What is your favourite British Steam Locomotive of all time?

Started by SymonC, May 24, 2011, 08:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Trainfish

Being a blue with yellow ends man myself the kettles below are my favourite

That should upset a few forum members  :angel:
John

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

EtchedPixels

The Barry locos were ultimately a vital resource for preservation
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

MinZaPint

Quote from: Trainfish on February 09, 2013, 12:56:08 AM
Being a blue with yellow ends man myself the kettles below are my favourite

That should upset a few forum members  :angel:

Too right  :veryangry:

To you! so there  :claphappy:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

petercharlesfagg

Friends,
Do not know what the details are although I think it was something about the Battle of Britain,but as a boy I used to watch the "Golden Arrow" pass through Chelsfield station in Kent!

Regards Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Newportnobby

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on February 14, 2013, 06:17:44 PM
Friends,
Do not know what the details are although I think it was something about the Battle of Britain,but as a boy I used to watch the "Golden Arrow" pass through Chelsfield station in Kent!

Regards Peter.

The Golden Arrow was hauled in the main by Bulleid Pacifics. Either the Battle of Britain/West Country or the Merchant Navy class. I think the odd Britannia class was also used ???

petercharlesfagg

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

Karhedron

Quote from: port perran on May 25, 2011, 07:43:55 AM
Probably GWR Heavy Freight (and mixed traffic as it happens) 47XX series.
Good call. Handsome, well-proportioned machines that just oozed power! I keep hoping we may see one frmo Dapol eventually since they have both the 3500-gallon churchward and 4000-gallon collett tender drives that these locos were paired with.

Failing the Castle comes a close second. I would love one of these to modern standards.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Lankyman

Just picked up this thread so need to say my favourite of all time would be the L&Y Pug. Oh to have one of those on my layout, DCC fitted, of course. A close second would be the ex-LMS Crab because it is ugly but a great workhorse (I have one of these.) Then I could wax on about other LMR locos, Scots, Patriots, Jubilees, Jinties etc with a special mention of the ugly Ivatt Class 4 2-6-0's and the charming Ivatt class 2 (looking forward to that one coming out soon.) But very high up in my list of favourites is the Adams 4-4-2 Radial tanks that used to work the Lyme Regis branch. I remember these from my childhood when the Oldham Battalion of the Boys' brigade used to go to camp in Lyme Regis the last week in June. We had five coaches attached to the overnight Olham Wakes special from Oldham (Clegg Street) to Bournemouth via Bath Green Park and the Somerset and Dorset. Our coaches were detached at Templecombe and worked down to Axminster where they were taken down the branch with two of the three surviving Adams tanks (always 30582 and 30584.) Although my layout is based on the LMR somewhere in the North West I would always find room for one of these if it came along.

Ron
Ron

Brinley

To me, my first favourite must be the Peppercorn A1 - Tornado and my second favourite is the Terrier - Freshwater. But then, any steam locomotive is beautiful!

d-a-n

I love anything streamlined (Coronation class, A4, Battle of Britain, Milwaukee F7s etc) and although it's not British, I like the enormous, workmanlike American locomotives (Allegheny 2-6-6-6, Challenger 4-6-6-4 or Big Boy 4-8-8-4). I have a soft spot for oddball Bulleid stuff, especially the 'Leader' and come to think of it, other pretty Southern locos like the M7 tanks.

My very favourite locomotive is the elegant Schools class locomotive. I cannot wait for its release and I really hope we see a Maunsell green one as this is the livery which the Hornby O gauge one came in and that model looks so right compared to all the other inaccurate offerings of the time!!

TimothyB

From my formative years in the early 60's, initially being taken by my parents to the footbridge over the down yard of Wimbledon Station (and later pestering them to do so) early-ish on summer Saturday mornings to watch the likes of Bullied Pacifics (rebuilt MNs, WCs & BoBs originals and rebuilt) and Standard Class 7s hauling the holiday expresses to the West Country, these have to be my favourites.

The one main thing I learned from bitter experience which has come in useful photographing the preserved stuff is don't stand on the over-bridge directly over the running line unless you want to disappear in a cloud of steam, smoke and smuts.

The sad thing is that we didn't realize at the time that these were the twilight years of steam so didn't think to take a camera to record what seemed such an everyday event, then it all came to a halt - no more steam... sob, sob...

Regards to all
Timothy B

petercharlesfagg

Agrippa

I like the Stirling 4-2-2 with its 8ft driving wheels, however the
possibility of an N gauge version is pretty remote.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Christina

I'm going to be boring and say the A4 Pacific Mallard. When I was young it was just the train. My best birthday present was the Hornby Mallard. Still got it, will never ever get rid of it.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%