apple Support this morning about this. In short - what a  :censored: :censored: palaver! :veryangry:

By the time I had endured over two hours of phone calls - NO exaggeration - and talking to a real stupid and unknowledgeable 'advisor', then finding all contact telephone numbers end up being routed to the same automated female voice who (?) claims she (it?) can understand full sentences, but in fact just hurls me into the dark abyss of dead (after over five minutes of patient waiting) or musically adorned unanswered lines, I was fit to scream. :veryangry:

Eventually I get through to someone who does seem to know most of what they needed to know, and now I'm waiting for a postal pack, will then send my iPad to them, and, upon checking after they receive it, they will send me a new iPad.

All in all, Apple may charge a fortune for their devices; their Apple Store may be full of clever techies who know how to help (I lost count of how many Apple logo T-shirt wearing staff I saw in the MK store. Lets just say lots and lots), but their telephone lines are a disgrace and some of their Apple Support telephone advisors don't know what 'customer service' is supposed to mean. :no: Nor, so it seems to me have much of a clue about their company's own procedures and practises. :veryangry:

But as far as batteries are concerned on iPads - if it's failed they will replace entire iPad with the same, unused model, for a fee of £89 plus £7.44 postage. A 2014 iPad like mine is evidently not a common beast in unused form now, so I imagine that next time it fails I'll have to buy a new one.

As to where all these now defunct batteries end up is anybody's guess. Perhaps a geologist in a few million years time will be able to identify the times we are living in today as a distinct dark layer in the sedimentary rock layers, characterised by a high level of lithium, plastic, some traces of other heavy and precious metals, and the stench of long-dead environmental dreams.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:06:07 PM by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #1636 on: October 10, 2019, 06:08:30 PM »
I’ve just opened by bag of “5” capacities that I ordered from eBay a few days ago. Only to find that the single item was a packet of 5. So I now have 25!

If anybody is in the market for 470u 16v capacitors then I’m your man!  :help:
Gold Hill - my rule 1, “just for fun” micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1637 on: October 10, 2019, 06:15:41 PM »
Look at it this way - you can put the spare 24 in a safe place and then, when you need another, (in a couplee of years?), you will not be able to find them, so you can order another 1, (or 25).  :D
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #1638 on: October 10, 2019, 06:17:40 PM »
Apparently Apple are working on a solution to the battery problem - clockwork computers/phones.

Remember, I told you about it first :D

Offline Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #1639 on: October 10, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »
There is an article on the BBC that says that even in 200 years Artificial Intelligence will never be able to replace politicians.  That was my last hope I was hoping for something positive before the end of the month  :D

Apparently they cannot make them stupid enough  8)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1640 on: October 10, 2019, 09:22:25 PM »
Perhaps a geologist in a few million years time will be able to identify the times we are living in today as a distinct dark layer in the sedimentary rock layers, characterised by a high level of lithium, plastic, some traces of other heavy and precious metals, and the stench of long-dead environmental dreams.

Actually I'm sure I saw that episode of Star Trek Voyager not so long ago.

Offline Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #1641 on: October 10, 2019, 09:25:15 PM »
Perhaps a geologist in a few million years time will be able to identify the times we are living in today as a distinct dark layer in the sedimentary rock layers, characterised by a high level of lithium, plastic, some traces of other heavy and precious metals, and the stench of long-dead environmental dreams.

Actually I'm sure I saw that episode of Star Trek Voyager not so long ago.

Look on the bright side, there will still be a geologist alive in a few million years time.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £61.00
Below Goal: £39.00
Site Currency: GBP
61% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything